Assisted suicide ! The right/to Die

That must be one of those strange laws in the UK, I don’t know about other states but in NSW suicide is not illegal however it is an offence to aid or abet another person’s suicide or attempted suicide.

Making suicide illegal makes no sense whatsoever, if a person succeeds who are you going to prosecute? if they don’t succeed then no offence has been committed. Daft.

Voluntary Assisted Dying is not the same as suicide

1 Like

Suicide in the Uk is legal. The law was repealed under section 2 Suicide Act 1961 it remains a criminal offence for a third party to assist or encourage another to commit suicide.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-parliament-2015/social-change/debating-assisted-suicide/

1 Like

Thanks Graham, I always thought it was illegal… :+1:

I could shoot myself for not knowing that… :flushed:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well expressed M. Very brave.
It must have been a difficult one to publicly share.
One of the reasons that its less stressful for Kith and Kin. If.
DNR.[Do not Resuscitate] Is pre declared and registered with, such as the GP Practice.
Re The OT. Generally.
Be sure to check the implications of Suicide. In any form.
That may impinge on any Insurances, the deceased may have subscribed to.
Some Baulk and Convolute validity.

1 Like

Very brave to share such a personal experience with the anonymous group which “we” are!

The question (take your husband home) at that point must have been too difficult to answer properly. There are yes’ and no’s, pro and contra.
At the end it will not have changed your husbands fate, independent of the decision to take him home.
Asking for assistance might have been a good idea from my experience.

My mother suffered from terminal cancer at the oesophagus. I was 24 then. She told her doctor that she did not want to suffocate and that something should be done. The doctor told me and my brother that we should let him know when “the time” came and he would “do something”.

The time came, I told him and he gave my mother a substance. Seconds later she had passed away. I was so grateful to the doctor for having given “us” the chance to do it this way. Believe me, it was my decision and I still suffer from it, more than thirty years later. Anyway it was the right decision.

From what you wrote you were alone at that time and had to go through that difficult process without help. That must have been a very very difficult time for you and maybe for your husband as well. One can only hope that your husband realized that you were around and caring for him.
I wished nobody had to go throught that…
:cry:

2 Likes

I dont agree with that. I dont think VAD should be a ‘free for all’ - it should be subject to checks and controls and I agree with the criteria we have here.

1 Like

Very good :+1:

“External Assistance. And its Implications”.
There’s Nothing more ‘Personal’ Than how we choose to leave this mortal coil.
IMO.With the Least impact on Family. Who know you best. Without highlighting harrowing implications to dwell on
“Ones Decision”.
The Least or No discussion emanating. Or reveled to those professionally involved with Health Care. They have. DNR. Recorded.
That should satisfy any Medical Personnel & Coroner. In the event of unavoidable hospitalisation.
We live our lives Privately, in the place best known. With Self Belief/Care and Actions taken. No change, when Demise with Dignity eminent.

1 Like

MP’s do not appear too keen debating this.

[Quote]
Dame Esther said that she had seen her husband, her mother and her dog die and that it was her dog’s death which she “envied”.

“Isn’t it typically British that we give the pets we love a pain-free, dignified, private death but we can’t offer it to the people we love.”

Speaking to the same programme, past president of the Association for Palliative Medicine Amy Profitt said people on both sides of the debate came from “a position of compassion - we all want to relieve suffering”.

She expressed concern about the proposal being debated saying that as a doctor she was not trained in law and could not “determine coercion”.

She said there could be another model which would involve lawyers and psychiatrists, adding: “If we are going to legalise the system, it can’t be in the NHS. It is deeply dangerous in health care and could be seen as cost-saving for the government.”

The petition being debated in Parliament urges the government to give MPs a vote on the subject and argues that “terminally ill people who are mentally sound and near the end of their lives should not suffer unbearably against their will”.

[Unquote]

Who wants to play God is the question…

1 Like

Not if you are an atheist. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

and it istn really the question anyway - it is the dying persons choice, nobody else’s

3 Likes

As long as it stays that way July. I can imagine that an old frail person might be intimidated into relieving the burden on their families.

My dearest friend J has had life changing illness since January and her body has aged years , her quality of life not enjoyable now . When she went into hospital she talked to me about her end of life wishes written down and did not want cpr if her heart stopped , we talked a lot .she asked her sons to collect her papers from home etc etc . J had a large bruise on her chest when i visited a few days later , we all waited for her to pass away , even her sons sat with her 3 days . I saw the bruise and asked what it was and she said " they bumped my chest it seems " . According to her they brought her back , it seems the sons didnt show the end of life wishes to the doctors . I dont know the sons so unable to ask but that is what they told their mum .

Its heart breaking to see her now :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I feel sorry for your dear friend and you also. :disappointed_relieved:
Her fate and condition are another good example for the claim that it must be a persons own right do decide on ending her life.

1 Like

Yes that is why we have checks and controls and tight criteria.

it isnt a reason to not have option there at all.

2 Likes

Off the record July…I think it already happens, I have witnessed it… :shushing_face:

You have witnessed what exactly?

and where?

VAD is not yet legal in UK - which your profile shows is where you live.

1 Like

I did say it was off the record July. I’m not saying it’s legal, but it happens. I’m not prepared to post details of how I know on the internet. :009: