Butter - do you use it?

I’m and out and out butter fan; I would use margerine occasionally but after being told that it is one molecule away from being plastic - that seriously put me off eating it! Olive oil spreads are fine and I might just try the one you recommend daisymay :slight_smile:

Flora - isn’t Marge gal - couldn’t eat that…anyway give the Lurpak a go…:smiley:

It has to be butter for me and a nice salty one … Yum
Toast , crumpets , and bagels

I might just do that - the butter is rock hard every morning (the only time I eat it) so it would be nice to just spread away without mashing it into submission :lol:

We’ll have a try and compare notes afterwards :smiley:

Bags - naughty gal - have you tried the 2 alternatives… I used to love me butter, I tell ya - no difference and just as good on lovely tata’s…
Honestly Karen - give either one a go …

As I eat very little of it I dont feel bad plus I cut back on fat in other ways … I have tryed other things and they are disgusting …
When you butter is hard , slice a few bits at the start of making breakfast , then last few sec’s put on the toast while grill is still warm… spreads well then, Or put it in the airing cupboard over night in a dish…

:lol: Honestly Bags - you are a one gal - they are not disgusting - all in yer mind - I wouldn’t touch them, as I loved me butter. As for leaving in an airing cupboard - na :!:

I buy the Lurpak Spreadable Lighter, but I did think it was about 40% butter anyway. I aslo keep some hard butter in my fridg. Not tried the Lurpak with Olive Oil, but I’ll look for it next time I shop. I’m not keen on the spreads, but OH thinks they are doing him some good - although I’m not sure if they are. He eats the spread I eat butter and I enjoy a dippy egg fried in butter in a sandwich - don’t care if it is not healthy, I like butter. :lol:

I guess it all depends on whether you’re bothered about your health or not. My OH has just had a triple bypass and been going to the rehabilitation classes for several weeks now and the advice he got from the nutritionist was to eat good quality margarine or olive oil mixtures and not butter.

But if you’re not concerned about what butter does to you, then it doesn’t matter. Quote below from Mayo Clinic:

Margarine usually tops butter when it comes to heart health.Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in “good” fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fats help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or “bad,” cholesterol when substituted for saturated fat.

Butter, on the other hand, is made from animal fat, so it contains cholesterol and high levels of saturated fat. But not all margarines are created equal. Some margarines contain trans fat. In general, the more solid the margarine, the more trans fat it contains. So stick margarines usually have more trans fat than tub margarines do. Trans fat, like saturated fat, increases blood cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease. In addition, trans fat lowers high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good,” cholesterol levels. So skip the stick and opt for soft or liquid margarine instead.

Look for a spread with the lowest calories that tastes good to you, doesn’t have trans fats and has the least amount of saturated fat. When comparing spreads, be sure to read the Nutrition Facts panel and check the grams of saturated fat and trans fat. Also, look for products with a low percent Daily Value for cholesterol.

If you have high cholesterol, check with your doctor about using spreads that are fortified with plant stanols and sterols, such as Benecol and Promise Activ, which may help reduce cholesterol levels.

Lurpak Butter nothing else :smiley:

Its been a long time since I believed any thing that the manufacture of any unatural food stuff said about there product . Low fat spreads are mixed with dangerous chemicals that could cause cancers … As I dont suffer from high cholestrol Id rather eat a natural product than some man made product mixure of chemicals . Years ago reports that claimed butter was bad for you were comissioned by these manufacturers to make people paranoid in to buying their products and as normal the adverage comsumer fell for it .
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/lowfat-spreads-can-be-more-harmful--than-butter-673982.html

I have never fallen for sweetners or low fat rubbish prefering to rather not have sugar in my tea or use to much of any one product that is fattening . with a healthy natural diet you should stay fit with out any need for all this cheaper chemical based stuff. and up to today Im fit and healthy …except for a few accidents I have had .
I wonder if all these people who buy low fat then go on to eat ready meals which are full of fat or drink alcohol full of bad calories …?

Its not about the healthy option for me, I love the convenience of the spread and it tastes good !

Oddly I used low fat spreads for years never lost an ounce in weight but changed to butter but obviously eating less of it and having taken sugar out of my diet have been losing weight really well.

So it is butter all the way for me.

Butter only for me always has been :-).

The truth has started to emerge that some spreads/margarines contain the kind of trans fats which are very harmful to our health.

Been looking at my tub of Flora - 'cos I didn’t think it was a ‘low fat’ spread. It doesn’t indicate that - its a blend of vegetable oils and buttermilk, Omega 3 & 6 - sounds OK. I did say its my preference, not trying to sway anyone from butter…:slight_smile:

I have actually tried most of these butter substitutes, mainly for the spread straight from the fridge angle, and have to say the Lurpak range are the best. And yes tried the Flora buttery one, and quite liked it, until I tried this one. I actually use the ‘sliced butter’ trick on my hot toast and it works wonderfully well. Oh and just a little nugget of information, I believe that ‘margarine’ as such has not been available since the war.

We only have butter now.
As preposterous as it seems, we used Benecol for years and then hubby was diagnosed with high cholesterol - we now use Anchor butter :roll: but rarely eat red meat, duck, sausages, liver or processed meat.

:shock::shock::shock: Oh Jan darlin’ - no way could I take them out of my diet - I’d starve!!!

We have Lurpak here but it’s one of the most expensive so I usually buy Western Star spreadable butter or Bertoli olive oil spread for OH, hardly use it myself 'cept for cooking as I tend to like cream cheese with ev’rything :slight_smile:

We had friends who came to stay once annd she brought a box of food stuff with her instead of relying on us to feed her and hubby…
One of the things she had was anchor low fat spreadable butter … When they went they left it in our fridge where it stayed for over a year. it was then taken down to the garden shed to use on the legs of a chicken (long story advice from vet !!!) It was then forgotten about for a few years until I cleared the shed last year to come here … I opened the lid thinking it would be rancid… But it looked just the same as new brought … goes to show no real food stuff in it …yuk