Bird table question

Yes, it’s an indoor camera and I have it on the windowsill looking out. The birds just ignore it.

2 Likes

Oooh, that sounds fun…I didn’t know there was an app. I do look up some birds that I don’t know and listen to their birdsong, so I’ll investigate that app as well. :+1:

I was thinking about the legality of this, and might have to check if I am permitted to record outside. I’m sure it’ll be fine, but I don’t want the neighbours complaining :roll_eyes:

Sounds more like sparrow hawk or kestrel Maver-rik, they pluck all the feathers off their victims before taking it to a safe place to eat, or delivering it to their young. Cats are not known to pluck a bird, domestic cats see catching a bird as sport rather than food.

2 Likes

The only area covered by that camera is our own garden, so there are no problems. Just make sure that your camera doesn’t overlook a neighbour’s property.

2 Likes

Last thing I would like to see is my neighbour if I can see him it means he’s having a sticky beak over the fence !

2 Likes

Yes, I will be sharing a garden with my neighbour, so maybe it’s best not to for the sake of neighbourly relations. I’m sure a few photos won’t hurt though :smiley:

Of the birds, I mean…not the neighbour!

These cameras record videos rather than photos. However, if you have a word with your neighbour and explain that you just want to record birds visiting your bird table, and even show him the actual area covered, I’m sure that he would be quite happy.

On the other hand, if you can show him which areas are NOT covered, he’ll be able to perform his nude sunbathing in freedom. (Of course, you could always adjust the camera later!)

3 Likes

My neighbour is a she.

With a cat. :scream:

Oh dear! Women are worse. You don’t want to get on the wrong side of HER.

1 Like

Thanks for that… :roll_eyes: :joy:

To be fair though, I have to say if a new neighbour moved in beside me and wanted to suddenly video the garden, I think I would object as well :thinking:

Yeah, you are right…women are worse :joy:

Not necessarily, if you asked politely and gave a good reason. Isn’t it worth asking?
Or is she too scary?
I know there are some very scary women on here… naming no names of course.

2 Likes

Hah. You’d best watch your step them, young man. image

1 Like

Some feathers do come off when a cat catches a bird and sparrow hawks pick up the bird and fly off. I’ve seen one in our garden and it doesn’t have to be a sparrow, it did get a blue tit.

We sat and watched a sparrow hawk strip it’s victim off all it’s feathers on the green beside our house logan, I’ve also woken up to a pile of feathers on the lawn. I think if the hawk doesn’t feel threatened it will strip the bird in situ.

1 Like

Purrrrrrrrrrrfect!
I’ll get me brownie…
:movie_camera:

1 Like

Bath Time at Foxy’s place…

3 Likes

I always get a visitor this time of year, a fieldfare. He or she seems to be a ground feeder, and I have had one visiting my garden in December through January and sometimes into February for about 10 years. I always leave some windfall apples on the flower beds for the wildlife, and the fieldfare really tucks in.

2 Likes

Sounds like a sparrowhawk to me too. I have seen one attacking other birds in our garden and they are like lightning. All the other birds disappear very quickly and it’s some time before they return.

I went to tend to my parents grave last week and was lucky enough to see a Red Kite. It was sitting on headstones and then swooping around the church yard and it’s wing span was amazing.

2 Likes

Ok thanks I’ve only seen them fly off.

I mentioned earlier that I got a video of a sparrowhawk attacking a pigeon. I’m pleased to say that our cats scared it off and the pigeon escaped to live another day. Perhaps a pigeon was too much of a mouthful anyway!

1 Like