Boasting parents / grandparents

Well you are trying to for a start, or what do you call this:

:wink:

I call it quoting your own advice as you say you donā€™t have to listen to boasting grandparents in the same way you donā€™t have to read this thread .

I would like nothing more because, letā€™s be honest, it is getting beyond silly.

1 Like

Lastworditus .

3 Likes

I just want to know why some Grandparents say ā€œWe love having the Grandkids but, its good to give them backā€. :grinning: :biking_man:

Probably they are exhausted by the energy of small children I always admire grandparents who have taken on the care of grandchildren for one reason or another .

Because Grandparents get to have all the fun without the tears or cleaning up afterwards?

If my kids had had kids my life would have been very different & probably not for the better either. As it is our line dies out with my Daughter.

Awe Tiffs my husbands daughters by his first marriage have no children and are unlikely to now he is sad that he has no grandchildren and his name dies with them .

1 Like

Same here but I ainā€™t sad, until the clocks go back. :smiley: :biking_man:

Iā€™m not sad, Muddy, as I said. I donā€™t think Iā€™d be as close to my kids if they had had kids of their own. Son never found anyone to marry, though he had girl friends & Daughter couldnā€™t have kids after an ovarian cyst played havoc with her reproductive parts. Her partner already had a daughter from his marriage, many years ago, so he didnā€™t want any more any way. He has a grandchild heā€™s never seen too.
I do have a few grandkids/greatgrandkids unofficially but that is another story. & I donā€™t know any of them personally.

I doubt if Iā€™ll have any grandchildren to brag about. One of my sonā€™s is gay (married) and the other doesnā€™t seem interested in finding someone and settling down, heā€™s 38 so heā€™s leaving it a bit late

I bet Iā€™d be the worst boaster if I had some, Iā€™ll have to get a dog :rofl:

Why do people need to boast? If you love the child and are happy with what they achieve, why does any other personā€™s opinion matter? :icon_confused:

2 Likes

It shouldnā€™t really, but I think a bit of boasting and bragging and hoping people are a tiny bit envious is human nature.

Itā€™s like being a kid again ā€œLook what Iā€™ve got!ā€

For some, itā€™s probably a bit of an ego boost, reassuring them they are doing OK and letting others know it too

Nobody should need to do it, of course, but there we go, weā€™re none of us perfect, itā€™s the life

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s like tears of joy, when you feel so proud for a loved one, you canā€™t help yourself, you want the world to know

2 Likes

Marciniak, those who see your tears of joy will know that a person who cares is proudā€¦ the rest of the world donā€™t matter! :smiley:

1 Like

Its not about the tears, its about not being able to control a strong emotional feeling of pride.

My niece was born with a multitude of disabilities, Long story shortā€¦ aged about 13, various sporting activities/events were organised for PHAB centres

She won a 15m race, medal and certificate was awarded , she showed everyone that medal, parents were proud/happy for her, members and close friends of the family would tell people about her achievementā€¦ You would have thought she had won a national title

Me I was young, to me it was a jokeā€¦ People asking me and family members to relay messages of well done,ā€¦Truth is most praise came out of sympathy.

Looking back the tears and pride from the family and friends had nothing to do with sympathy, they were genuinely so proud, and yes, boastful in a way.

2 Likes

sorry Twink, trying to do to many things here

I misinterpreted your post youā€™re rightā€¦the rest of the world donā€™t matter

Yes, genuine pride lifts the heart and it doesnā€™t matter about others, youā€™re right

I also think it depends a bit who you are boasting to. If you are boring a casual acquaintance, then youā€™re being a pain.

But friends and family who love you will genuinely want to hear about and share in your joy and happiness, as you would in theirs

Of course the family were proud, she did something that proved her ability to be better than expected & all that praise would have made her proud of her achievement.
When top athletes win Olympic medals they are proud to receive their medals, but coming home to the people who knew the effort they had to put in is their greatest joy. Your niece deserved the attention as much as any top athlete because she tried hard to win!