Brexit has completely failed for UK, say clear majority of Britons – poll

Don’t these efficient supply chains fly in the face of reducing CO2 ? Surley, growing things close to the customer is more effective at saving energy, less pollution and a fresher product with less preservatives. If demand was great enough, the price would come down rapidly. Not to mention the extra employment it would provide. Obviously, the EU want us to be reliant on EU supplies, because while we are reliant, they are still in control. Think Blackmail…
Our roads are full of German vehicles, wouldn’t it be great if our motor sales people dealt direct with the manufacturer instead of having to waste money going through the middle man that is the EU. Businesses are paying a high price for the wages, perks, expenses of MEP’s and premises for the extravagant white elephant that the EU really is. The Brits realised this and voted out. Come on you Europeans, keep up and realise you are being taken for fools…

2 Likes

The ECHR is nothing to do with the EU, so don’t know why you’re mentioning that and that’s a completely different subject.

2 Likes

I’m sure these people didn’t realise the tremendous influence they exert on the UK.

Yeah, far better just to do what the USA tells you, isn’t it?

I think a many of the population are happy enough with their lot, or at least as happy as they were when in the EU but they choose to stay quiet about it. I spent much time in earlier forum life moderating in computer forums. What happens is that people only come to forums when they have a problem or are unhappy with one point or another. Hardly get anyone anyone logging in just to say how well everything is going for them.

I think it’s the same in forum EU debates. Those who are reasonably happy with how things are just carry on with life and have no need to join the thread and say so. They more than likely are many. Probably is the reason for the imbalance of those speaking up for Brexit and the greater number speaking out against it.

2 Likes

Well said mart, I try not to comment because I am happy, and, nothing unexpected has happened, quite the opposite in fact, a lot of unhappy folks seem to continuously chew the cud.

2 Likes

Hi mart,
that is an assumption that I personally do not share. You assume that everybody is familiar with exchanging posts in internet forums when they like to. I do not assume that and I do not have a data base to assume anything of that kind. However you might be right.

Anyway, the article in the threads start claims that “clear” majority of Britons claims, that Brexit failed. That of course is not the same as being a “remainer”.

Just to make shure: I am just a curious guest from Germany trying to watch and find out, whether leaving the EU is a good idea.

Regards from Germany :wave:

I am sure that data might show if that was the main reason for Brexit.
If you think that there are “a lot” of foreign people trying to tell you what to do, do you think that (some) Britons really listen to those people? And who are those people (telling what to do/think)?

Is it maybe those people who tell you that they will “continue to deliver for the UK to make sure that … great opportunities and … vaccination and … growth by a google data center…”? One of them is called R. S.

[edited]: on a more personal note: I have to find out where to put commas when writing in English. Honestly I do not know where to put them. In German we put more commas than in English and it is embarrassing that I do not know where to put them. Sorry, I will figure that out, promised.

1 Like

Well, just an opinion. One that will make no difference to anything. Much the same as all others, believed to be factual or just assumed.

1 Like

When I think of supply chains I don’t think apples and pears, I think medicines. These require a combination of effort in terms of inputs and manufacture. We are constantly running into shortages and supply chain breakdowns. It’s all very well to say we can make our own but it’s not feasible some ingredients in a medication are only available in countries around the world. I remember there was a big fuss made during Covid about some radioactive isotopes which we had to source from abroad (for cancer treatments).

When it comes to fruit and veg I’m sure we can grow quite a bit of our own of staples and we already do. But those won’t include avocados, pineapples, bananas, lemons, oranges, melons, etc at least not without a premium cost. You can say that we can do without these luxuries…

How many tea plantations do we have in the UK? What about coffee trees? Perhaps there is a forest in Yorkshire that I’ve not yet heard of? :wink: Do you think Yorkshire residents would be happy to give up their brew in the interests of self-sufficiency?

How about our wine industry? Do you think it would satisfy the demand of the British consumer?

Do we brew any lagers here?

