BORIS - the Dictator!

the UK Government, led by Boris Johnson, seeks to implement a new law that allows it to overrule and reverse the decisions of the Judiciary that it doesn’t like by way of an “annual review” of the courts’ decisions - the “Interpretation Bill”.

This cannot be right, and must not be permitted to happen.

The above was written by a qualified barrister. The full article is on here: [Petition · HALT the Government Power-Grab · Change.org] There is also an opportunity to sign a petition to prevent this change in the law taking place.

Hmmm… the Black Belt Barrister started this petition. If he hasn’t the confidence to start it off using his own name that can be verified with The Bar Standards Board, I have no intention of delving any further into those claims.
Search a barrister’s record (barstandardsboard.org.uk)

1 Like

If he is indeed a barrister, and began this petition, then I’m pretty sure he would be in trouble if he were to use his own name. He carries the judgement of the laws set by the government, so if he publicly denounces that same government, it would land him in deep doo-doo :open_mouth:

2 Likes

This is why I doubt if he/she is a genuine barrister and I for one will not be adding my name.

1 Like

It doesn’t make any difference to me whether the person putting forward the petition is a barrister or not - what I have read elsewhere about this “Interpretation Bill” sounds very wrong to me.
Any Govt could just overturn judicial decisions that is stopping them from doing whatever they want - there is a separation of powers for a reason.
I for one do not want the likes of Boris Johnson and his cronies being able to overturn a judicial ruling so they can continue doing whatever they want, regardless of their legal obligations.

I don’t think a petition will make much difference, though - they don’t seem to be listening to the electorate at the moment anyway!

3 Likes

So the alternative is what? Play dead? Do nothing? That’s the great British public being ‘middle of the road’, upstanding citizens is it? So someone has had the courage to start a petition…and you’re not going to sign because that person doesn’t want to loose their job? I’ve heard of some excuses - but these are pathetic!

The above are Great British Newspapers - mostly well regarded. If you can’t be bothered to take any action after reading those, you don’t deserve to be given the right to complain - or vote!

1 Like

I agree with you @Lindyloo I think its a shocking turn of events and one which must be stopped by any means…whether its signing petitions, choosing to place your vote elsewhere, or…anything that stops them becoming more and more corrupt. They aren’t even trying to hide the fact that they lie anymore! If, as @Boot says, they don’t listen to the electorate (which I have always believed anyway), then the electorate must to everything in their power to make them.

1 Like

The UK has always been a democracy but along comes Boris, who appears to regard 99.9% of the populace as complacent and worthless and capable of being manipulated to his advantage - and from what I’ve seen on here, he’s right!!! He’s certainly picked the best possible time - undercover of a pandemic - so I seriously suggest forum users wake up and smell the rot - write to your MP’s; write to the papers; sign petitions - or even join a protest march. Just get up from your easy lives and DO SOMETHING!

2 Likes

The public has lost all respect for Boris if it ever had any.

1 Like

Lindy Loo.
I agree with every word you have said Well done.

1 Like

I love the way Ant & Dec have taken up Boris mocking but I really believe it will take more than them - or posting links of them - to actually contribute to this very very serious issue!

1 Like

Thank you. I take it you will actually be doing something to express your opinion? Doing nothing is no longer an option…

There are a couple of us on the forum who have seen this coming for a long time Lindy.
Forced vaccinations, vaccination certificates required for travel etc, and it doesn’t stop there. There will be penalties for carbon footprints and energy wastage, what do you think smart meters are all about. We do not have the capability of supplying enough power for electric vehicles or home heating in the future, so power will be limited and even rationed in the future and there’s not a thing you can do about it.

The government don’t do anything without a reason and are as controlling as any country in the world, and just like China and North Korea they use the media to brainwash people to actually agree to this stuff, and the clever part is…We don’t even know it’s happening.
:pleading_face:

3 Likes

So we’re sitting and shrugging our shoulders and saying we can’t do anything?

We do now!

We have one of the greatest legal systems in the world. The mainstream of English Law began with the unification of local customs to form the common law and has been developed down to the present day by the judges as precedent has been built upon precedent!

So what can we do? We could: sign that petition (link sent earlier); write to our MP’s; write to the Lord Chief Justice - there’s three suggestions!! If you only did just ONE of those, it may make a difference!

1 Like

I think that a lot of this debate stems from the way the EU played the ECHR cards in order to attempt to stop Brexit.

I have no objection to the ECHR being an “advisor” on law, but why should they be, in any way, more in control than in any other Country in the Free World.

We must manage our own Country, including saying who makes the laws.

1 Like

I agree with your sentiments but unfortunately none of the above measures will have any effect.
The only power that we ordinary people possess is in our vote.

The Conservatives, under Bumbling Boris, are becoming akin to a dictatorship, exemplified by the presently much talked about Christmas party in 10 Downing Street, alongside all the restrictions which they are imposing on the rest of us.

So who should we vote for?
Labour? Unless you are a Marxist or a member of an ethnic minority, they will not represent you.
Limp Dems? They now seem to represent very few people: a few trendies in Brighton and other similar places.
Greenies? I suppose they have some laudable ideas about saving the planet, but if you examine their proposals in detail, they are anything but practical.
SNP? Well many Scots seem happy to vote for them in their hope for an independent Scotland, despite their destroying much of the infrastructure of Scotland and its economy.

Ah, yes! Reform UK. The party that most people are afraid to vote for because they think there is no hope of them actually getting anywhere. Of course, logically that is true: there is no hope of them actually getting anywhere if no-one dares to vote for them!
Some believe that they could not possibly vote for them because they have never had an MP. (Think about that one!) True, although they have had MEPs, including the very effective Nigel Farage who outshone anyone else present in the European Parliament.

Yes, I made my decision of whom to vote for some time ago now. I bet no-one can guess which of the above that might be!

All I would say to others is, “Vote wisely”.

3 Likes

Surely this bill is about the unelected Judiciary interpreting laws to literally sometime and their attempts to take more power for themselves. Governments and Parliament make the laws judges are suppose apply them fairly, which in many cases is what happens these days. A recent example is the case brought by Megan against the Daily Mail. A better example is the constant allowing of migrants appeals to stay in the UK,. Sometimes up to eight appeals all funded by the Taxpayer, or even rapists getting away with it because the Prosecution know that they will fail because a judges misinterpretation of the law and so they don’t bring the Prosecution
When law is made on the hoof by unelected bodies like the Judiciary its time to change things. We can kick the government out every 5 years if we don’t like what they are up to, not so the Judiciary

3 Likes

Yes. They should be made electable, just like MPs.

I wonder how we could bring in Laws to change the laws relating to those who make the Laws?

(Should be commas in there, but couldn’t think where to put them)

:100: :mage: :mage:

2 Likes

I think you must have misunderstood my post.
I didn’t say or mean any of the things you have suggested.

I did not suggest we should not sign the petition - after agreeing that the Interpretation Bill would be a bad thing, I made a comment in response to a previous poster who doubted the petitioner was a barrister - in my view the petition would be equally valid whatever the profession of the petitioner was, so I didn’t see why that was raised as an objection to it.

My comment about the petition not making much difference was made because the current Government have such a majority, they are riding roughshod over everyone and are just pushing through whatever legislation they want with very few obstacles.
I hope the petition does get lots of signatures to raise awareness amongst the public but I think the current Govt will not take any notice of it and continue pushing through whatever measures will give them more power and control.

(By the way, I had already signed the petition before posting)

1 Like