Broken rib after bad fall

@OldGreyFox: Love the outdoors! In case you’re nor familiar with my chosen sport, here’s a compilation, age 60-62.

4 Likes

As a fellow rider of many tears up until about 18 months ago when I contracted a rare illness which was the final straw that broke this old camel’s back I was frequently out riding & so can fully appreciate what you’re saying as fact.

One of my greatest fears for a long time had been the unseen or unexpected ‘obstacles’ coming from behind the bike.

As both a driver & a rider I’ve shared with so many others our fears for the ever increasing impatience & bloody mindedness of many drivers these days - who consider they have as does one one other group - an absolute right to ALL & EVERY bit of the roadway on which they travel and belligerently and aggressively come up from behind as close as they possibly can, irrespective of how much lane space exists at that point.

And some of them have of course pushed that too far with disastrous outcomes for the rider or in some cases groups of riders.

If only we could turn back the clock sometimes. Eh ?

3 Likes

Hi OGF, can I ask what that actually is in amongst the growth ??

FAR OUT !!! All credit to both you AND to the photographer You sure kept the latter busy too.

2 Likes

Oh my word is that a sport :thinking: it looks so dangerous.
Glad to hear you’re on the mend UniGreezer

3 Likes

I’ve just watched one of your videos over morning coffee. I’ll never think of unicycles in the same way again :+1:

You mentioned the circus type of association, that was my perception up until now.

I had to wince slightly as you hopped over your volunteer in the back yard :wink:

1 Like

Good Morning OldBloke…
The concrete pillar buried in the undergrowth is a ‘trig point’ there are over 13,000 of them scattered around Great Britain, and mainly in high places. They were used back in the fifties and sixties to accurately map the country using trigonometry. They were discontinued in the late eighties in favour of satellite mapping, but most of them still remain. They are marked on all ordnance survey maps and it has become a sport to go out and find them.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that OGF. Decades ago when over there a chap I knew told me about something different? but similar? It is so long ago now, but from memory what he described dated back at least hundred of years.

Some fascinating history out there eh?

2 Likes

I’ve watched your videos before and you are AMAZING! I’ve been very active my entire life and never met anyone who does what you do. That takes incredible skill. endurance and courage to pull that off. I’m so sorry for your accident. Filming along with unfavourable conditions got the best of you but I won’t ever suggest two wheels. You do what you do better than anyone. Keep it up but stay safe. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Take it easy and careful - within reason. Last year after turning a mere 59 years old I had a proper face plant fall. The dog bowled me over when I was already off balance. Outcome seemed to simply a fractured wrist, a split lip, a broken tooth, a broken nose, as 8 stitch cut on my eyebrow and a 4 stitch cut on my eyelid. Seemed to be that.
A week later I had no vision in my eye. Detached retina. Which was, I think its fair to say, a problem.
So take it careful.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Strath, I hope you are feeling better and recovering. I bent down to stroke a dog while on holiday in Guernsey one morning and that’s the last thing I remember after face planting the tarmac path. I came too with people starring down at me and a searing pain in my cheek and nose. It looked like I had been mugged…Fortunately no lasting injuries.
:dog2:

1 Like

Ouch. My face was similar - looked like I’d taken on Mike Tyson and come a distant second. But it was remarkable how quickly that all healed. I’d eight stitches in my eyebrow (I was wearing glasses hence the deep cut) - they hospital gave me vaseline to dollop thickly on the cut each day and it seemed to really help the healing.

3 Likes

Oh My Goddess! Ouch!

Get well soon dear, that’s sounds bad. Take a load off, recuperate and you’ll be good as rain, sooner…

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your eye Strath, will it recover?
I don’t normally look as flustered as this…
After the fall…

2 Likes

I’m currently on 3 eye drops 3 times a day to try to reduce the inflammation on my retina were it was detached. The procedure to re-attach the retina (do not ask about this) mostly worked but left a rough, inflammed section where the retina is not 100% perfect. So my sight isn’t 100% perfect in that eye.
I think I can beat your beaten up look with my own:

2 Likes

Blimey Strath! You must have gone down really hard…
I hope that proper vision returns to your eye. All the best…
:+1:

2 Likes

Bit of a face plant onto stones. Apologies to anyone accidentally seeing that photo over their breakfast. I’m sure there’s a life lesson there somewhere - stay upright as much as possible.
Ta for the best wishes, hopefully the steroid eye drops will help.

4 Likes

OUCH! That looks sore. Your poor fella. I hope you heal quickly !

1 Like

Ok! My mistake. I see that this was last year.
I see you don’t have 100% vision but I suppose things could have been worse, especially since you fell with glasses on. It’s great that they could attach the retina back. That must have been quite the scare.

1 Like

Yes, it was almost exactly a year ago. The cuts and breaks (wrist and nose) all healed really quickly. Which was lucky. I’d only just had the stitches out on the cut on my eyebrow when I went into surgery for my eye. And they need to press very, very firmly all around the eye as part of the procedure. Its fair to say I’d not rush in to repeat the surgery experience.

3 Likes