Camera and lens gear for snow leopard + winter wildlife photography

I’m a newbie in wildlife photography and I’m planning to go on this snow leopard photography expedition in February 2027.

What photography gear should I be carrying photography gear (esp. to a remote high altitude region in the Himalayas)?

I know that the snow leopard sightings are quiet far away (normally in 300m to 500m range), the telephoto lens is essential.

Other than that, the full frame vs crop sensor camera is what I’m not sure about.

Also, please suggest a good tripod and binocular.

Have you thought about Micro Four Thirds, smaller and lighter?

Or a Bridge Camera … Sony RX10 24-600mm equivalent.

2 Likes

This is my set up. 200-600mm equiv.

1 Like

I like the easy-to-carry aspect of such mirrorless cameras but I doubt they may not be as good as the traditional full frame single-lens reflex cameras.

Have you thought about a monopod, doubles as a walking stick.

I don’t know where you get the idea that MFT cameras are not as good as full frame cameras. Maybe you are only looking at diehards with blinkers on and anti MFT cameras.
I had Nikon camerasfrom the D70s right through to the D810, then I changed due to weight to Panasonic micro four thirds and it was like coming out of the dark ages.

Best move I ever made camera wise. Not only having dual image stablisation making the Panasic G9 and G9ii the most stable hand hold cameras you could wish for.
Lets get onto lenses. you are not limited ot one make of lens as all MFT make of lenses will fit any MFT camera. you want distance? try holding an 800mm full frame lens without a tripod!
At my age of 81 years old I can easily hand hold a panasonic 100-400mm (200-800mm full frame) lens to get ewven a steady video sequence.

forget a tripod they get in the way and expensive. this is a better option I came up with

8" tripod crossbar
pistol grip and locking nut for camera Cost around £20.
easy to dismantel for travel and takes up no room in a camera bag. No lugging a tripod about and having to set it up by which time you have lost the shot

don’t foget filters for the lens, look up the one you will need to use against white snow etc something
like a UV filter
Add to the cost memory cards . something like this, beware of fakes do not buy from Amazon

Almost foget get a camera wrist strap Peak design do quick release ones

this is my setup

Panasonic G9 with 100-400 leica lens (200-800 mm equiv)