Are you at risk from being flooded due to heavy rain?

I saw this video yesterday, and it demonstrates how difficult it is for water to soak into the ground after a heatwave like the one just experienced. Now that the rain seems to be upon us, I just wondered if anyone lived in areas prone to flooding?

Manchester’s notorious history of rain has led to it being largely safe from floods, although we do have the occasional but rare event in which the Mersey has its floodplains around didsbury/northernden used.

1 Like

For the last hours the lovely rain is falling but its gentle so I hope the ground can absorb it more slowly. My area is safe from flooding but I’m expecting the news to start giving us some different stories

2 Likes

Oh the news will ramp up its scaremongering and bringing up disaster stories from the past, Susan…I hope it doesn’t come to anything for anyone though. :+1:

4 Likes

Think the last time we had an adverse weather flood up here, Boris actually bothered to come and look. Doubt he’ll ever get further north than Watford for the rest of his life.

Clay soil, we are as ready as we can be.

it runs like a river dow run down my Road but the Drains cope well and its all taken away .

I remember a couple of years back the field being built on one road up from me ,the builders filled the
dyke up with surplus soil , so the rain had no where to go but run into a few peoples yards houses and down the road and back up mine , missed us though thankfully .Felt sorry for the people whose houses flooded. The Builders got a ticking off from Residents and local Council as it was preventable .

I think anyone thinking of moving should look on local Gov sites for flood risk before buying ,I know I will .

1 Like

That’s a shocking story, Eliza…did the homeowners get any compensation for their loss - not sure if insurance would have covered that?

I agree that potential flood risks should be checked out before buying a house, because again, going back to insurance, many properties won’t be covered now if it’s a known flood area.

I live on a hill, but at the back of me there are hills too. Not sure how the water (or even snow) falls from there yet, but currently there doesn’t seem to be a problem despite the rain we have had.

The end of the garden usually gets a bit boggy but not near the house as luckily the road is on a slight incline. I sympathise with those who live on flood plains. One extreme to another.

1 Like

I dont think my home is very much at risk because the fields around it are green & the land doesn’t seem to be bone dry. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that nobody on here gets flooded. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sounds like dangerous last words tempting fate Twink. Think you should nip to Decathlon and get yourself an inflatable canoe and snorkel, and shift anything of value upstairs or onto the roof.

1 Like

Don’t worry, The M6 , which is at the bottom of the fields will flood first…that is assuming water always finds its own level ! :smiley:

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles Their insurance covered it , but I expect the insurance claimed off the builders insurance .It pays to have Insurance , not something to skip on no matter how hard up you are .

1 Like

Ah, that historic riverbed. I remember it well.

Not much risk here, we only had 3 spots last night, and none at all today so far. :grinning:

1 Like

Mups they were suggesting on the news that places who had no rain & where the ground became too hard, heavy rain would not be able to soak into the ground , so just run off to somewhere else. This could cause flooding from places like river beds, because it would all come too quickly!
It is scary!

2 Likes

This is what concerns me too…if the water can’t soak into the ground, it will run anywhere it can.

No rain for 8wks , never floods this end of the beach , however further along the seafront massive coastal defence going on .

1 Like

We are quite close to the Thames. Could get flooded only if the Thames Barrier breaks.

Yes I know, Twink. They were saying it all last week on the weather programmes.

However, last night it rained all night long, it was a joy to smell, see, and hear.
My water butts have overflowed, and the air smells so much better, and there are no floods at all - well not in the streets, anyway, I don’t know yet if any of the fields have flooded yet.

Did you get much rain?