Britain in crisis?

No, I shared an article that stated that the problems the UK has with job shortages is down to government policy on all forms of immigration and the way they stop refugees from working.

I did not refer to Brexit once in my post. The reason you mention Brexit is that deep down you and everyone knows that Brexit is adding to these problems.

2 Likes

Could we have some numbers for these shortages in France please? Do they add up to the 1.19m of shortages the UK is suffering from?
Can we also just accept that even if there are problems in other countries that the UK has severe problems? Please stop following tory party guidance of highlighting problems in other countries and try to focus on the topic of this thread!

2 Likes

The trouble with you, and every one else who suggests that all our woes are due to brexit, don’t actually realise that we have not actually left the EU. The common people are being taught a lesson for daring to vote against the establishment, but for the rich and those who could afford to leave the blighty, chasing financial reward, its business as usual. It always has been…

So what’s causing the problem in other countries too then?

As you live in France surely you will know the figures and might share them with us. A quick google gave me this article. To tell you the truth I’m not obsessed with France as you seem to be with the UK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/23/business/france-jobs.html#:~:text=The%20shortage%20is%20tightest%20in,are%20vacant%20in%20France%20alone.

The shortage is tightest in construction, transportation, nursing and agriculture, where nearly 400,000 jobs are vacant in France alone. The hospitality industry is particularly hard-hit, with an estimated quarter-million vacancies, mostly in manual posts including cleaning and wait staff. That has created a further squeeze on restaurants and hotels as tourism has come roaring back in Europe after the pandemic.

As a UK citizen I am most interested in the state of the UK. But thanks for sharing the figures of vacancies in France. It is interesting that this is viewed a serious problem here in France. And that is while the numbers are one third of the worker shortages in the UK. I wonder what might have caused x3 difference in the UK?

1 Like

After your first sentence I think you make a valid point, albeit one based on the wrong insight. I’ll ignore your first sentence as it is wrong in assumption & fact for both the claims made in it. But its not important. What you state next is.
The common people are not being taught a lesson (who by for example?) but they are suffering because of Brexit - and this was inevitable. The rich are happy with Brexit and want even further remove from the EU as they see this as a route to gaining more riches. I do not think that there is evidence that the rich have left the UK; in fact they want to stay and make more gains for themselves. And with the coming de-regulation they will succeed, and again at cost to the common people.
So I agree that the outcome of Brexit will favour the rich (typically London based) and make the rest of us (typically in the north) worse off. And guess what, I could have told you that back in 2016.

I would say doctors are more important than fruit pickers.

You are quite right to identify this issue in France (but again, wrong thread). While we are on this topic though you might be interested in the cause of this issue. It dates back over 20 years when for some reason there was a decision to significantly cut the number of students going through medical school and onto qualifying. This decision has now created shortages, which as you highlight, are about to get worse.
But, as this is a 20+ year issue a long time in the making it does not relate to the UK worker shortages at all, in any way.

Sounds like the same problem as in the UK. Instead of training own it was cheaper to get from abroad. Goes for a lot of professions and now that we’ve no longer got freedom of movement companies are having to train up people from the population and pay a decent wage in the same way it used to be when I was starting out, so it’s good for the youngsters. There’s loads of apprenticeships around now.

And thus you also identify the solution for issues around doctor shortages in France: simply pick up the surplus EU doctors who have left the UK after Brexit. They simply freely move from, say, Spain into France and work there. Not quite the same for the UK anymore.

Doctors from all over the world would be more inclined to come to the UK than France because of the language.

you mean the bad language

both are important.

There is no place in the world better than Blighty, to be born a “Commoner” :laughing: :rofl:IMO

I’m not so sure but this is an interesting claim. So I’ve created a new thread to explore this idea

You man whilst laying in a hospital bed you think that somebody bringing you in a bunch of grapes is just as important as the person performing the operation.

Perhaps it is that the people who contribute the growth of economy and the supply of food can be (aside from specific circumstances) as important as the people who cure our ills.