Can you reverse park?

Yes, I can reverse park. I only use my mirrors even though I’ve got the fancy active parking assist (where the car parks itself) sensors and camera. Never used the active parking assist since I got my car. Hill start assist is a whole other story… :oncoming_automobile:

3 Likes

When and if you are eligible for a ‘blue badge’, there is no hassle in supermarkets and the like as they have wider bays up close to the store’s entrance/exit. The knack with those is making sure you find out the least popular time such badge holders shop and then spaces are usually available :+1:

3 Likes

My car has 5 cameras, so get overhead view as well as rear view

1 Like

Yes I’ve got some sort of thing that keeps beeping and screams when I get too close to something solid. Mostly manage OK if after a couple of attempts!

1 Like

No need to buy a new camera then, just take your car. :wink:

1 Like

For me, it was a habit which was put upon me. When I was working, reverse parking was a health and safety directive which had to be followed wherever possible. Having done it so long, it comes second nature.

That said, having retired with a new car, it comes with parking sensors, cameras and an automatic self-park facility if you struggle to squeeze into a tight spot, the car will park itself - but I’ve never used it as I don’t trust it enough not to accidentally clip another car.

Reversing is “Mrs G’s” greatest weakness and will park anyhow regardless.

1 Like

I can reverse park, but would advise other motorists not to be in the vicinity at the time!

3 Likes

I used to be OK at reverse parking in my working days with the company cars. Not so good now though. Over the last almost 30 years, I had to always drive into a space forward so that there’s room to hoist out/in the wheelchair at the back. It takes a good few feet of open space for that, more so now that the car has ramp at the rear. Can’t make use of a tight roadside space for the same reason.

Even though I could try a reverse park when I’m on my own, out of habit, I still always go in forwards. It’s like I’m when walking on my own. I always head for the dropped kerb when crossing roads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been driving for around 65 years and always prefer to parallel park whenever possible but I still get it wrong sometimes. More often than not it’s when someone has come up a bit close behind me and waiting to pass. In those 65 years the volume of vehicles on the road has increased enormously which doesn’t help of course.

2 Likes

I never do anything else but reverse park into a space, you don’t need nearly as much room as going in forwards. Although I can understand why Mart does it.
Driving vans for a living where looking out the back window is impossible, you get used to relying on your door mirrors, although Like EZ I also make a cock up of it sometimes when I’m holding up the traffic and trying to rush it.

1 Like

I am hopeless at parking full stop.

I can’t reverse park & I can’t parallel park unless I have a bus lane to do it in.
I always go in forwards & if I’m unable to do that I look for somewhere else to park.

1 Like

@Bretrick Reverse parking a single vehicle is definitely an easy task, but what does take some careful mirror + hand/eye work is a car transporter with a loaded trailer in tow … now that IS an art aiming both into a width limited space :wink:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the load be too long to fit in an ordinary single parking space? The nose would be across the parking aisles. :flushed:

1 Like

The drivers who control those large trucks are very skillful at their art.
I watched a driver of a very long articulated truck reverse into a work site in the city off a rather narrow street. Fascinated me. He down it in one go, no backing and filling. I applauded him. So skillful.

1 Like

Actually I disagree with that. Reversing a single large trailer is actually easier than reversing a box trailer, basically the longer the trailer the easier it is is to reverse. (I say that as a semi licence holder - well ex)

Reversing a B Double or a road train now that’s a skill

1 Like

That sounds just like many slots in my local supermarkets. Containment is a word I would not use to describe such poor parking :wink:

1 Like

This guy got off to a bad start but got there in the end.

Yeah, parking in tight spots in a necessity in London, Paris too.

1 Like

He’s a better a better man than me d00d, I always reverse park but under those circumstances I would have found somewhere else. It’s even worse when you’re under pressure because you’re holding all the traffic up… :009:

I couldn’t do that, in fact it would be illegal in NSW, you are supposed to leave 1 metre between vehicles.

When I was visiting the UK an old friend of mine did something similar when parking outside her house.

NSW Police use that rule to disrupt motor cycle gangs by booking them for being too close to another vehicle (ie each other)

Yes, but hate it. I only do it as a last resort.