BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

Why are you guys holding a discussion about spam emails in a thread about Smart Meters ? Go get yourself a room !

It is either:-

Diversification -

or

The radiation from the smart meters is stronger than we first thought and capable of travelling over the internet.

I had a good look at my Spam folder. I clicked ‘Properties’ and found only two buttons: Folder type (set as Mail) and Number of items (0). Neither of these, or anything else for that matter, could be changed and, of course, the folder cannot be removed.

Nine Reasons Why Today’s “Smart” Meter Systems Are A Mistake

[I]"there is world-wide opposition to smart meters. Fifty-seven jurisdictions in the US are opposed to mandatory smart meters. Fifteen jurisdictions in California have made smart meter installations illegal. More than half of the States in the US have wireless smart meter opposition groups. The opposition is growing and is persistent.

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) in a letter to the California Public Utilities Commission (January 2012) called for an immediate moratorium on smart meter installation and in October 2013 restated their call for a moratorium based on new scientific evidence that “clearly demonstrates adverse health effects in the human population from smart meter emissions.” Many experts concur"[/I]

Smart meters

It seems the smart meters already fitted to millions of homes may have to be replaced, the type 1 meter may not work on the new network ,only the type 2 will work, so the meters already installed are out of date , this could add millions ,if not a billion, to the cost, progress, eh!,

I heard something about this a little while ago Primus.

Another fine mess for a brainwave.

I am still refusing one anyway.

We received a letter from BG yesterday to say we were on the list for a smart meter … news to us! :smiley:

This has been warned about by concerned organisations for over a year now (including Which) and people are just starting to take notice.

I had an email from my energy company to ask when I would like their engineer to call to fit my meter they were working in my area.
I told them to cross my off the list I won’t be having one :twisted:

There is a goal for everyone to have one by by 2020 , I am hoping by that time enough people will have made a fuss about them that the whole programme of installations may be abandoned.

The meters were being discussed on a radio programme recently and apparently a lot of people have had spurious readings and don’t trust the meters anyway.

I nearly took up Swalec on the offer to have a meter fitted but after talking to a mate of mine who is a Corgi qualified gas engineer he ranted and raved about how bad they were and he would never have one fitted, so I didn’t.

Was there a specific concern from him about the meter MKJ?

May I ask a couple of questions, please?

Am I obliged to have a smart meter fitted?

If I state quite clearly that I do not want a smart meter, are they permitted to fit one anyway?

He went on and on about how bad an idea it was from all sorts of perspectives. This was some time ago but a point he raised that does stick in my mind that I hadn’t considered was that some customers had come out of a stay in hospital to find they had been cut off. I think he did say this was because of the automatic payment method these meters use. No personal touch so if someone hadn’t paid then bang off goes their supply. There were many points he raised but I discussed this with him a few years ago so I can’t remember what they were exactly. I was taken aback to be honest with you as it seemed a good idea to have one fitted to me at the time.

Thinking about it the fact it was based on WiFi was a real concern too with reliability being an issue along with the whole system being wide open to abuse and tampering.

He is a very excitable guy but he sure as hell knows everything about being a gas engineer so I took him at his word.

Thanks mate, I have been doing further research. My supplier ScotPower informs me that they can’t fit a smart meter to my home because we have an Economy 7 meter fitted. I also read that the energy supplier can switch off your power when it wants too?
See link.

So I am confused…I need a ‘smart’ brain…

Sorry but the point he raised was rubbish.

If you are in hospital and the meter reader knocks on the door gets no answer then an estimated bill is sent.

If not paid because you have been in Hospital or even abroad then the Gas/Elec board will have to enter your house to cut off your supply.

Won’t they be able to do that by using the wi-fi link?

Don’t most people pay by DD anyway?

yeah ok MOST people doesn’t mean ALL :confused:

Not really looked in to it but I just did a search and then took a look at this page that smart meters do have the potential to knock supplies off.

If you have a smart energy meter in your home, your supplier could potentially disconnect your supply remotely without needing to access to your meter. However, before they do this, they must have:

contacted you to discuss options for repaying your debt, eg through a repayment plan
visited your home to assess your personal situation and whether this would affect you being disconnected, eg if you’re disabled or elderly

If they don’t do this and they try and disconnect you, make a complaint to your supplier.

I did mention he is an excitable guy and this was a few years ago.

Other stuff I just read was being charged more at a certain time of the day and so on. I didn’t see much mention of any savings to be made though.

I would rather have a meter than have to submit my own readings or those of the guy that knocks on my door occasionally. But how safe is it? Does it make mistakes? Can it be abused by unscrupulous companies?

I should really have another word with my mate. I might in fact send him an email. Trouble is with him if he rings me I can’t get him off the phone.

Some people are on a meter me thinks. Stick some money in for x amount of energy.

Quite correct :wink:
I have a friend who has to do something with a card and if there’s less than a fiver on it, they get charged an extra £2 :shock:

I have key metre for electric and card metre for gas