Bird table question

I have 3 bird feeding stations in my garden and fill them each morning.

One day last week I noticed lots of little white feathers (perhaps magpie) on the grass. I checked all over the garden but happily found no sign of a dead or injured bird.

The next morning I noticed all the bird stations were still full, it looked like they hadn’t been touched. The following morning a little food had gone, but it was 4 days after I saw the feathers till they were back eating as normal.

The birds were obviously aware something had happened, but do you think it was a lingering scent of fear, or injury that kept them away, or some other sense.

1 Like

It could be Cats hiding and the birds know this.

1 Like

I do have cats visiting the garden fairly regularly, but it doesn’t normally put the birds off. Usually in the morning they are gathered in the trees waiting for me, I think they think I am their maid. Interestingly the cats have only started visiting the garden since I have been without a dog - 2 sad years now.

1 Like

Could be a sparrow hawk too they zoom in and take out other birds .

5 Likes

Hmmmm, I wonder if the little backyard bird family you have there is malting, or whatever it is birds do and maybe that puts them off your feed for a bit…I have no idea, just riffing

1 Like

Wrong time of the year for birds to be moulting in the Northern Hemisphere, Lucylulu. They would normally moult in late summer once any chicks have flown the nest.

2 Likes

Was too many feathers too close together for moulting, a bird was definitely attacked, but what I was curious about is why the birds stayed away for a few days, were they aware of what had happened, and if so how, was it a smell or was there a resonance of terror in the atmosphere of my garden, or might birds have a collective awareness, or some sort of extra sense.

My guess would be some sort of predator.
Have had similar in my garden, and have seen sparrow hawk attacks.
The birds may have a built in sense of self preservation, and takes a time for them to feel safe again :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Or maybe they took their feathers of to get ready for a punch up

My bird feeding stations are mostly near hedges and under trees this makes the small birds feel safer and puts obstacles in the way of the sparrow hawks .
The big birds Rooks Jackdaws and Woodpigieons come and feed off the ground in the more open area of the garden .
Sometimes when the garden goes a bit quiet I suspect a passing Buzzard or Red kite might be about as there are lots around here . I don’t have cats as Mungo sees them off .

I agree with others who say a predator of some sort, like a Hawk of some sort or perhaps a cat.
When the birds have a bad fright like perhaps seeing another one terrified as its carted off in the jaws or talons of a predator, they will, very wisely keep well away for a few days - wouldn’t we?

A good few years back when I kept quite a few different types birds, I remember a fox coming after my bantams in broad daylight. The birds were terrified and scattered all over the field. I had a devil of a job to round them up again as they were too frightened to come back home. For days afterwards they were constantly on edge until they finally settled again.

So be patient and give them time to return, but keep an eye out for trouble too.

2 Likes

Muddy, i think there is for and against having tables near hedges.
I can see your reasoning regarding Sparrow Hawks and the like, but some say hedges can also be hiding places for other predators, and the birds feeding cant see them until its too late. That is why some advise feeding out in the open.

Personally, i can see both points of view. I guess sometimes it depends where you live.

2 Likes

What an interesting thread. Thanks.

Our bird table is set outside the front of the house near some trees and bushes and is visited mostly by pigeons, but also a couple of collared doves which nearly always arrive together. The occasional robin or sparrow also partakes, but they probably feel safer using the hanging bird feeder.

I have once seen on our security camera a sparrowhawk attack a pigeon, but that was at the back of our house. Fortunately it flew off when our cats came to the window to see what was going on and the pigeon escaped.

The other possibility for your problem which occurs to me is squirrels. We often see squirrels shooting up the bird table (give them their due, they are excellent climbers) and as soon as they appear the birds are off. I suppose squirrels also are hungry even if it’s only for birdseed.

I once had a sparrowhawk land at my feet whilst out walking. The stupid bird had dived on something the far side of the hedge, miss, travel through the hedge & crash land at my feet.

Also, just before Christmas, a friend caught, what looks to be a sparrowhawk as it took a small bird out, as it sat on his garden fence & just 4 to 5 feet from his home. Sparrohawks are supreme hunters & although they sometimes get it wrong, they will take prey close to hedges, fences, buildings etc.

1 Like

My feeders are hung off the ground and the little birds pop in and out of the hedges and trees to feed .
Sparrow hawks prefer a clear run but having said that they are ace fliers .
Mungo keeps the garden cat free .

Excellent point, I was looking at everything from the wrong way up :grin:

1 Like

I’m about to move into a place which has a decent garden, so I’ll be looking for a bird table. Good point about the hedges as well…I hadn’t thought of that. :+1:

1 Like

When you do, unless you intend to spend all your time sitting and watching the birds, you could get a small camera which (with an SD card) can record any movement. That’s what I do and I have a look at the recordings from time to time.

This is what I use: Buy TP-Link Tapo C200 1080P Wi-Fi Smart Indoor Security Camera | Smart home monitoring | Argos

2 Likes

Thank you SO much! This is ideal :+1:

I was there last night at teatime picking up the keys, and it was twilight. All I heard were birds. It felt like heaven :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: so I’m sure there will be plenty of activity and things to be seen.

1 Like

Do you have this in your window JBR I notice it says indoors ?