Broken rib after bad fall

Hey everyone, hope you’re all doing great! Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen at some point. About 5 weeks ago I was riding my big 36 inch wheel unicycle on a local Trail, but because of recent rains it was almost 100% overgrown in some sections. To make matters worse I was also trying to get POV footage holding the camera out in front of me on a tripod while I was riding, and I didn’t see a thick root sticking out which snagged my pedal and slammed me to the ground, with almost all Impact being taken by my left side instantly breaking a rib and as it turned out, bruised my spleen and pancreas. Put me out of commission for a while but I’ve been back riding now for a couple of weeks, but taking things easy and not doing anything too crazy.

6 Likes

As you say it was bound to happen but good to see you back on the uni again.

I doubt that :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Unigeezer, sounds like it’s time you saved up some money & bought yourself a 2nd wheel for that thing. eh ? :laughing:

Strangely enough I’ve been around to see a good neighbour this morning after an incident yesterday.

He was sitting opposite me talking when suddenly I noticed his facial expression change,
Looked sorta contemplative but within that moment it changed again & I realised that the “lights were on but nobody was home”. :open_mouth:

He abruptly crumpled and basically flipped backwards over what he was sitting on and then there was a loud sound as his head hit the path with a resounding THUD !

I’ve known him for some years and aware of his medical condition - nonetheless it was a shock.

Bottom line is he is OK & after I left checking in on him this morning he went out walking to a place quite some distance away.

3 Likes

Wow, not spoken to you before, but I’m impressed!

I’m sorry you hurt yourself but all the best for a speedy recovery and what an amazing hobby :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that UniGeezer, good to see you back riding again. The undergrowth has caused me a few problems of late. I seek out remote trig points and at this time of year most of them have disappeared under a blanket of nettles, bracken and brambles…On my last search I was stung, pricked and nettled…But I wasn’t travelling at speed like you, so only superficial injuries…
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Bob, yeah, I’ve also been “nettled” while setting up a camera shot in Sedona, AZ, and had to drive back to Redondo beach with 99% of them still intact!

1 Like

Glad to hear your friend is OK. As for 2 wheels, I figure that would be twice as hard! :wink: Seriously though, unicycling is actually much safer than barreling down a mountain trail on a bike at 20mph, having an accident and flying over the handlebars! I’m less than half that speed on average and there’s nothing really to get tangled in like you can a bike. This accident was a fluke and in the 17 years I’ve been riding it’s the only time anything like that has happened and it was really my own oversight and not paying attention.

2 Likes

We just love the outdoors and wild places UniGeezer, this was my last discovery…

2 Likes

@OldGreyFox: Love the outdoors! In case you’re nor familiar with my chosen sport, here’s a compilation, age 60-62.

4 Likes

As a fellow rider of many tears up until about 18 months ago when I contracted a rare illness which was the final straw that broke this old camel’s back I was frequently out riding & so can fully appreciate what you’re saying as fact.

One of my greatest fears for a long time had been the unseen or unexpected ‘obstacles’ coming from behind the bike.

As both a driver & a rider I’ve shared with so many others our fears for the ever increasing impatience & bloody mindedness of many drivers these days - who consider they have as does one one other group - an absolute right to ALL & EVERY bit of the roadway on which they travel and belligerently and aggressively come up from behind as close as they possibly can, irrespective of how much lane space exists at that point.

And some of them have of course pushed that too far with disastrous outcomes for the rider or in some cases groups of riders.

If only we could turn back the clock sometimes. Eh ?

3 Likes

Hi OGF, can I ask what that actually is in amongst the growth ??

FAR OUT !!! All credit to both you AND to the photographer You sure kept the latter busy too.

2 Likes

Oh my word is that a sport :thinking: it looks so dangerous.
Glad to hear you’re on the mend UniGreezer

3 Likes

I’ve just watched one of your videos over morning coffee. I’ll never think of unicycles in the same way again :+1:

You mentioned the circus type of association, that was my perception up until now.

I had to wince slightly as you hopped over your volunteer in the back yard :wink:

1 Like

Good Morning OldBloke…
The concrete pillar buried in the undergrowth is a ‘trig point’ there are over 13,000 of them scattered around Great Britain, and mainly in high places. They were used back in the fifties and sixties to accurately map the country using trigonometry. They were discontinued in the late eighties in favour of satellite mapping, but most of them still remain. They are marked on all ordnance survey maps and it has become a sport to go out and find them.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that OGF. Decades ago when over there a chap I knew told me about something different? but similar? It is so long ago now, but from memory what he described dated back at least hundred of years.

Some fascinating history out there eh?

2 Likes

I’ve watched your videos before and you are AMAZING! I’ve been very active my entire life and never met anyone who does what you do. That takes incredible skill. endurance and courage to pull that off. I’m so sorry for your accident. Filming along with unfavourable conditions got the best of you but I won’t ever suggest two wheels. You do what you do better than anyone. Keep it up but stay safe. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Take it easy and careful - within reason. Last year after turning a mere 59 years old I had a proper face plant fall. The dog bowled me over when I was already off balance. Outcome seemed to simply a fractured wrist, a split lip, a broken tooth, a broken nose, as 8 stitch cut on my eyebrow and a 4 stitch cut on my eyelid. Seemed to be that.
A week later I had no vision in my eye. Detached retina. Which was, I think its fair to say, a problem.
So take it careful.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Strath, I hope you are feeling better and recovering. I bent down to stroke a dog while on holiday in Guernsey one morning and that’s the last thing I remember after face planting the tarmac path. I came too with people starring down at me and a searing pain in my cheek and nose. It looked like I had been mugged…Fortunately no lasting injuries.
:dog2:

1 Like

Ouch. My face was similar - looked like I’d taken on Mike Tyson and come a distant second. But it was remarkable how quickly that all healed. I’d eight stitches in my eyebrow (I was wearing glasses hence the deep cut) - they hospital gave me vaseline to dollop thickly on the cut each day and it seemed to really help the healing.

3 Likes