Boris Johnson to return to Good Morning Britain for first interview time since he was accused of hiding in a fridge

Pity they didn’t Fact Check Elsie for her lies.

She said that her energy bills have gone up from £17 to £85.

I’ve just received my bill for April and the Standing Charge was £14.75 for electricity and £7.78 for gas. Prior to that it was £7.58 electricity. £7.71 gas. (excluding VAT)

So that was £15.29 + 5% VAT = £16.05 before any charges for actual usage.

Sorry Elsie I just don’t believe you.

You probably won’t believe that my monthly energy bill has risen from £116 pm to £280 pm either … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Of course I believe that. As mine has skyrocketed too. I was paying £96 a month of which £!6.05 of it was Standing Charge. Now I’m paying £144 a month of which £23.65 of it is Standing Charge,

And I’m sure if you look at your bill the Standing Charge will be similar amounts, although the usage is completely different as I have to keep my bills as low as possible, because like Elsie I don’t have much left over after I’ve paid my bills which are all essential.

And as I own my own home as has been said before I have to fork out on any repairs, I have to pay house insurance, etc. which Elsie won’t have to pay.

1 Like

What’s this about Standing Charge - you started off by talking about “her energy bills”?

Yup your energy bills include the Standing Charge.

What you’ve said yours are will include the Standing Charge. And that’s why I don’t believe Elsie’s was only £17.

That’s not what you said -

Nothing there about Standing Charges … :017:

Nevertheless, FYI, my SC has increased from £12.37 pm to £14.62 pm (plus VAT).

Your SC has gone up from £16.05 to £23.65.

So, there’s considerable variation.

It’s actually pretty dishonest to edit quotes, I’ve seen you do that before.

When what she actually said was:

1 Like

It’s actually pretty dishonest to edit quotes, I’ve seen you do that before.

When what she actually said was:

Elsie’s what?

Energy bill or Standing Charge?

Hardly the point is it? A quote is supposed to be what was actually said not your interpretation of what was said by adding to it. Especially with no disclaimer. It’s just dishonest.

1 Like

That, of course, is merely your opinion.

1 Like

Crumbs thanks for that Bruce, now I’m aware of what he’s done, I’ll keep my eye out for that when he’s corresponding with others, wouldn’t have believed anybody could have stooped so low.

Alas no, it is not merely my opinion it is also the opinion of most reputable journalists.

For example:

I asked Michael Sims, Director of News and Operations for CBS Digital Media, about the changed quote. He told me it was a “transcription error.”

“[D]irect quotes should reflect exactly what was said,” he wrote in an email. “They should not be changed.”

As I say it is dishonest. You can stop squirming now.

That’s merely his opinion.

So what’s the breakdown of your standing charges, how much is your electricity standing charge and how much is your gas standing charge?

And even if Elsie’s standing charge was the same as yours before the rise £12.98 including VAT, if her bill only came to £17 that would mean she only spent £4 on her actual gas and electricity usage, do you really believe that.

The issue remains:

Omg they’re one and the same thing, your energy bill includes the standing charge.

If her supplier is now asking her for £85 instead of £17, that will include the standing charge.

I believe that you are finding the figures confusing and that you are trying to confuse me with your interpretation of the figures that you have latched on to.

No, they’re not.

As you’ve pointed out, even the SC is composed of two different elements:

I’ve flagged this thread due to Omah altering what I’ve said in post 106.

The real issue is the awful response by Dorris.