Are you a wine aficionado?

In the Summer, I usually prefer white wine - Chardonnay, Pinot, Soave, or our local Falanghina, well-chilled from the fridge.
There’s nothing like a good red wine though. I’d choose a Cabernet, Merlot, Barbera. A Barolo if I wanna be left with “empty pockets” :grin:

1 Like

I’d never heard of falanghina, so I had to look it up. That certainly looks like an interesting grape and wine. Is it sharp like a soave or more fruity?
It’s mid-summer so my early evening tipple tends to be rose. Round me, there’s lots of local production of rose and, luckily for me, a couple of excellent dry and very, very pale rose wines.

2 Likes

Never thought I’d be, but it’s amazing how much difference there is in taste now I’ve been drinking red wine for a while :lol:

Also may be of interest:

2 Likes

A good Barolo or Primitivo takes a bit of bearish

2 Likes

Yes, Falanghina is more fruity and has a more intense aroma.Goes well with light Summer pasta dishes, fish and white meats, just like other white wines.

2 Likes

Bearish? Meaning?

I’ve been away too long, not up-to-date with English conversational language/colloquialisms :smile:

Yes, with red wine, you can really taste the difference between a lousy, cheap one and a good wine, whereas with white wines, not so much.

2 Likes

With white wines not so much?
Are you sure? Locally we can get really cheap but really quite sharp white wines. Often using colombard grape or the local ugni blanc grape. Not to my taste. However good local producers make excellent blends that are very drinkable for between 6 - 10 euro a bottle. And one or two make drinkable single variety wines (sauvignon or chardonnay usually) for about the same price. A few weeks ago I shared a magnum of one these blends, cost 24 euros, and it was very, very good. Notably different and better from even the good 10 euro bottles.
Yesterday in a restaurant, I had a Graves white wine (semillion I think) that was significantly better than most local wines. Very well balanced fruit / acid taste. And a little more pricey. Back when working and when I’d money (or an expense budget) I used to enjoy very good white burgundy wines. Lightly oaked chardonnay. Incredibly delicious. But at restaurant prices of 70 to 100 euros they bleeding well should have been.
So I do think, when comparing good to very good white wines, you can still tell the difference/

2 Likes

Well, at those prices yes, I’m sure we can, or at least, we should do, otherwise I’d want my money back!
Seems a bit over the top, 100 euros, these are obviously from the “luxury” category, for a special occasion.

1 Like

Luxury / special occasion … or quite normal business dinner in London. I remember way back in 2001 doing a piece of work with a finance data firm. They sold into the banks, the hedge funds, etc. One day a sales manager was a bit annoyed as he had specifically told his sales guys to rein in the client entertainment a bit. One sales guy had just posted a huge expense claim for dinner with a few clients. Not one bottle of wine under £200. Sales guy just mentioned the name of the very big bank and said “hey, they’re a big client and that was what they asked for.”

2 Likes

Fraid i,m not in this class, i can,t afford a crust of bread

2 Likes

I don’t drink alcohol, but I did take a wine tasting class when I was younger. It was the only time I drank besides a glass of wine at a wedding. The class was interesting. It was good to know what people are talking about when they’re talking about wine.

1 Like

I’ve also found I really can’t stand screw-tops, I think out of all I have tried only one has been acceptable…

1 Like

I agree mart, anything less than 13% and your paying through the nose for pop.

1 Like