Can You Solve This Mystery For Me?

Before 8am this morning. I went out into my garden to feed my hens. In the middle of my lawn, l noticed three white bits and l went over to investigate.
I couldn’t believe there were two disposable nappies and a paper serviette with bits of ice on the lawn.
I thought maybe a crow had dropped them there, or a fox but why the ice?
Maybe, you can solve the mystery?

2 Likes

Have you annoyed your neighbours recently? Wouldn’t surprise me to hear you had :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you sure it’s ice, and not the absorbent crystal things the nappies have in them?

1 Like

Dextrous, I don’t have any neighbours!

2 Likes

Can’t imagine why!!

2 Likes

Just a thought, could they have come from an aircraft? Babies do travel by air with parents and more than likely would need changing. If they were somehow from an aircraft flying really high then ice could form on them. The litter problem is bad enough ‘down here’ without it coming from ‘up there’, it’s a possibility though. :grinning:

Edited to add: I see Artangel has already mentioned this, beat me to it! :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Ooh that’s a clever suggestion @Baz46! I woouldn’t have thought of that.

1 Like

Oh, l didn’t know they had crystal stuff in them!
I thought they’d been chucked out of an aeroplane? Ha!

So, somebody threw the foul remnants out of a window … :thinking:

1 Like

I thought, l’d read somewhere that the contents of aeroplane toilets were dumped out of the plane in mid air?

1 Like

Baz, Great minds think alike!!

Exactly right Artangel – it was just the first thing that came to mind, although I did wonder how it might have exited the aircraft but that has now also been answered, again by yourself. :grinning:

1 Like

That’s not only illegal but, usually, technically impossible, as is opening an aircraft window at 30,000 feet … :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have just checked and the ‘ice’ is still there. If it had been proper ice, it would have melted in the sun by now.

I heaved as l had to pick the nappies up on a shovel and dispose of them!

Confirming that the ‘ice’ is in fact crystals that doesn’t solve the mystery. No one had come through my gate and no one can access my garden from the roadside. The nappies couldn’t have been thrown over the trees from the road… well …unless they were javelin or shot put throwers!

Not even over the sea?

Not anywhere:

https://simpleflying.com/aircraft-toilets-2/

3 Likes

What about, ‘Blue Ice’?

“Quote”…Blue ice, in the context of aviation, is frozen sewage material that has leaked mid-flight from commercial aircraft lavatory waste systems. It is a mixture of human biowaste and liquid disinfectant that freezes at high altitude. The name comes from the blue color of the disinfectant.

@Artangel Maybe a shytehawk dropped it Arty ??

Donkeyman! :+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

1 Like

As the extract above implies it’s an unwanted, and rare, leakage … :man_shrugging:

There were at least 27 documented incidents of blue ice impacts in the United States between 1979 and 2003. These incidents typically happen under airport landing paths as the mass warms sufficiently to detach from the plane during its descent. A rare incident of falling blue ice causing damage to the roof of a home was reported on October 20, 2006 in Chino, California. A similar incident was reported in Leicester, UK, in 2007.

In 1971, a chunk of ice from an aircraft tore a large hole in the roof of the Essex Street Chapel in Kensington, London, and was one trigger for the demolition of the building.

In November 2011, a chunk of ice, the size of an orange, broke through the roof of a private house in Ratingen-Hösel, Germany.

In February 2013, a “football sized” ball of blue ice smashed through a conservatory roof in Clanfield, Hampshire, causing around £10,000 worth of damage.

In October 2016, a chunk of ice tore a hole in a private house in Amstelveen, The Netherlands.

In two incidents in May 2018, chunks of blue ice fell onto residents in Kelowna, British Columbia.

In November 2018, a chunk of ice fell from the sky and crashed through the roof of a home in Bristol, England.

1 Like

We witnessed several times, fuel being dumped from airplanes before there imminent landing…
Bexhill on Sea…it was like a vapeur thinly flowing like long formed clouds , right above us in our Garden…When we realised what is was we enquired and complained…deaf ears syndrome is all we received…
So things can be dumped from planes in flight…100%

1 Like

Donkeyman, That’s funny!
Probably it was a Fox?