Bird table question

I have an app on my phone that identifies bird songs, I was being given a beautiful early evening concert and it is a Robin, the one that sounds like a squeaking door is a Great Tit. I get hours of pleasure from the birds, watching their different habits, their little squabbles and romances.

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s an indoor camera and I have it on the windowsill looking out. The birds just ignore it.

2 Likes

Oooh, that sounds funā€¦I didnā€™t know there was an app. I do look up some birds that I donā€™t know and listen to their birdsong, so Iā€™ll investigate that app as well. :+1:

I was thinking about the legality of this, and might have to check if I am permitted to record outside. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be fine, but I donā€™t want the neighbours complaining :roll_eyes:

Sounds more like sparrow hawk or kestrel Maver-rik, they pluck all the feathers off their victims before taking it to a safe place to eat, or delivering it to their young. Cats are not known to pluck a bird, domestic cats see catching a bird as sport rather than food.

2 Likes

The only area covered by that camera is our own garden, so there are no problems. Just make sure that your camera doesnā€™t overlook a neighbourā€™s property.

2 Likes

Last thing I would like to see is my neighbour if I can see him it means heā€™s having a sticky beak over the fence !

2 Likes

Yes, I will be sharing a garden with my neighbour, so maybe itā€™s best not to for the sake of neighbourly relations. Iā€™m sure a few photos wonā€™t hurt though :smiley:

Of the birds, I meanā€¦not the neighbour!

These cameras record videos rather than photos. However, if you have a word with your neighbour and explain that you just want to record birds visiting your bird table, and even show him the actual area covered, Iā€™m sure that he would be quite happy.

On the other hand, if you can show him which areas are NOT covered, heā€™ll be able to perform his nude sunbathing in freedom. (Of course, you could always adjust the camera later!)

3 Likes

My neighbour is a she.

With a cat. :scream:

Oh dear! Women are worse. You donā€™t want to get on the wrong side of HER.

1 Like

Thanks for thatā€¦ :roll_eyes: :joy:

To be fair though, I have to say if a new neighbour moved in beside me and wanted to suddenly video the garden, I think I would object as well :thinking:

Yeah, you are rightā€¦women are worse :joy:

Not necessarily, if you asked politely and gave a good reason. Isnā€™t it worth asking?
Or is she too scary?
I know there are some very scary women on hereā€¦ naming no names of course.

2 Likes

Hah. Youā€™d best watch your step them, young man. image

1 Like

Some feathers do come off when a cat catches a bird and sparrow hawks pick up the bird and fly off. Iā€™ve seen one in our garden and it doesnā€™t have to be a sparrow, it did get a blue tit.

We sat and watched a sparrow hawk strip itā€™s victim off all itā€™s feathers on the green beside our house logan, Iā€™ve also woken up to a pile of feathers on the lawn. I think if the hawk doesnā€™t feel threatened it will strip the bird in situ.

1 Like

Purrrrrrrrrrrfect!
Iā€™ll get me brownieā€¦
:movie_camera:

1 Like

Bath Time at Foxyā€™s placeā€¦

3 Likes

I always get a visitor this time of year, a fieldfare. He or she seems to be a ground feeder, and I have had one visiting my garden in December through January and sometimes into February for about 10 years. I always leave some windfall apples on the flower beds for the wildlife, and the fieldfare really tucks in.

2 Likes

Sounds like a sparrowhawk to me too. I have seen one attacking other birds in our garden and they are like lightning. All the other birds disappear very quickly and itā€™s some time before they return.

I went to tend to my parents grave last week and was lucky enough to see a Red Kite. It was sitting on headstones and then swooping around the church yard and itā€™s wing span was amazing.

2 Likes

Ok thanks Iā€™ve only seen them fly off.