Beggars outside shops

There is one chap who sits outside our small Tesco during the day, no idea where he goes at night. People give him the things he needs & food & drink & have tried to get him to get help but he doesn’t want it. He likes being homeless I think. He is no threat to anyone, very polite to all who talk to him.
I haven’t seen any other homeless person around here.

What would you do about it ?

1 Like

You can’t force a homeless person to take the help offered if they don’t want it.

1 Like

Really, I just wanted to point out that there are people out there really hungry and cold for whatever reason and it’s not right to assume they can all get benefits, be fed, sleep in doors if they really wanted to and just made a bit more effort

Nor is it right to assume they are all frauds trying to con you

I think the thing to do about it is to try to see these people as human beings and not just a nuisance, inconvenience or a threat. There’s a reason they’re where they are and whatever mistakes they’ve made, there but for the grace of God go I

Of course you’ve got to protect yourself, there are a lot of frauds and violent people out there too

I support the Salvation Army but sometimes if someone looks really cold and desperate I give them the price of a coffee

The last time I saw people sleeping rough was in Nottingham about two years ago .
I certainly would not have approached any of them they looked far too intimidating.

I would not like to be the people who clean up after them either as they used the street as their bathroom

No you can’t .

1 Like

The problem is though, some people are doing this for a living, saw an opportunity and took full blown advantage of it…as one member said, she saw someone changing into their rags or whatever it was…

All members on here would look at a beggar as a human being of course they would and they would help them…

But not those who are milking it, they give the real homeless people a bad name…because the cheating beggars have jumped on the band wagon.

My dad and I used to buy coffee and sandwich for a bloke who used to sit outside Greg’s I our town. We felt sorry for him. Also there was an old woman and still us tgat sits outside tesco and we’d buy her coffee too.

No more though because these two made a complete fool of us abusing our kindness.

The bloke it turns out has a council flat not far from where I live and he gets benefits. I was really cross when I found out. He took money from my dad and I and isn’t even homeless! He also sits outside tesco at the entrance.

The old woman it turns out is part of a set of romanian scammers and someone in a posh car drops her off and picks her up at end of day. She’s not homeless either.

It’s made me suspicious now and I don’t give to either anymore.

There is one homeless guy tgat is known around here and he is genuine. He never bothers anyone. He busks playing his guitar. He’s a lovely man .

1 Like

I do give to buskers if I like the music :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ LionQueen - he might just be smarter than the others?? - telling the difference between a ‘professional’ and ‘real lifer’ can be difficult - if you make the wrong call down the drain your money goes!!

That’s true Gumbud, and that’s why I would never give an apparently homeless person money. I have been know to buy them food or a hot drink. I don’t really care if they are not what they seem, a sandwich and cup of tea or coffee would be welcomed on a cold day by anyone. I would even treat you to a sandwich and a hot drink Gummy if we met in the future…
:innocent:
My generosity knows no bounds…
:sunglasses:

yes you are known as a boundful fellow but remember my advise don’t bound too much when you head says push harder listen to ya balls!!

1 Like

Mine does when they are taking the p out of me. I’d rather my hard earned money go to someone who really needs it. He’s idle and won’t work so scams people, thats not right in my eyes, scammers are not nice people so why would I give a sandwich and tea to someone who thinks it’s ok to pray on the kind hearted.

2 Likes

It’s not going to break the bank Lion Queen, and everyone has a story to tell, and besides. It makes me feel better about myself…
I think, what would Jesus do…
and I don’t think he would discriminate…

I read once that if you genuinely want to help the homeless, the best way is to donate to the charities that deal with them who will make sure that your money actually goes to improve their lives in some way, as opposed to giving money directly to them, where you could be scammed or the money used for drink/drugs/other criminal activity.

1 Like

We bought him bacon sarnies and coffee every saturday for weeks until we found out he was a fraud.

Might not have broken my bank but are you saying it’s ok to fraud people Foxy and take advantage of peoples kindness?

The only story he has to tell is that he’s a lazy, dole cheat so and so. I can’t feel sorry for people like that, he was never there when it was raining or bad weather, funny that, must have been tucked up in his warm little flat.

Wise advice this is what I do .

well you do have a choice ‘to buy or not to buy’ it is a democracy you live in - yes I wonder what Jesus would say - he did give advice out to a few during his ministry - maybe " stand up oh beggar and go and find some suitable employment - working is good for the soul"??

That’s fair enough Graham, but the joy and satisfaction for me is when I see their little unshaven faces and bloodshot eyes light up when I present them with a hot steaming mug of Yorkshire tea, and a Greggs finest…

Of course I’m not saying that Lion Queen, but while I’m nonchalantly strolling down the street, I don’t have the means or the inclination to verify the beggars CV, same as you didn’t, so for that one time I might get suckered but rarely twice…

Wouldn’t he have been a little hypocritical Gumbud, I may be wrong…But wasn’t he unemployed at the time?