Brexit has completely failed for UK, say clear majority of Britons – poll

That’s just my own opinion based on my knowledge of human psychology.

While outside the EU Belarus guards starve, beat and put a gun to the head of refugees they have driven to the border with Poland to stop them turning back, EU nations would take an alternative approach to ensure that they can hand over responsibility. For example in France, there was absolutely no reason for makeshift camps to be based in Calais for years. They could have cleared and banned these camps years ago and ensured the people who went there were rehoused and stopped from sitting on the beach every night waiting for opportunities.

There is nothing to stop them rubber stamping a document when they know that a citizen is not granted the services in the originating country that they can expect for free in the UK. You think this doesn’t happen? That all countries in the EU are above such a tactic?

2 Likes

I wasn’t basing that on immigration Lincs, I was basing it on the fact that we send most of our young people to university, especially those who are practical and not academically suited. Therefore we have a shortage of skilled trades. During our membership of the EU we have accepted skilled workers from other countries and neglected producing our own.
Furthermore, we are quite happy to accept food and produce grown in the EU and have neglected our own farming industry. The same can be said of our steel producing, engineering, fishing, mining, energy production…The list is endless. Of course Brussels encourages this to make sure we tow the line and become so reliant on the EU handouts that attempt to sweeten the pot, that we have become lazy and heavily dependant. That’s why it is so difficult to break the chains that shackle us to the EU. But those chains must be broken or else it will be impossible for us to ever stand on our two feet again.
We were conned, You were conned, but consider yourself to be too intelligent to be fooled in such a way, so you drink from the EU cup and neglect the country of your birth and allow it to fall into the hands of people who don’t care about the heritage, customs, history and people of the UK. To you, and them it’s all about money and power…

that’s nowt to do with the EU and everything to do with international economics. It was far mor efficient to import ready made goods at a fraction of the price from China than to make it ourselves. Ref food - It’s impossible economically for us to grow tea, coffee, pineapples, bananas, avocados lemons, oranges, rice, as examples here. Are you happy to give up your morning cuppa in favour of living in an isolated cave-type existence? That is not the way humanity has survived. It’s why neanderthals died out.

1 Like

You are talking trivialities Annie, I’m talking about the fishing industry, Mining, Energy, proper food production. I’m not saying it was all down to the EU, nothing is that simple. The economics and lost industries, and the shortage of indigenous workers is not down to one thing but many things, and the EU with their red tape and insistence on Net Zero is just another reason why the UK has turned out the way it has. If the solution was that simple somebody would have thought of it already, but that doesn’t mean we should all get despondent and chuck in the towel and beg the EU to take us back. The British are better than this and we can come out of this recession if we put our minds to it. The first step is to take back our independence and replace that bunch of nomarks that are currently running the country. The next step is to benefit from the resources on hand, coal for example, and start using the land for supplying our food and not building houses and warehouses. Get people back to work, paying taxes and producing stuff in house, whatever the cost. Try using some of the money we waste on other peoples wars and silly projects like HS2 and subsidise our farmers and fishing industry. And brick up that bloody channel tunnel… :face_with_monocle:

your proposal would result in the UK turning into venezuela

1 Like

Fair challenge. Got me on that one.

Or to paraphrase “I’ve just made this up”. Thanks for confirming.

If you google European residency rules and look for which are the easiest EU countries for residency, you will find this sort of thing - each country is not the same and some are more than happy to grant residency which can then lead to citizenship after 5 years, those citizens can then happily travel around the EU regardless of where they originate. The countries granting this easy residency are not the sort of countries migrants are ultimately headed :

How to Get EU Citizenship: The Ultimate Guide | Get Golden Visa.

1 Like

and cyprus is one of the easiest countries to obtain residency in.

Isn’t “easiest country to get residence in” a very relative thing? Surely they have rules for entry, you can’t just turn up. (unless you are a genuine refugee)

You can enter most countries on a 90 day visa for visitors, then sort out the residency requirements during that time.

1 Like

The sums mentioned are not small

Thailand for example only gives you a 14 day visa if you enter by land or 30 days if you enter by plane but no chance of residency. As I say it is a relative thing, “easy” is not how I would describe it

Try that to enter Australia and you will end up in immigration detention or on the next plane out.

If the EU is that good, why don’t the migrants stop there?

4 Likes

Most of them do.

4 Likes

May I suggest a third option? Use “Hithchens razor” to handle this kind of claims.
Personally this is my favourite way to handle empty claims, the quickest one.

1 Like

I like Hitchen’s Razor - it makes sense that I need provide no evidence to refute the claim about people getting EU citizenship in their tens of thousands in order to walk into the UK.
I also liked the “evidence” that this entry to the UK via EU was happening. The evidence was that its easier to gain citizenship in some EU countries than other. The implication is that in some countries (Portugal and Ireland being cited) it is actually easy to get one of their passports. Then you go check what that means - and it turns out that its not that easy. Minimum 5 years legal residency, language competency, criminal record checks all apply. So not any evidence at all.

2 Likes

On googling it says Thailand has a 60 day tourist visa, which can be extended to 90 days by their immigration once you are there. If you want to stay longer it depends on how much you want to pay. It appears that you can reside in most countries around they world if you have enough money to pay for the pleasure.

Thailand Tourist Visa | ThaiEmbassy.com.

2 Likes

“easiest” was just the description on the visa website.

My comments aren’t about refugees but about those who strategically plan their journey. But for refugees there is again disparity between approaches by different EU nations. There are weak points in parts of the EU, eg. Italy is well known to be one such weak point.

1 Like

I agree. However, as someone mentioned earlier, most refugees/asylum seekers (who are by definition no “immigrants” and therefore cannot be “illegal immigrants”) stay in EU countries.

Concerning the razor: I am really sick of people often claiming things and when I ask for examples/proof/anything, then there is … nothing. Sometimes I ask them to withdraw the statement or come back with examples/proof/evidence. Still they do not agree but keep the empty claim alive.
Not a very grown up way to dot it IMHO.

there’s evidence above if you would like to read it? There is disparity in approach by some EU nations. If someone has sufficient funds they can buy their way into residency in pretty much most countries.

My point was not about refugees/asylum seekers, but those who use the system to legally enter a third country in order to later come to the UK via the EU.