Bad language and swearing

Language has always changed over time. There are many words that we use differently to the way they were used in the past, and this has probably been true of every era. One of the most noticeable examples of this is how the nature of “bad” language, or swearing, has changed.

When I was at school, most of the kids regularly used bad language, albeit out of earshot of the teachers, but unknown to me at the time, so did many adults. Or at least most working-class men used it, as I discovered after I left school and started work. I don’t know to what extent women used swear words, but I imagine it wasn’t uncommon in the workplace, although that would probably depend on whether the workplace was a factory or a bank.

The thing is though, kids didn’t swear in the presence of adults, and adults didn’t swear in the presence of kids. Men and women didn’t normally use bad language in each other’s company, either. It was like an unwritten rule that nobody mentioned, but most observed.

Things are completely different these days; everybody seems to use whatever language they like, regardless of who can hear it. I say everybody, but, although it is true of my generation, it seems more prevalent among younger ones.

I’m not complaining about it, or criticising, but merely voicing an observation. Bad language doesn’t really bother or offend me. I must admit, though, I did feel a bit uncomfortable when I heard an infant who lives next door to my daughter being told by her grandmother, who was about to take her to school, not to forget her effing lunch box again.

3 Likes

I believed My late Dad never sweared until my Boyfriend moved in our House and informed me…
I never heard a bad word on growing up and only learnt swearing at High School…100% agree, no words crossed kids to adults or vise versa…Now it would seem different…swearing was common last time I heard in the UK, but to me what is the point really…just words…

can replace swear with just words of love…hi Harbie… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Was your Dad happy about the under his Roof situation?

I disagree. Or at least in my neck of the woods, We walk a lot, chat to people, go to the store, delivered our groceries at home, stroll to the pharmacy…no bad language.

1 Like

nope but he loved me.

Well I didn’t mean to sugggest bad language was rife in every social situation, Besoeker, but I find that people are a lot less discrimination about where and when they use it these days.

And who can blame him for that. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hugs:

1 Like

Got a lump in my throat now…so time to exit…

2 Likes

I grew up in a house my parents didn’t swear . I never swore until I left home …

I abhor foul language - don’t use it myself and will not tolerate it from anyone else. It is so unnecessary. If someone is ill mannered enough to use it while in conversation with me - I will walk away. The worst thing anyone has ever heard me say in extremis is ‘damnation’ - and while this may be considered as an expletive it is not a swear word.

My parents would have been outraged if we had spoken to them the way some of today’s children speak to their parents. My brother once said ‘bloody’ and was dragged off to the bathroom and had his mouth washed with soap. He never did it again.

Grandpa had a strange expression which he used when taken by surprise - "Hell’s Bells and Spider’s ankles! ". I remember following spiders about for days trying to see if they actually had ankles - and I am still not sure! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Personally I don’t swear in conversation or at anybody and never have. However, it cannot go unnoticed that these days swearing is so prevalent, among some, that it has almost become part of the language, particularly with some younger people.

I never once heard my parents swear and was brought up that swearing shows a total lack of vocabulary, there are other more acceptable words to express yourself.

It can be expected to hear swearing, for instance on a building site or in a factory but not in a bank or similar place. Hearing women swear is, for me anyway, appalling and a complete turn-off.
:frowning_face:

2 Likes

You can hear swearing everywhere today few moderate their language when you walk past it’s just another downgrade in a society that has lost its moral compass.

4 Likes

I do swear but only under my breath when I’ve done something stupid.

1 Like

Swearing is commensurate to frustration, as the frustration level drops, so does the swearing. :smiley:

1 Like

In a nutshell .

1 Like

I don’t personally swear, only on the odd occassion if I am frustrated with something, but my Hubby swears all the time, but we put it down to his job, he calls its GARAGE TALK, being a Motor Mechanic all your life with others swearing all the time, but he would never swear in front of children.

1 Like

I don’t swear when I talk. I don’t think it’s very ladylike.

There’s nothing more unattractive than a foul mouthed man or woman in my opinion. I have noticed kids swear nowadays. It’s probably the rap music that they listen too.

The English language has more than enough words to get your frustration across without resorting to swearing.

2 Likes

There is little in the Dictionary that suffices when Hammer connects with Thumb Knuckle. :grinning: :biking_man:

4 Likes

Well, I’ve done that plenty of times and my expletives is just Ouch or yikes!

1 Like

You and stupid don’t go together!