Britain in crisis?

Perhaps you wouldn’t need the operation if you had been eating enough fruit instead of chip butties. Roles to support our infrastructure are just as important as those considered socially superior. In order to function the surgeon needs an army of nursing staff, porters, cleaners, caterers, technicians, electricians, plumbers, delivery drivers, maintenance workers, launderers, logistics etc etc. They might also need a healthy diet including your five a day.

2 Likes

What planet are you on? It’s not the striking that got these industries closed it’s the avarice of the government in only taking the profits and not reinvesting in the business that caused the closures.
The workforce are worth investing in and some say “ well they’ll get paid and still be idle “ well if that’s the case sack the idle sods if it’s a good wage they’ll be plenty of people eager to take their place .
Look at care homes , crap wages , crap hours and forever changing staff because nobody wants to work for peanuts .

3 Likes

I’d say there are some people who eat lots of fruit and have never seen a doctor in their life that would say that’s a bit of a presumption

Nationalised industries failed because of the jobsworth culture. Care home problems are down to Brexit and a reliance on the private sector model.

You forgot to add, ‘in my opinion’.

1 Like

Is that your opinion?

Rubbish Annie. Mrs Fox spent the best years of her life working in nursing homes and care homes long before brexit, and the wages were pathetic, but almost all of the staff she worked alongside loved their job and worked long unsociable hours because they cared.
Then Brussels and the EU came along with their rules and regulations and made caring for the patients secondary. Many left. Then along came compulsory vaccinations, and many more left.
The forty years that Mrs Fox worked in care you could count imported workers on one hand…Now the staff at most of the care homes round here (that haven’t been forced to close) employ practically all imported workforce.

Who benefitted from all this exploitation, some faceless Rigsby character with a 5 litre Audi MPV?

There are some unscrupulous owners Spitty, Mrs Fox has experienced some of those, but there are some genuine owners who care. But even these have 5litre Audis…

I’m not sure which EU rules you mean OGF.

Most of the local authority carers looking after our mum are Somali. Many hardly speak English and came as refugees rather than via the EU. Freedom of movement meant that many carers could come to the UK from EU nations and work here in care without all the bureaucracy nonsense they have now. The care sector has greatly suffered. We are really struggling to find carers who can look after her properly and don’t get upset when they see a dog.

My point was about the private sector model. Almost anyone can set up a care home or care agency for domiciliary care. They spring up all over the place. Many run up huge debts and operate at a loss. Of course they won’t pay the carers a decent wage. God only knows what is going on behind the scenes. The CQC was set up by the Health and social care act and that is UK legislation and nothing to do with the EU. They regulate the sector (although IMO not very well from what I have seen)

1 Like

Be afraid, be very afraid.

how do you qualify for a 5 litre Audi MPV

Firstly, you have to want to qualify for one.

i want, i want, oooops did i fail

Miserably

Commoners don’t do Status Symbols

i better give the 5 litre Audi MPV back then

best, if yer don’t want typecasting.

he OBR was wrong in its most recent deficit forecast – out by a mere £30 billion (so far) for the “deficit black hole”. This chart is based on their November 2022 Economic and Fiscal Outlook (EFO). This morning in a sheepish release they admit the deficit is a mere “£22.0 billion below our forecast profile in the headline figures and £30.6 billion below profile on a like-for-like basis”.*If you are making forecast errors of that magnitude on a three-month time horizon you are simply not credible.

Good news on the size of the deficit black hole came as:

Composite PMI was published this morning and hit 53.0 (above 50 indicates the economy is growing) against the consensus forecast of 49 (contraction). *Beating the Euro Area (52.3), France (51.6) and Germany (51.1)…

• On top of that the Public Sector Net Borrowing figures for January 2023 were out this morning and they show the books in a surplus of £5.4 billion against market expectations of a deficit of £6.95 billion.
  • Last Friday UK Retail Sales for January 2023 came in at up 0.5% month-on-month against expectations of down 0.3%.
  • On Wednesday inflation came in at 10.1%, a smidgen lower than the market consensus forecast of 10.3%.
  • On Tuesday Average Earnings came in at 6.7% against a consensus of 6.5%.
  • Also on Tuesday the number of people in work rose by 74,000 against the market forecast of 40,000.
  • The UK Natural Gas trading price fell to the lowest since August 2021 – less than it was before the invasion of Ukraine.
  • The 2022 Full Year GDP growth rate was the highest in the G7 for the second year running.
  • To top all this good news off the FTSE 100 hitting 8,000 puts it at an all-time high.

his all seems to run counter to the narrative of the BBC and the Labour Party that the economy is in a never-ending downward spiral and is a basket case compared to Britain’s peers. *Get a grip people!

1 Like