BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

The number of adverts lauding the so-called benefits of the new “Smart Meters” is increasing. This is a nefarious creeping push by the energy companies to snoop on all of your energy usage whilst at the same time damaging your health through high strength microwave radiation.

It’s very important that we all do our research here.

The new Smart Meters are said to be like having a mobile phone mast bolted to your house. Where you home WiFi router is designed to transmit its signal a few meters, energy Smart Meters can be designed to transmit their signal a number of MILES.

In the USA the advent of Smart Meters has resulted in mass protests, with countless people refusing to have them and refusing energy engineers access to their properties.

The same is happening in the UK. You are all going to get a “Hard Sell” to accept one or more of these new meters and that sales pitch will try and convince you that you could save money via the little gadget they will give you which lets you see the energy usage. In practice studies have shown that despite having this, people do not alter their consumption habits.

There are multiple issues with Smart Meters but the one you need to be most concerned with is the health issue. Being irradiated by the mobile phone/WiFi signal from these devices 24x7 is not a good idea for your health or that of your children.

The meters have this in-built mobile/WiFi capability so that they can send signals to a central/base station which may be located close to or far from your house. This will send info to your energy company about your energy usage including in the future how and when you do certain things like use the kettle, the shower and so on. Modern devices like fridges, freezers, TVs and the like are all going to come with RFID transmitters in them. The Smart Meters will be able to communicate with your boiler and other devices as time goes on.

Ultimately this is a foundation milestone for the energy companies who will likely later change your charging mechanism. Where you now get charged per unit of energy used, this may later change to a system where you will be charged different rates at different times of the day. Obviously having monitored everyone’s energy usage, the companies will charge us the highest rate during the period we use the most energy. So ultimately, a Smart Meter will lead to you paying a lot more money.

Do your research here:

What is a ‘$mart’ Meter (and why is my profit-hungry energy company so desperate for me to have one)?

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/resources/what-are-smart-meters/

Health Impacts

IMPORTANT NOTES

1. If you need a new boiler and ask British Gas to install one, you will by default get your energy meter swapped out to a new Smart Meter without any further consent. The small print in the contract for a new boiler allegedly contains a clause stating you accept a new meter.
    READ THE SMALL PRINT !

2. Even if YOU realise the dangers of Smart Meters to your health, your neighbour may not. If they have a Smart Meter installed and if their house is close to yours, then you will still be constantly irradiated by their meter.
    Therefore TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOURS and ensure they understand the risks too

3. Despite anything the energy companies say to you, despite how hard the “sell”, THEY CANNOT FORCE YOU to have a Smart Meter. They may even say to you that you MUST have one, but they are lying if they do. one in the UK HAS to have a Smart Meter. However the energy companies are likely to penalise us if we don’t accept one.
    What price do you put on your health and that of your children?

The great smart meter rip-off: Energy giants will use devices to DOUBLE the cost of power when you need it most

"Energy giants are set to use digital smart meters as a way to double the cost of power when families need it most — adding nearly £60 a year to the average bill.

A Money Mail investigation has discovered Britain’s leading power firms are expected to introduce tariffs that charge more at peak times when they roll out new electronic meters which monitor how much energy you use by the second."

British families at risk from smart meters, campaigners tell MPs

"Officials said smart meters are perfectly safe, as the level of radiation they emit is less than that of a mobile phone. Energy companies are planning to install the devices in British homes by 2019 to make gas and electricity readings more accurate.

However, Stop Smart Meters UK told MPs that there is evidence the radiation could be 140 to 800 times higher than that from mobile phones.

Dr Liz Evans, a campaigner, said there are hundreds of studies showing “evidence of harm could be acute”, including possible “chronic effects from long term exposure such as cancer, infertility, dementia, genetic damage, immune system dysfunction and damage to foetuses”.

I’ve never heard of ‘Stop Smart Meters UK’, and I think I’d question the validity of what she says. If she were a scientifically qualified representative, she would be aware that ‘acute’ = of sudden onset, whereas it sounds like she means ‘severe’.

