Bad language and swearing

I disguise it well.

1 Like

I think some people use bad language when they are angry , or something has gone wrong, and in those circumstances it doesnā€™t bother me. It is just a word people use when they want to express their anger or upset and very rarely is it connected to the original meaning of the word.
When young people swear I think it is sad that their vocabulary is so limited that they donā€™t know a more suitable word that expresses their feelings! :icon_sad:

1 Like

But thanks anyway.You are obviously very perceptive and beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree that thereā€™s a place for it. Iā€™m sure men working together probably not within ear shot of women and kids swear. Thatā€™s totally acceptable and understandable. But itā€™s limited to the situation.

The classical music gave you away :grinning:

Not The Fall then :astonished:

1 Like

Nope, not the Fallā€¦

1 Like

Trying to think of words used by my parents at home when I was little ā€¦

Never the F word, but maybe Pa used it in the workshop, hammer connecting with thumb.

Bastard & Bloody: two words Pa might use occasionally in civilised discussion of current affairs.

Ma would swear lite when hot under the collar: blithering idiot, that kind of thing.

1 Like

And hey DooD!

And you?

My lovely mum used to call us 7 kids

Little Bs as in Bees

We used to run around flapping our arms pretending to be bees

Its only in later life I realised she meant

Little ba ā€¦ds !

How innocent is that

Now I can swear like a trooper when Iā€™m alone and hit my little toe or bang my elbow but I dont swear when out or with people . I know many who use the F and C word a lot itā€™s not nice

Where I live, swearing is part of the common language of communication. It isnā€™t said with any aggression or towards anyone, its just a regular word. I think its horrible and unnecessary and doesnā€™t really add anything to the talk. It can even be said in a friendly jovial manner among guys as in ā€œAlright mate, hows it effing goinā€™ with you?ā€ or ā€œOi ya cā€¦ Iā€™ll see you laterā€ which is really bizarre!

Fook a Dook @Minx

I met my wife to be in the early 80s, an English student in London, encouraging me to utter such naughtiness.

And I still use it when pleasantly surprised by something, she still likes that one after all these years. I do use the F word occasionally in different tone of voice ā€¦ it depends who Iā€™m with. I find the middle classes use it, accept it as part of dinner party conversation. Other may not.

Itā€™s a difficult one ā€¦ different groups swear differently and for different reasons.

1 Like

Thatā€™s rather insightful. I never thought of it that way. Another perspective to dwell on :thinking:

2 Likes

The C word ā€¦ if itā€™s what Iā€™m thinking ā€¦ no no. :018: that never sits well.

2 Likes

I am definitely with you on that one. To me, that must be the worst kind of swearword in existence. It is so ā€¦ ermmā€¦ so, well actually, I cannot think of a way to describe how it makes me feel. . perhaps rage!
A ladyā€™s most intimate part is SO intimate, it should not be reduced to a swearword and then abused.

1 Like

I can and do at work swear with the best or worst of them, at home Iā€™ve never sworn , the eldest used the f word one day, I admonished her with youā€™ve never heard me swear in front of you so have the same manners, it worked .

2 Likes

My experience of middle class social interaction is limited to what Iā€™ve seen in TV drama, where the effing at dinner party scenario always sounds done for effect, as if it makes the user sound like a man-of-the-world. Working class swearing, on the other hand, always sounds more natural to my ear; it often just seems like an organic part of natural speech. That could well be because I am working class, and almost all of my interactions are with other members of it, and I find I donā€™t even notice the swear words most of the time, even though many conversations are absolutely peppered with them. Yet in an inapropriate situation, the effings stand out like sore thumbs, no matter how used one is to hearing them.

An old work colleague of mine many years ago told how she heard her teenage son using the F word at home - if I remember correctly, he was on the phone to a friend when he used the word. She told him ā€œdonā€™t you ever, ever let me hear you use that sort of language again!ā€ He replied, ā€œdonā€™t worry, mum, Iā€™ll make sure you donā€™t hear me in future.ā€ :lol: :lol: :lol:

An endearment, I expect, not dissimilar to WW2 army officers, gang culture.

1 Like

Most swear words seem to be derived from the names of either sexual organs or sexual activities. I donā€™t know the reasons for that, but when such words are used in swearing, I donā€™t think it is very often with reference to their origins. So when you hear that most offensive of words uttered, I am sure it isnā€™t usually meant as a slur on any ladyā€™s ā€œmost intimate partsā€.