Bit of a fright this morning

What an awful frightening experience you must have had Julie.

Have to agree with the other comments, it does need reporting.

Its sad because I blame the owners for the way there dog acts.

Had a hideous day and night as I was getting ready to head to the hospital Betty lost the use of her back legs, had to rush her back to the vet, she was kept in over night just brought her home, still not right but she is able to walk unsteadily now, he says the bite damaged her spine and the resulting inflammation cut off the blood supply to her nerves hence the collapse. He operated and now we have to keep her quiet and just wait to see how she heals.

Police and dog warden are taking it seriously and while they work on a case against the owners they have suggested we work on a civil case to get our vet fees paid. TBH I think that is least they can do.

Social services are involved too because when the police attended they found the baby has flea bites (18 months old poor little boy) so they may be in trouble about welfare of him too.

Council housing have been informed apparently that is normal procedure by the dog warden so they have trouble coming from all sides by the look of it.

Just concentrating now on settling my two, not used to Betty our little energiser bunny looking so sad and quiet.

Elsie is traumatised too we have had problems before getting her up and down the stairs here and this has set her back completely.

Julie I hope both your dogs make a quick recovery,

Oh dear, things seem to be going from bad to worse. I do hope for your sake that both you and the two dogs can overcome this assault. For that is what it was. I hope the neighbours get taken to the cleaners for what they have allowed to happen. I am pleased the police and welfare are taking the matter up seriously. Good luck with your recovery all three of you. God bless.

Oh Julie :frowning: I don’t know what to say, I am so sorry…
Just sending you a big hug …x
I hope you will all be ok…

I second what Meg said. And I hope that the various agencies involved resolve the problem quickly. That dog clearly is not adequately trained by its owners.

I am so sorry to hear this Julie and I sincerely hope that little Betty makes a full recovery. I am glad that the authorities are taking the matter seriously but, as I mentioned previously, you should take out a civil action against the owners, if for nothing else then at least to recover the vet fees. If this family have children then the dog should be removed from them or next time it may be a child the dog turns on.

My best wishes to little Betty for a speedy recovery and I hope Elsie gets over the trauma too.

Push for action and your costs Julie, you might want to include the cost of therapy for Elsie too…

After my beagle Benny was attacked in February the bit healed quickly but what I handt bargained on was the effect it had on Remy who wasnt even attacked but further along the path at the time…
But since then he has refused to walk in the area or the park he distrusts all other dogs barking and growling if they come near and if I let him off the lead he just tries to head home…

The poor dog has become so traumatised by the whole thing Im really concerned about his quality of life. Dont let this happen to you and Elsie.

Very sad for all of you - but pleased the authorities are taking this matter seriously
Wishing you a favourable outcome and sincerely hope the dogs will feel better in time xx

Police came with a van to take the dog away but surprise surprise the couple say it was stolen over night and they don’t know where it is. So where ever they have it hidden there is an extremely dangerous dog out there somewhere.

Spoken to the dog warden after that and he says it won’t make any difference to how the council react and he can still take action. So they will most likely be told to remove it from the flats or move out themselves.

Elsie is a wreck and Betty just wants cuddling.

Julie … I’ve only just seen this thread. :hug:

I’m so glad you’ve got the police and the dog warden on your side. I know how frightening it can be to live next door to a dangerous dog … to be afraid to venture out of your own home. It’s not on. Do everything you have to do to sort out such selfish neighbours.

Hope your two furry friends get better soon … and your own leg bite.
XX

Well wherever it is at least it shouldn’t be bothering you again Julie . Poor Betty and Elsie :frowning: they may be very scared when venturing outside in future.

Makes me mad this is the same dog nearly killed our late elderly Molliepops, when that happened no one would do a thing even now it’s not that this dog nearly killed Betty and has injured Elsie that matters. The only reason they are acting is because it bit me. Something very wrong with our laws if a dog like this is allowed to maul other animals (has killed cats and hurt numerous dogs in the past) with nothing the authorities could do to stop it.

Truly disturbing regarding the laws on this - shameful

I hope they’ve done the decent thing and had it taken away to be destroyed of their own free will.

Julie, I hope your two pets heal soon. Sending lots of best wishes and hugs to all of you. Get well soon. Xxx

I doubt that they have had it destroyed, that type of people will do anything to evade the law. Bet it is still within the family. I do hope the authorities will go all the way and oust this couple from their home then they can thank their wretched training of their dog for their misfortune.

I do hope you and the two little ones will overcome this trauma, I truly feel for you. God bless.

And why can’t the dog warden see beyond the dog and look at the people who own it. I firmly believe that no dog will attack unless it has been trained / beaten to do so.

But putting that to one side it’s undoubtedly very upsetting for you.

Hope you’re a bit calmer now and if it’s any consolation ear wounds do bleed like crazy and it usually looks worse than it is.

It happened when Baruska’s fang caught Rianna’s ear, at the time it was about 2 foot of snow all around, it looked like there was blood everywhere :shock: but within 2 hours it had stopped and next day there was almost no wound mark.

They should be allowed to PTS the humans :lol:

Where we lived in UK we had a policeman move into the next road, his garden backed onto ours. Within a week of him moving in a huge wooden shed was installed right up against our fence. The day after a large German Shepherd was installed in the shed, this policeman was a dog handler, although as events occurred I don’t think he was capable of handling a Yorkshire Terrier. The Shepherd barked day and night, sometimes two of them as his mate would leave his Shepherd there too. Twice the police dog broke out of it’s shed and terrorised people in the close who had to ring the police station who would then have to come to the policeman’s house to get him out of bed, he ignored everything else. Despite the many complaints about this dog the police were no interested. One day the man walked the dog and as it went past our neighbour’s house it suddenly grabbed their little poodle who was sitting on the lawn (the Shepherd was on a lead at the time), it shook little Sparky so violently it left him paralysed. The police offered to pay the vet fees but Sparky couldn’t be saved. We then found out that this same police dog had killed another neighbour’s little dog on an occasion it had broken out of it’s shed. This neighbour was also a policeman, new dog bought for him and not a word said.

After some months and many many complaints the dog and the shed were removed, we then had to cope with harassment like you wouldn’t believe from this policeman and some of his police mates. Unbelievable. We then left UK but a few months after we left we heard that the shed and dog were back again and complaints were going in like crazy to the police.

Only last week whilst visiting our old neighbours, who now live in Spain, did we find out that this policeman had died and evidently life is back to peace and quiet in our old home.

So I know what you mean Julie and it really is disgraceful that a human being has to be injured, or even killed, before the authorities will act.

I’m surprised they have not removed the dog from the Owners!

Hope your two dogs are making a recovery.