Beefing up NATO

Or the Queen who has overspent this year

Hi

Warefare has changed, we should not be fighting the battles of the past, but the battles of the future.

We can learn from history, in particular WW2.

|Battleships where the big thing then, they did not last long, easily destroyed by aircraft carriers.

We are at a similar time now, remote controlled drones are the order of the day, cheap and can be swarmed to overcome any defense.

Our two hugely expensive Aircraft Carriers are a joke, we cannot even defend them.

We have to borrow ships from other nations because ours do not work in warm water.

Time for a major change in the way we operate in thr future, not in thr way we operated in WW2.

2 Likes

We certainly did, against all the odds and which just goes to show how well trained our servicemen used to be, and hopefully still are.
Yes, I copied the programme on to DVD when it was shown on TV. I used to do a lot of that to save buying them!

1 Like

I’d be a lot happier if the EU did the same.

1 Like

Yes, typical bad planning on our part.

Yep Muds, ÂŁ60.00 plus is bonkers.

Every war is a learning exercise, and we retool, retrain for the last conflicts lessons, It’s not possible to train for the next one.

We must expect the unexpected? Nah!

The last few punch up we were involved in and the ‘lessons’ garnered

Falklands - ‘Right! Long range amphibious Ops it is’

GW1 - ‘OMG! Get all the heavy armor back, it’s all about tanks.’

Bosnia - ‘Steady - We’re just peacekeepers now
’

Afghanistan - Quick - ‘It’s lightweight mobility against asymmetric threats.’

GW2 - ‘Damn - Did anyone keep the insurgency pamphlets from the Radfan?’

Ukraine - ‘Hurry up - We need AD systems and a lot more drones.’

And each reorg, retraining and re- arming costs more than the last one, it will be late and over budget, and not fit or purpose when the next conflict rears it’s heads :grinning:

I’m glad we’ve got a boffin on sit Vlad ; it does help tremendously - wanna pint after that?

NATO was a cold war body, to keep its relevance it needs an enemy and after the collapse of the USSR it didn’t have an enemy.

With the imperial ambitions of Russia an enemy has appeared so NATO has a purpose in Europe again.

It was interesting to see that NATO has mentioned China, something that hasn’t happened before, that’s a new development.

Meanwhile Australia and France are becoming chums again.

2 Likes

There was a Chinese diplomat on the radio the other day and he more or less threatened the West that any interference in China desire to reunite/ take over Taiwan would be met with firm resistance and would have dire consequences.

:grinning: I have been called many things gumbud, but never a boffin, I am ex mil, read a lot, a member of RUSI, I attend a lot of ZOOM lectures so I am still in the loop military wise and I also speak fluent bullshit, your pint is gratefully accepted.:grin:

Someone remind me - who gave The Fat Oaf permission to “invest” so much tax payers money and so many of our tax payers funded assets in the Ukraine conflict?

1 Like

God!!

No, seriously, how was The Fat Oaf allowed to be so “generous” with our taxes and taxpayer funded assets? That is quite apart from involving this country in a conflict that is none of our business?

Something Proxy is going on?

@The_Artful_Todger , Aint it called a state of emergency ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

he doesn’t need to keep going back to the peoples to ask permission for everything - that would be called a democracy!

1 Like

No. We were at no risk. This is yet another Bunter eff-up. I honestly believe he is deranged or seriously mentally ill. He is certainly not fit to be in government at ANY level.

@The_Artful_Todger , You could be talking of Putin Todge ??
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1:

I have a lot of time for Putin and the shocking position Russia found itself in because of American interference in Ukraine. If the Minsk agreements had not been broken by Ukraine encouraged by America non of this would have come about.

1 Like