In any event, if I were ever ordered to accept a smart meter, I’d secretly cover in in metal foil and see how they feel about that. Alternatively, I’d cover it in metal foil during expensive peak periods and uncover it during the cheap times of day, thus saving myself a shed load of money!

Not for me, I’ve still got a paper driving licence:-), what happens if you move house and it’s already been kitted out, can you have it removed?

Interesting post realist,
I must confess I didn’t know about the health risks associated with smart meters , however, I think they are a con as you say , you will be charged at different rates at different times of day, plus they won’t need people to come and read your meter as it can be done remotely, I will resist having a smart meter installed for as long as possible,
I have listened to quite a few consumer programs on the radio where people have been overcharged for their energy and have difficulty getting a refund/bill adjustment .

I’ve been receiving letters from SSE to have a smart meter fitted for a couple of years , I just bin them . Interesting post realist Thankyou

If they’re like water meters, NO!

No. The Smart Meter would be left with the house, as would the gadget you get which shows your usage. It is tied/mapped to the meter so wouldn’t work with any other meter.

Do your research JBR. You really don’t want a high strength mobile transmitter strapped to your house irradiating you 24x7.

They would simply send an engineer round to examine the unit and then ask you to remove it. If you refused they would cut off your supply. In the US people made simple Faraday cages but they get nowhere. Lots and lots of civil unrest about the meters in the US.

If your neighbour doesn’t share your thoughts and has one you’re knackered so check their views.

Why we are told smart meters are needed…

Smart meters are the new generation of gas and electricity meters being rolled out across Great Britain. They show you how much energy you are using in pounds and pence, in near real time and bring an end to estimated bills.

I am not having a smart meter fitted, nothing to do with radiation, I refused to be manipulated by the power companies :twisted:.

Every month I read my own meter and submit the results online so I don’t cost the power company a penny in meter readers unless they choose to send someone to read the meter. I do not have estimated bills.

I don’t need any meter telling me how much power I am using from moment to moment therefore prompting me to turn off appliances and cut my bills (do power companies really want us spending less :shock: ), I have news for the power companies, most of us are not rich and only use what power is absolutely necessary we don’t need a reminder to do that.

Once the goal of getting everyone to have a meter has been achieved we will see the power companies deciding exactly when we can use power by manipulating the prices and putting up the costs of power at peak times in an attempt to force us to use power at the discretion of the power companies.

The futile excercise of fitting smart meters is going to cost us all around 11 billion pounds , a total waste of money I would say…

They have been in use here for quite a few years. But the effects apparently are hard to study given the many such sources of small amounts of periodic radiofrequency waves from things such as cell phones and Wi-Fi devices.

There was some news I recall years back that was similar to the concern about cell phones causing brain tumors, etc. Didn’t pan out though.

Interesting YouTube clip here. Shows smart meter radiation being measured. The radiation is high power bursts and they occur every minute not every 4-6 hours as touted by the energy companies.

The vid then goes on to highlight ALL the other ways your health is being assaulted and the reason for it.

Meg, I agree with all that. I will not pay an estimated bill.
I read my gas, water, and electric to make sure my bills are correct.

Which reminds me I must check my meters tomorrow thanks…they can stuff their smart metres up their arse!

I have 2, for my gas meter I have a key that I put £20 each week on and the electric I use a card also put £20.
After this I put the card or key in the meter, it tells me how much credit I have then I press a button and it adds the £20.
I can also see how much a unit I am being charged.
Every 3 to 4 months I receive a voucher for free elec/gas to go on my card or key.
The meters are in a cupboard, we have had them for years now.

Yes, I feel much the same way Rehab.
They have asked me several times already if they can change me over but I’ve managed to fend them off so far.

Yes indeed.

The problem however is the extent to which the energy companies will penalise you for refusing a smart meter.

Once they change the charging system to different rates at different times of the day, everything will change.

If you don’t accept the smart meter at that point then the energy companies will state that they can’t get reliable info to know how much to charge you, and as a result they will put you on their top tariff, which is really just a huge blanket charge.

So we will all have to make the difficult choice . . .

Pay more money or damage our health.

Perhaps, but then we still have the right to change supplier - as often as we like with no penalty - and it is very easy to do. Competition is still the best thing for the consumer.