Would a gin and tonic be so nice without a slice of lemon?

The English were called limeys centuries ago, but did we ever grow our own limes?

Anyway as our farmed fields are full of profitable rapeseed plants, I’d love to know where the tea plantations, lemon and orange trees, but most importantly wheat and other grains will gain space and where you will find all these farmers happy to serve their nation to grow things which the supermarkets will pay them less for than it costs to produce, when they also have to grapple with extreme weather conditions, flooding, storms and a lack of motivated labour.

1 Like

I would agree that a proportion of the public voted leave because people from other countries were telling them what to think on that score.

This is argument from you? I recall so many posts of yours dismissing net zero, complaining about shutting blast furnaces (responsible for one fifth of air pollution in Wales), wanting ULEZ to end. Its strange that you now turn to pollution as a reason to argue against supply chains, is it not? Are you now suddenly pro-net zero?
And as for your crazy blackmail notion or EU as a middleman concept. Made up. Tell me, the VAG offices in Milton Keynes that orchestrate sales, marketing and dealer management - and who report directly to VAG HQ in Wolfsburg - where is the EU middleman in this?

The above is a quote from the original post. So Frank, you are saying that from 2000 voters (of which 20% still thought brexit was a good idea) out of a possible 67 million you can accurately assume that ‘The Majority’ of Britons are remainers?

I do think that Britons listen to these people if those people are associated to the EU and make those Britons lots of money. Like members of our government.

1 Like

Net Zero is the biggest con ever pulled on mankind to benefit the people who really control the world and everything in it.
Why do I get the feeling that I’m discussing a topic with someone who is either an employee of the EU or high up in it’s management. Only someone with status in the EU would know some of the things you post…

Annie, Annie… :009:
Whatever did we do before we joined the EU?
In reality, they have crippled the UK, and from the day we joined, the UK has been going steadily downhill and become a poor third world country. Not for everyone mind…And this is why we shall never leave, just like ‘Hotel California’ They send us the riff raff of the world to dilute our communities and take away our spirit and we are powerless to stop them. Obviously with help from inside, and we keep voting them in, and just can’t see it happening before our very eyes.

Britain now grows tea! An Atricle about tea production in England.

1 Like

Err, or someone with a bit of European business experience, a lot of travel across Europe and access to that thingy called Google.
In the meantime I note your non-answer to my question about why you cited CO2 emissions as a principle reason international supply chains are bad. And net zero is bad. So what is it you think?

1 Like

Before we joined we had very little consumer choice and prices were very high. We seem to be heading back in that direction. Back to the days when an orange will be a luxury Christmas present.

I was shopping for olive oil the other day and a litre has shot up to a minimum of £7! (that’s the cheapest extra virgin from Spain, Greek is about double). Every single packet of anything is shrinking inside but pretending to look the same outside. Stock lines are constantly disappearing.

I mentioned medicine because that’s of most concern and supply chains, medicinal products are far more sophisticated than they were back in the 70s when the GP would tell you to take an aspirin and hospital was where the elderly went to die rather than a place you would be made better & sent home.

I agree totally with criticism of EU red tape but as far as trade goes it was brilliant. The endless cheap labour supply was brilliant.

The majority of illegal migrants coming here are from outside the EU, the laws allowing them to come here are international and nothing to do with EU laws. We are now having to recruit the labour we need outside the EU from more culturally diverse areas. Yes of course that will cause stress to community cohesion. Some of the groups who are coming into the country (either legally or illegally) might be at war with each other. There are public health concerns and it seems the system is chaotic without taking account of the services which need to be put into place for incomers. Some of these people are living in very poor conditions. We didn’t have so many problems when we had free movement from the EU. Many people who came over would go back to their home country or maybe move to another EU country. That’s not happening with the new patterns of migration.

3 Likes

Annie all that you’ve listed all the EU are having the same problems so has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit and there is worse things to come with what’s going on in the Red Sea.

5 Likes

We will never know what may have been.