Beggars outside shops

Everywhere I go around here, there are beggars sitting on the pavements just outside shop doorways, or by supermarkets foyers.
This week there were two in Asda’s street entrance and two more just outside the car park entrance.
Tesco’s was the same, and so was Iceland and M & S.

Some look quite sinister to me, and make me feel a little uneasy.
Do you think I am unfair?

Do you have much of this where you live, too?

really I saw this in Dublin 20 yrs ago when I visited - what’s changed. Well first you do need to identify what ’ nationality’ are they - true brits or all the rest?
but seriously isn’t this the sign of the times ; illness sweeping the nations ; poverty ; refugees from everywhere - coming from extreme poverty to relative poverty?

I think if you were able to give them so small change you have they would probably appreciate that and you would get brownie points from upstairs??

There are none where I live in the country.
I see them if I go to a big town which I haven’t done in the last two years.
I used to give to big issue sellers before they were taken over by a Romanian syndicate.
I don’t think you are being unfair at all.
Everyone gets benefits in the U.K. there are no penniless beggars I give to charity via direct debit and by donating stuff which is sold for the same. I don’t think beggars should be allowed to hang about in shop doorways ,it is a sign of the times as we sink into being a third world country .

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve seen this but where we used to live and shop once you left the mall parking lot they’d be right there limping right in front of you begging for money. It’s actually very dangerous for drivers. They did it at the highway entrances which is even more dangerous.

@Bratti - remember the tale of the “good samaritan?”

3 Likes

The Good Samaritan was not giving money to a beggar but to a man who had been mugged by thieves !
Always best to check your sanctimonious quotes first !

What do you give Gummy are you out on the streets doling charity to every beggar or are you sitting on your computer all hours winding up people on social forums .:slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a Good Samaritan . I don’t reward bad behaviour. Causing traffic to slow at places that are already a hazard is dangerous. I don’t reward those trying to sleaze their way into trying to make me feel bad while potentially causing an accident. Just like your trying to make me feel bad does **** all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

@Muddy @Bratti well you two are easy to wind up - must be over-sensitive and possible chronic computer syndrome?

2 Likes

As opposed to bored old man syndrome :slight_smile:

you live with one do you?

Begging is now a profession and when it started to become a problem in my town, the police were instructed to move them on. There seems to be the occasional one or two chancing it, but plod does their job efficiently and they soon disappear.

• Vagrancy Act 1824 (section 3). Enables the arrest of anybody who is begging. It is a recordable offence and carries a level 3 fine (currently £1,000)
  • Highways Act 1980 (section 137). If a person wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway they are guilty of an offence. This carries a level 2 fine (currently £500)
  • Public Order Act 1986 (section 5). Causing harassment, alarm or distress. This carries a level 3 fine (£1000) or a penalty notice of £80
1 Like

I am from the line of Levi … those Samaritans should keep their nose out of it :wink::point_right::grin:

I would imagine many do not understand the law or perhaps cannot read English? you allow them to enter the country and then cannot provide care for them when they are in need? some swingers comin in now I see?

I was warned by my bus driver in Basingstoke about these beggars in Newbury, he knows half of them and told me they have hostel to live in.

They sit on the street with cap before them, to get extra money for their habits ,plus they don’t want to spend all day in the hostel.

There was one guy who was sat outside a shop ,who said he and his partner lived in a tent…whether any of what I was told by these two men were true, I have no idea.

roll up roll up beggars for sale?

The beggars round by me are not British…many of them have dogs for the extra “sympathy” cash.

They often sit right beside a cash machine too, so if you have to use one, they sit with their old cup saying “please, please”, imploring you.

I feel sorry for the women, but these people are not genuinely homeless. They keep business hours, and are brought into the smaller towns from the cities via a large van.

5 Likes

Most of these people who sit on the streets do have homes ,they also have complex mental issues and / or are drug dependants .
There is no reason for anyone to live in the streets in the U.K. as there are shelters and hostels .

2 Likes

Give em’ a kick Mupsy and tell them to ‘Move on’ I don’t give bugger all to anybody except my family.
:boxing_glove:

2 Likes

@OldGreyFox - nothing for the church then?

Gummy, there are too many of these people, that is my point.
If I had given all of them my loose change - as you call it - i wouldnt have had any money left either! SEVEN beggars in one afternoon is a bit much. And thats without the Big Issue sellers outside Wilkinsons and M&S as well.

Also, them being broke doesnt seem to prevent them smoking fags, and having mobile phones - neither of which are cheap.
One chap on the tills in Asda told me he had seen one of them being picked up in a BMW each day too.
Another was quoted as saying he can earn over £100 a day, on a good day, Tax Free. That is loads more than i earned when I was working legitamately AND I had to pay Tax!

I am not a mean person by a long chalk, and like Muddy said, I already donate to legitimate causes regularly, but ones who dont watch you, stare at you, and make me feel apprehensive as I pass them.

2 Likes