Boris Johnson to return to Good Morning Britain for first interview time since he was accused of hiding in a fridge

Good Morning Britain has confirmed Prime Minister Boris Johnson will appear on the ITV show on Tuesday, for the first time since he and other government ministers were accused of boycotting the series during the coronavirus pandemic.

While other ministers have appeared on the show since, Johnson has not had an interview on the show for almost five years - and since he was accused on air of hiding in a fridge to avoid a GMB reporter in 2019. (video)

Now, Johnson is sitting down for his first interview on the ITV daytime series since 2017, according to ITV, with it airing live on Tuesday morning from Downing Street.

Itā€™s not been revealed what will be discussed, only that host Susanna Reid will be talking to the Prime Minister.

Former GMB host Piers Morgan, who was on air during the awkward moment the PM appeared to hide from the cameras back in 2019, has since reacted to the news he will finally be on the show.

Piers commented on Twitter : ā€œHeā€™s out of the fridge! If youā€™re doing the rounds @BorisJohnson - you know where to find me.ā€

When Piers left the show last year, many government ministers and MPs began agreeing to return to the series - having clashed on air with the telly host in the past.

I have no doubt that, at that time of the morning, BJ, in an act of bravado, will be blustering, waffling and bluffing his way through the interview, to an extent hitherto not seen ā€¦ :026:

Might be interesting. Might be.

Iā€™m looking forward to it. I hope Susanna Reid is too.

Itā€™s not been revealed what will be discussed, only that host Susanna Reid will be talking to the Prime Minister.

Her co-star Kate Garraway confirmed the news on Mondayā€™s episode, revealing: ā€œSpeaking of Boris Johnson, we are actually gonna be hearing from him for once tomorrow. Susanna Reid is going to Downing Street and their interview will be live on Good Morning Britain tomorrow from 6am, so we will be able to hear exactly what he has to say.ā€

Will BJ be in his PJā€™s ā€¦ :question:

I rarely watch GMB but ā€œBoris in the fridgeā€ brought back memories of the days when that hideous bully boy, Piers Morgan was on that GMB show - I think most Tory party MPs shunned being interviewed on that show back then and the few who were brave, foolish or naive enough to offer up their jugular veins to Piers Morgan got totally slaughtered by his relentless savagery and talking over everyone.

It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

I set it to record, but thereā€™s hours of it!!
Anyone see it, who can tell us whereabouts it comes, or Iā€™ll just have to whizz through it all until I spot that beaming face!

BJ manspreading ā€¦ with extra long tie ā€¦ :wink:

Boris Johnson today insisted he is honest and just got it ā€˜wrongā€™ over Partygate as he faces a huge blow in local elections with a poll suggesting the Tories are set to lose nearly 550 seats.

The PM said he did his best to represent his beliefs ā€˜faithfully and accuratelyā€™ as he was interviewed by Susanna Reid on ITVā€™s Good Morning Britain.

A clearly uncomfortable Mr Johnson stressed that he ā€˜inadvertentlyā€™ misled Parliament over whether lockdown rules were breached in Downing Street, and had apologised since being fined by police. He said he had not received any other penalty notices yet but had ā€˜no ideaā€™ whether that would change.

He also wriggled as he was grilled on how he was going to help people with the cost-of-living crisis, batting away calls for a windfall tax on energy firms reaping the benefits of soaring oil and gas prices.

Mr Johnson conceded that inflation could hit 10 per cent in the coming months, and suggested there was ā€˜moreā€™ the government could do - but declined to say what that might be.

I hope he can answer the eternal question ā€œDoes the Light actually go outā€. :grinning:

2 Likes

I cannot stand Susanna Reid, so full of herself.

1 Like

I had to plough through hours of guff before the ā€œinterviewā€.
Interview???
No! It wasnā€™t an interview at all. it was a series of lectures from Madam S to Boris during which it was difficult for him to get a word in edgeways.
Whatever my opinion of Boris is, and at times itā€™s admiring and other times its pretty low, he showed courtesy and restraint and good manners throughout, whereas she interrupted him time and time again,
aggressively bulldozing through and over his replies, and refusing him the chance to finish what he had to say,
Her manners are appalling.

3 Likes

Whenever I see Johnson interviewed I am at a total loss to see why anyone would suggest he has an iota of charisma let alone the vast quantities the fanboys and girls suggest. This interview was no different. Susanna Reid treated him with the respect he deserves (i.e. none) and did her best to get around his perpetual obfuscations and tangents to try and get answers. I have never particularly liked her but thought she did quite well.
We now know anyone starving or freezing (or both) on benefits has to put up with it or risk inflation going even higher. His attitude is probably that old people are unlikely to vote Tory anyway so it doesnā€™t really matter.

2 Likes

She is an appalling person, on the odd occasion I have seen a bit of Good Morning Britain I noticed she loved the sound of her own voice.

1 Like

Your post is exactly how i saw the interview ,

Do you think when she looks back at it , she will see what a Parrot she was ā€¦
Everytime Boris tried to answer her , she repeated the question , he only had to open his mouth and off she went again .

He deserves a medal in my opinoin , for keeping control .

Gawd after reading this it made me want to watch it to make my own mind up. That was no interview that was just Susanna Reid spouting the nonsense she wanted to spout. She didnā€™t listen to a word he said. How he kept his composure heaven knows, no wonder heā€™s refused to go on there for so long. What a farce. She was an embarrassment.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so glad I wasnā€™t the only one who was appalled by her behaviour.
Learned at the knee of Piers Morgan I suppose!

1 Like

Even her facial expressions, reminded me of a stroppy know it all teenager.

1 Like

Well she certainly put POS Dorris on the spot, especially when ā€œElsieā€ was brought up. I had such great hopes of BoJo at first. My life, was I EVER wrong.

Do you honestly believe that Elsie was only paying Ā£12 for her gas and electricity and now itā€™s gone to over Ā£80. Think majority of people pay Ā£12 just on the standing charges. She canā€™t get the council tax rebate as she lives in a Band F house. My jaw dropped when I heard that. If Boris was allowed to speak he would have pointed in the direction where she could get help. i.e. if she really is in hardship, she can contact the council because the Government have given councils money to hand out to people in poverty. She can also apply to her utility provider. Poor Elsie wasnā€™t given this information because Susanne wouldnā€™t shut up,

I only heard a clip of this interview on Politics Live so cannot really comment but I do feel that Boris bragging about the free bus pass, which it seems the woman used during the day too keep warm, was a bit off.
As for getting money from the council it amount s to Ā£150 which is really nothing when you consider how high the price of fuel will be next winter which is when we really see people in trouble.

MrFraggle you need to watch the whole interview thatā€™s why I posted it above.

And Iā€™m not talking about the Ā£150 rebate, Iā€™m talking about the billions that the Government have also given to councils to distribute to people in poverty. They gave it to the councils rather than distributing it themselves as the councils better know the people where they live.