Boris Johnson to return to Good Morning Britain for first interview time since he was accused of hiding in a fridge

I would reluctantly vote Labour.

1 Like

For gawd sake, I am one of those people.

The difference between me and Elsie though is that I live in a Band C house that Iā€™ve paid for by mortgage. She lives in a Band F Council House. She wonā€™t have to pay for her rent as she can claim housing benefit. If her boiler breaks down, roof falls off her house or anything else, she just calls the council to repair it. If the same things happen to my house, I have to pay for it. She receives Ā£170 per week, what on earth does she do with all that money, she doesnā€™t even have to pay for her bus trips.

When I vote in local council elections, I never follow ā€œparty politicsā€ - I vote for the PERSON, not the Party.
When it comes to local elections, voters are more likely to know more about the candidates and have more idea of the calibre and competency of the individual councillors and how they perform within your own region.

Whatever Johnson, Starmer and other party leaders are saying make no difference to me at the local level - I wish the main party leaders would just butt out of local election campaigning - they are wasting taxpayers money in expenses to venture Oop North and they only bring more ill will into the proceedings - my message for party leaders is - just sod off back to your Westminster bubble and stop pretending you care about ā€œlevelling upā€ in the North in an effort to garner votes for our local council candidates.

Not really ā€œbillionsā€, is it ā€¦ :017:

The appalling (private sector) Track and Trace cost billions - 37 of them, mostly frittered away to Serco;

COVID PPE cost billions - 13 of them, many of them wasted on unuseable products supplied by friends, colleagues and supporters of the Tory party.

As of November 2021 the overall cost of the United Kingdomā€™s job retention scheme was 70 billions - a considerable part of which lined employers pockets.

The Government does give billions if you add up all the benefits, what it gives to charities, etc.

Iā€™m sorry, but Iā€™ve got grandkids and I donā€™t want them to have to pay for the pandemic and now this financial crisis.

This might help Elsie:

What does she do with Ā£170 a week? You MUST be joking.

And who else will be paying it then? The amount of billions the government wasted during the pandemic was astronomical it will take decades to recoup and the NI increase to pay to bring the ever increasing NHS waiting lists down how will that work then as the government seem not to know given the lack of detail?

1 Like

Charities? Care to expand on that?

No Iā€™m not, that sounds like a helluva lot of money to me, so tell me what does she have to pay out?

As from July people earning below Ā£12,500 wonā€™t have to pay any NI or tax.

It wonā€™t help ANYBODY as far as the general public are concerned. Cutting vat - now THAT would help.

That wonā€™t benefit many old folk.

Yup it would help high earners too. How do you think the Government gets the money to pay out money to people who are less well off?

Loads of them. Shelter being one of them, even though you wouldnā€™t believe it as they show no gratitude.

It wonā€™t help me either. But Iā€™ve got kids and grandkids so think of their future rather than mine.

And can assure you if I was Elise I wouldnā€™t be living in a Band F council house that could be used for housing a family.

Watching Channel 4 news debate and the Tory MP did not mention the ā€˜billionsā€™ seemingly given to councils to help the poor which was very odd as you would have thought she would have, she did mention the Ā£150 council tax payment and the reduction in fuel tax which will really help those trying to pay the bills (not). She did not mention how exactly the rise in NI will bring down the ever increasing NHS waiting lists or the massive mismanagement of finances by the government during the pandemic which added nearly Ā£100B to the national debt but as usual it will be the poor, the old and the vulnerable that will suffer the most.

Talking about Elsie , her band F house must have a minimum of 3 beds and quite large as these council places are , all repairs are done free of charge so if she is getting Ā£170 a week she also gets pension credit which gives access to other benefits.
So Elsie must be living free of charge if this is the income she has .

Maybe Elsie could move to a nice little bungalow and let a family live in her house the council will pay for that too .

Elsie is actually better off than many of us who own their own property as we have to pay all repairs and live on the same pension .

If it was George Eustace as heā€™s doing the rounds today and I heard him on LBC radio with Nick Ferrari he did mention the billion hardship fund given to councils on top of the Ā£150 council rebate.

And if Elsie ends up with dementia and has to go into a care home her care will be provided free. If I with my Band C property ends up in a care home Iā€™ll have to sell my house to pay for my care and also it will be at a higher cost than the care home charges the council because my fees would also have to help pay for Elsieā€™s.

3 Likes