Capitol riot: 'QAnon Shaman' pleads guilty in federal court

Jacob Anthony Chansley was one of thousands of Trump supporters who attempted to prevent the US Congress from certifying the 2020 election. Chansley pleaded guilty on Friday to one felony count of obstruction in an official proceeding. He has been in custody for eight months. He is due to be sentenced in November and could face up to 51 months in prison. His attorney Albert Watkins told the court on Friday his client was “non-violent, peaceful and possessed of genuine mental health issues”.

Nearly 600 people have been charged in the federal investigation of the riot. At least 36 defendants have to date pleaded guilty, eight of whom have pleaded guilty to felonies, according to CBS News.

Chansley became the de facto face of the siege, pictured amid the unrest in horns and a bearskin headdress, with the American flag painted on his face. He called himself the “QAnon Shaman”. QAnon is a wide-ranging conspiracy theory whose followers believe former President Donald Trump was waging a secret war against elite Satan-worshipping paedophiles in government, business and the media.

Faced with the prospect of a very long prison term, Chansley recanted … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

good mental health reaction then - prompted perhaps? naughty boy! slap slap now don’t you ever do that again - is Trump footing any legal bills?

Trump has dissociated himself from the rioters, AFAIK.

Here’s more on the story:

While he has been in detention, Chansley underwent psychological examinations and was diagnosed by prison officials with transient schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression and anxiety.

He said it “wounded me so deeply and why it disappointed me so greatly that I and others did not get a pardon” from Trump.

The crime Chansley pleaded guilty to carried a maximum 20-year prison term and a $250,000 (£180,000) fine.

well we all saw it played out didn’t we - Trump urging his followers forward to capitol hill and even exclaiming at one point something to the effect " let’s walk together…" then of course he didn’t ; even he is not that stupid but quite happily let his band of merry men go forth after lighting the fuse. And then as the coward he really is did not chose to pardon his most faithful warriors?

1 Like

From a report I saw a few days ago, Trump, his family & a few close associates are rather busy attempting to stop their phone records from being looked at from the period when the riot happened.

2 Likes

I bet they are he has already had his tax documents exposed - he knows he’s being chased

1 Like

His tax documents were reviewed in 2015. Nothing found … just hysteria from the Never Trump ideologists.

You got Biden into power anyway … you should be celebrating his 7 months in power. Why are you so worried about a former President ?

HIs friends, his followers, the rioters, are now being brought to the courts daily, it will take time, but when all have been sentenced, and the truth comes out, the Feds will move on Trump. To think, a president could invoke such disgusting attempts as to destroy our Capital, and what it stands for is despicable.

Oh, Trump and his family are continuing to stay under investigation. Tax records have proven to involve fraud, tax evasion, and encompassed everyone and everything Trump ever touched. Saying this, by his own admission, Trump has touted he is aware of every move of everyone involved with him and his finances over 30 years. He’s hanging himself, with every pat on his back by his own crooked left arm.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Authorities have over 130 ongoing investigations, just criminal side. Let’s leave the other 100 or so civil crimes for another day.

Your making things up again. Remember his failed impeachment ?

This was not the insurrection the hard left trump haters invented. Far from it.