Boris Johnson resigns as MP

20:17
Boris Johnson resigns as an MP with immediate effect after receiving the Partygate report.

Blimey … I blinked and I missed it … :107:

In a lengthy statement, Johnson say he is quitting his seat because he is “bewildered and appalled” at the Privileges Committee’s investigation into whether he misled MPs over Partygate.

He says he received a letter from the committee which is “making it clear, much to my amazement, that they are determined to use the proceedings against me to drive me out of Parliament”.

Boris Johnson’s resignation statement is long - over 1,000 words. In it, he appears to take a parting swipe at Rishi Sunak’s government.

Resignation statement in full as Boris Johnson steps down - BBC News - Here is his statement in full:

Reacting to the news of Boris Johnson’s resignation, Liberal Democrat deputy leader Daisy Cooper says simply: “Good riddance.”

3 Likes

Could be a cunning plan.After all his shenanigans Uxbridge at 7000 doesn’t look particuarly safe.

2 Likes

And Nadine’s was 25,000. :thinking:

1 Like

Donald Trump is the first former president ever to be criminally prosecuted by the government he once headed.

In a post on Truth Social on Thursday, Mr Trump said he had been summoned to appear on Tuesday afternoon at a federal court in Miami, Florida, where the charges against him will be read.

“I never thought it possible that such a thing could happen to a former president of the United States,” Mr Trump wrote.

Boris Johnson received a police fine for Covid lockdown breaches in the partygate scandal.

The fine makes Boris Johnson the first sitting British Prime Minister to have broken the law.

Presumably, the “warning” letter from the PPC was to inform him that, when Prime Minister, he had been found guilty of deliberately misleading parliament and was therefore at risk of being banned, by members, from the House.

“I am bewildered and appalled that I can be forced out, anti-democratically, by a committee chaired and managed, by Harriet Harman, with such egregious bias.”

Who do these people think they are? They are subject to laws, rules and procedures like all citizens and, eventually, no amount of bully-boy blustering is going to stop the application of the law.

Will we see the PPC report? Probably not … sadly.

2 Likes

I think Trump and Boris are very alike.Neither have any intellect but lots of low animal cunning.The ideal trait for politics.

9 Likes

Yup, I think that as well……did you notice this bit in his statement….

“It is very sad to be leaving parliament - at least for now”

Probably hoping to make a comeback in safe seat because he really doesn’t have any shame over what he’s done

An amoral, self-serving man

5 Likes

Absolutely, and after everything they’ve done they still have the nerve to play the victim

I think he did mislead Parliament and he did it deliberately, in his arrogance believing he’s Jolly Johnson who everyone loves, and above the law

I hope that’s what the enquiry says. He’s disgraced our country and the role of PM and he’s not fit to be in Parliament

And still claiming Brexit as the reason people are questioning him?

As if he ever believed in it in the first place, or thought it could be a success ?:rofl:

I think he just used Brexit as a populist ploy, despite knowing it couldn’t work, out of self-interest to further his career and that he’s just an opportunist with no real beliefs or principles

And that he used the Ukraine in the same way

1 Like

It’s been tried tested, done and dusted, lets draw a line and see what’s next!

Wish Boris luck as I wave him goodbye

Cheerio, there he goes on his way

Wish him luck as I wave him goodbye

With a cheer, not a tear, make it gay

I give a smile I can keep all the while

In my heart while he is away

I don’t want to meet him again and I

Wish him luck as I wave him goodbye …

Good riddance, Boris.

I’m sure you’ll land in your feet in some other lucrative sinecure.

3 Likes

Just had a thought :scream:

You don’t think Nadine Dorries stood down so Johnson can stand in her safer seat?

2 Likes

The detail of the report remains under wraps but his claim implies that the committee has told him it was likely to recommend he was suspended for 10 or more sitting days.

That would trigger a recall petition in his seat, meaning a possible by-election.

It is important to note that this was a draft report, setting out a likely sanction.

The process of the Privileges Committee is far from over. It was set up by a vote of the House of Commons, not the committee itself, so the report will still be published, as early as next week.

The sooner, the better … :047:

Well, it would not be beyond the realms of possibility - see how close her seat is to BJ’s new home:

3 Likes

Ruddy hell, I bet that’s it :rofl:

3 Likes

OTOH, John Howell, Conservative MP for Henley, will not stand as a party candidate in the next general election, which can take place no later than January 2025.

Mr Howell became the MP for Henley in 2008 when Mr Johnson vacated the seat to become London mayor that year.

Johnson could seek to run again in his former seat, which happens to be right next door to where he lives:

but, AFAIK, the current incumbent and the local Conservatives are Sunak supporters.

1 Like

Has to be a case of jump before you’re pushed
In less than 24 hours after receiving a letter from the privilege committee. I bet they spelt out his options to him .
The evidence against him must be colossal.

If they could just cancel some of Johnsons old cronies honours list it would tidy things up nicely.

1 Like

:+1: That’s very good, but I don’t wish the SOB luck, May karma catch up with him and his future be wretched :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

And I’m a horror film fan. And we all know that when you think you’ve finally defeated the evil being and are celebrating, it revives itself and pops up again for another go!

1 Like

Same here …may he discover beyond treatable deathwatch, beetle and his new pile

2 Likes

Will he be able to “Sign On” now, or will he have to wait because he resigned and wasn’t sacked?

Hi

He can’t sign on.

He vast amounts of money outside Parliament and keeps his £115,000 tax free a year from the taxpayer because he is a former PM.

1 Like

They’re all standing down, rats deserting the sinking ship, but not before boris has looked after his cronies

1 Like