Britain in crisis?

Greasing the palm never fails. :smiley:

It won’t help you buy a new house when your home blows up though! :astonished: Plus, who pays for it
the taxpayer.

No, in this cashless society, you don’t even have to print a bit more either :laughing: you just need a digital “IOU” :grin:

1 Like

Ha! I wonder what that looks like on your Social Score :018:

No one said that there are no strikes in Europe. No one said the strikes in the UK are due to Brexit. I’m struggling to see the point of highlighting a strike in another country as any sort of justification for a claim there is no crisis in the UK. There is a crisis in the UK, and problems elsewhere do not change that. And the level of strikes in the UK are much higher than elsewhere. And the cost of living crisis is more acute in the UK than elsewhere.

It’s been in crisis since Queen Victoria went into mourning for years and let the pollies run the place and they’ve been ruining it ever since.

If I had nothing to do all day I’d scroll back through some of you previous posts to find the point where you said that Brexit was the cause of many of Britain’s ills, you have also stated somewhere, that the crisis in the UK is worse than other countries in Europe

Living in France would suggest that all of your information comes from the media (which seem to delight in publishing doom and gloom, especially about the UK) I can assure you, that where I live, everyone walks about with the latest thousand quid smartphone clamped to their ear, drive the latest electric vehicle, and fill the supermarkets filling trolleys like the world will end tomorrow
It doesn’t look much to me like a crisis
 :009:

I haven’t said that anybody’s said it’s got anything to do with Brexit. I haven’t said there’s no crisis in the UK. I do object to people sneering at the UK though. If people prefer living in another country, that’s fair enough, but don’t keep slagging the UK off. I remember during the pandemic (not on this site though coz I wasn’t on here so don’t know what was happening) people from other countries and sadly Brits themselves taking glee that the UK had the highest death rate. This in the end proved to be not the case.

When a country is going through a bad time I don’t take any glee in it whatsoever, I feel for them.

Well your home can just as easily blow up using regular gas heating. For any source of energy, it’s a matter of putting strong safeguards in place & doing regular checks.

1 Like

OldGreyox I’m glad that somebody else is seeing the same thing that I do. I go into town everyday and it’s heaving. I think to myself hasn’t anybody told them that there’s a financial crisis going on. It’s not only the shops, it’s the eateries too. We had a small Gregg’s here they just about a month ago opened into bigger premises with plenty of sit down spaces it’s right next door to costa and that other coffee place can’t think of the name at the moment. All three of them are heaving. We’ve just this week had two new takeaways open up. Whenever I go past the local chippy just down the road to me, the queue is miles long. These are the sorts of things you’d expect to go first as people would be cutting down, but they’re not.

1 Like

I guess if you can’t see it then it’s not happening?

1 Like

Annie from what I can gather the hydrogen they’re using for heating isn’t the same thing as what people think of as hydrogen. Don’t understand it properly though. They’re also going to use it instead of petrol/diesel. And planes are transferring over to it.

1 Like

People are finding it cheaper to buy a take away than cook at home? Where I am supermarket shelves are regularly empty, increasing items are on special offer at the end of the day because people are not buying anything but the essentials. There isn’t that conspicuous consumption because those who have enough don’t want to rub it in. It’s not a particularly deprived area, it’s mixed. We don’t have a Greggs, we have a Gail’s. Cafes do well because people can go in there and have a nice warm place for the price of a cup of tea.

I don’t understand it fully myself, but our heating engineer was explaining that it’s not like the stuff that blew up the airships in the olden days. But it has to be combustible to provide energy.

Annie can assure you that our supermarkets are thriving too. And as I said, the takeaways are as well so it’s not a matter of people just going into cafes to keep warm.

What surprises me is that our M&S is probably the busiest and it’s the most expensive.

I’ve already confirmed to you that in this thread my only two references to Brexit have been incidental rather than me claiming the crisis that the UK is facing is down to Brexit. It is down to one specific thing - see bottom of my post.

I’m not sure what you call it, if not a crisis. Yes of course there are people who can afford new gadgets or new cars (or can afford to accept the debt for these things). But for many, many more the cost of living rises are proving to be devastating. Most agree: And it is this cut in wages in real terms that is driving the strikes.

She’s right; there is. But she is wrong to think that I am gleeful about this. Or that in pointing out that few if any other countries face same degree and combination of problems that I am doing down the UK. I am simply pointing out that it is very bad and that the severity of the problems need to be acknowledged, understood and addressed. Not wished away,

Last point, I believe that the Tory government over the last 12 years has created this crisis. Their economic policies and their austerity actions have directly created this crisis - oh, and that one other thing they gave us that begins with B did not help either.

And to add to this, just been into town, and the old Gregg’s is now a Papa John’s so forgot about that and the coffee house I couldn’t remember the name of is Cafe Nero and had to chuckle to myself because far from going there to keep warm, there were loads of people sitting at the tables outside and likewise when I went round the corner to the centre of town where there are loads of independent cafes, restuarants etc all with tables outside there were people sitting at them. We’re a hardy lot here in Exmouth lol

It’s hardly arctic weather today. Plus it’s Christmas so of course people will make an effort. Let’s see how things are in the New year.

Oh gawd if that’s what you believe, then you’re welcome to it. It might be what you’re wishing though. When the Tories took over what was the note that was left to them?

I get confused with you, one minute you’re saying how great it is in France where you now live and then the next you’re always saying, we, or such thing as if you’re still living over here.

Annie they’re always sitting outside, unless it’s pouring down, I didn’t think anything of it, coz I’m used to it. And yup I’m sure it will quieten down after Christmas as it always does do and has done as far back as I can remember.