Betting Odds On The Next Tory Leader

well according to Mary Lou they want it back alright but democratically I believe? she sounded quite genuine in wanted a united Ireland ? and then at the end of the speach and question time she turned away from the lecturn walk across the stage and tripped and nearly took a head dive into a waiting chair ?? - I wonder whether that was a sign from above?

1 Like

A bit like Putin wanting to re-unite the Ukraine with Russia…Whether they want it or not.

1 Like

Hi, this is an automated message from your friendly Over50sChat bot :039:

Please note this thread has been tagged with our strictly-on-topic-please tag - this means the poster of the thread would prefer that you stay on-topic when posting in this thread.

If you’d like to start a related discussion you can do so easily by clicking on the time-stamp in the top right of any post and then clicking on + New Thread - this will then let you post a new thread and place a link to each from the other, thus making them ‘linked threads’ :023:

Thank you for your understanding and for helping make the Over50sChat community the best it can be!

:orange_heart:

It depends on how the odds one is quoting are set.
I used to know an odds compiler and it involved a lot more analysis of other factors than just the “wisdom of the crowds” in where they were placing their money.

Here’s an odds compiler blogging about the different types of odds-setting.

1 Like

https://www.paddypower.com/politics/uk-party-leaders

1 Like

Hmm not sure what this means now…is Liz Truss favourite all of a sudden?

2 Likes

Only with the bookies … in the real world, Sunak’s still ahead while Truss and Mordaunt are neck and neck … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I must admit to the same Pixie…When it’s simple like 4:1 or 10:1 I can understand it…But 10 to 11? was that the time the figures were posted? :017:

EXAMPLE 10/11 BET (WIN)

So now we get to work out of the odds. This is actually a very simple maths formula.

The first number (10) is the amount you’ll win from wagering the second number (11). So for every £11 that you bet, you will get back £10 if your bet wins. You’re getting slightly less back than you risk, but it’s worth remembering a winning bet returns your original stake too.

For instance, a £5 winning bet at 10/11 will pay out £4.55 (plus your £5 stake) giving a total return of £9.55. If you increase the stake to £20 you’ll get £38.18 back (includes £20 stake).

2 Likes

Thanks for that Omah…
:+1:

1 Like

there’s nothing for it … I’ll have to bet Each Way

1 Like

I must be thick, I still don’t understand 8/15 and 5/4 :anguished:

You’re not thick … I don’t get it too. I certainly don’t get why they can’t keep them all at say … 10/1 or 8/1 or 4/1.

I do understand that Sunak doesn’t look a very lucrative bet. He’s almost …evens.
But at 8/15 does that mean that Liz Truss is almost 2 to 1 ?

Think of it this way, if would were to put money on then for Liz Truss you would have to gamble £15 to win £8, and for Rishi Sunak you would have to bet £4 to win £5, so in fact Liz Truss is now favourite as the bookies think she has a better chance of winning, hence the shorter odds…

3 Likes

@Barry Ah, that sounds more understandable. Thanks for explaining.

1 Like

Oh heck, we are even more doomed than we were before :frowning_face: Funny how they both bought into, and played to the lies spouted by BJ…then Rishi resigned, and she didn’t. Suddenly…suddenly she’s top dog. :thinking:

1 Like

Is it because Tory members are mugs for BJ … :question:

2 Likes