Best Modern Day Actor

Following on from another thread, Bratti mentioned how Will Smith was one of her favourite all time actors.

Over the years there have been many, many good actors, too many to mention, but what actor/s do you feel qualify in the Best Modern Day Actor category?

For me some of my favourites are:

Tom Hanks
Anthony Hopkins
Jack Nicholson
Morgan Freeman
Robin Williams
Al Pacino
Will Smith
Idris Elba
Robert De Niro
Russell Crow

I was going to name my favourite but I just can’t choose.

How about you?

I would hardly class a lot of your list as modern day actors, Tom hanks 65, Antony Hopkins 84, Jack Nicholson 84, Morgan Freeman 84, to name but a few.

I didn’t want to list actors from the Cary Grant era, I suppose I meant actors in my lifetime later than Carys era. Forgive me Mr F

1 Like

I class myself as thoroughly modern…queenie lol

2 Likes

But if they are still acting, how can they not be modern day actors?

2 Likes

I don’t think you committed a mortal sin, you don’t need to worry about your soul. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t think of one young up and coming actor I rate at the mo, but there again, I am not so keen on current films either. So much is centred around violence and bad language IMO.

I mean, can you remember a current feel-good love story for example? Or any feel-good film come to that? Something with a happy ending instead of dead bodies everywhere!
It was 1970 when that famous old ‘Love Story’ film made its name. Few of todays films will still be talked about in 50 years time.

I also dislike science fiction films, and there seems an abundance of that on telly at the mo.

Like Queenie, I prefer people like -

Tom Hanks
Idris Elba
Richard Gere
Liam Neeson
And I still melt at George Clooneys smile! :heart_eyes:
Anthony Hopkins can give me the chills just to look at him, but he was very good. Remember the film where he was a butler, and starred with Emma Thompson, that was sad but good.

Can’t stand Johnny Depp andf don’t like Tom Cruise much either.

And doesn’t the UK make films any more? Why are 9 our of 10 films on telly nowadays about American cops and their never ending car chases/tyres screaching/guns, and criminals/drug dealers?

Or another old repeat storyline which is done to death, is the Cop/Bounty hunter/ex criminal/retired Sheriff, etc who is brought out of retirement to solve one last case??? Grrrr . . . .

1 Like

Tom Hanks
Kevin Coster
Clint Eastwood
Leonardo Dicaprio

Tom Hardy. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: He can adapt to many different roles, has played double parts in the same movie, and he loves dogs, so…what else needs to be said!

1 Like

As others have said above in remarks, there aren’t many films I want to see these days. It’s all sci-fi, make believe, and gore.

One guy who hasn’t been mentioned is Hugh Grant. He has such an average, yet friendly face, I have enjoyed most of his movies, and his partners in them.

I have never watch a film with him in it as for some inexplicable reason I cannot stand him, most odd. :rofl: :rofl:

One less person to ogle him, then! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ogling a man now that would be a first. :rofl: :rofl:

Not in the same league, but that Gino cook bloke who presents Family Fortunes. There is no way that his accent is that thick but he maintains the pretence really well.

David Tenant.
images
And Kit Harington.

This always makes me laugh. :grinning:

2 Likes

There are many in my list, but if I was pressed to name one good all round actor who stood out in my opinion, the Ken Stott would receive my Oscar.

Ken Stott - Wikipedia

1 Like

Martin Shaw
Davis Tennent
John Thaw - sadly no longer with us.
Martin Shaw
Anthony Hopkins
Roger Allam
Brendan Coyle
Liam Neeson
Allen Leech
Finbar Lynch
Oh - have I mentioned Martin Shaw?

1 Like

I forgot Michael Sheen, how could I do that…

I loved them both in Good Omens.

David Tennant yes absolutely, him, Ken Stott & Katy Murphy were in a series called Taking the Asylum back in the mid 90’s. Great actors, all of them.

1 Like

No one has mentioned Pauline Quirk. She was amazing in the Sculptress.

Also, on my list of people who make something worth watching are.

Harriet Walter
Barbara Flynn
Nicola Walker
Jim Broadbent
Sarah Lancashire
Anna Chancellor
Stephen Tompkinson
Robert Glenister
Hermione Norris
Peter Firth
Jeff Rawle