Charity Shops, Do You Shop in Them?

Browsing in a charity shop recently I went into a box with bric a brac and picked up a packet of what looked like sheer tights . I saw the top was open and to my surprise a small handful of cards fell into my hand . I started to read them , they were love letters and cards written in the most beautiful loving way to this lady whose address was still on each envelope. Probably about 6 beautiful loving letters and cards . I called the manager over and showed her . She told me she would try to find the owner of them . They really were touching and beautifully written .

Someone must have been clearing out a drawer and thinking the pkt was a pair of tights put them out for charity. Possibly the lady who the letters were for was unaware they had been given away .

I hope the owner or family of the letters gets them back . I will phone sometime and speak with the manager and find out

3 Likes

Yes I have some very sad letters, I would really hate to have lost them.
I have copies on the PC as well…

1 Like

In the 70s my sister in law had to buy her baby clothes from a charity shop because she couldn’t afford new and I bought 3 ornaments with cats painted on, they were 50p each.
My son has bought jigsaw puzzles from one many years ago.

1 Like

On Monday morning, Daughter & I went to Tiverton & in a charity shop we bought two large Beswick cats, a tabby & a white. They are now on my window sill. They were £4.50 each, a bargain.

3 Likes

I used to be an avid customer in all of our local charity shops and then covid-19 rules came in; I refuse to queue up outside in all weathers just to look through what’s available on a one customer at a time basis. When the shopping situation returns fully to how it used to be, then and only then I’ll return.

2 Likes

We have to queue outside our new Bakers…the new owners bread is excellent…cakes I only look at :wink:…they must do a great trade in filled rolls as in the mornings there are a huge amount in one of the cabinets…So far never been raining…

2 Likes

We have a famous local pie and cooked pastry shop and when they realised they were loosing customers, a whole new approach was taken and now they have sensible queuing and telephone ordering with an outside window for order collections. What’s that … my favourite? Steak and Stilton​:ok_hand::+1:
Turner’s Pies

1 Like

£5.00 a few years ago in Bexhill on Sea…loads of excellent Charity Shops there…

3 Likes

Nice looking boots Di. Bargain for £5. :grinning:

1 Like

Our local Hope Charity, supporting just Animals, has lots and lots of material in there Haberdashery dept…
here is just a peep at a few…

They will be open Thursday, so looking forward to buying some…

3 Likes

Oh yes, bought these on Wednesday in Newbury charity shop, brand new, never been worn,

£6…bargain. she had only just put them in the window she told me,:+1:

2 Likes

I grew up in the 50s/60s. We couldn’t afford new clothes all the time. Clothes were passed around amongst relatives.

1 Like

Only for books when I go away then I can read them and leave them .
I do give a lot of stuff to charity shops

My husband and I went shopping one day. We passed a big charity shop near the car park and I saw a lovely Portmeirion dish. I didn’t have that particular one in my collection. Husband said we’ll buy it on the way back.

I’m sure you can guess the next bit. :frowning_face:. That’s right, it had been sold. I should have reserved it

1 Like

Too bad you missed it. I believe when we miss stuff it just means something better is on its way.
The belief has served me well thus far. :heart:

Now those I like. :grin:

How lovely! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Like Muddy said, I mostly look for books in these shops.

Hi

Funny you should say that. Last year I saw a stunning Portmeirion serving dish in a local charity shop. It looked as if it had rarely been used and, as a bonus, it didn’t look as if it were seconds, I bought it there and then :smiley:

Even better I found an extra large plant pot, not a scratch on it. I bought it and searched online but couldn’t find another. I took some photos and emailed them to the Portmeirion customer services. It turns out it was of the original items and is very rare. :grin: I’m not selling it though

I have had a few disaster buys also. Saw a Poole sitting rabbit in a local charity shop & picked it up, £2, bargain I thought, I did examine it but never noticed the crack, got it home, put my glasses on & it had been stuck back together the whole side had been broken off, must admit it had been done well though & I’d never noticed. Note to self, always take specs with you on thinking of buying china items. It was only £2 so I wasn’t too upset & the charity got the money.

How I missed that I don’t know!

1 Like