Are you a wine aficionado?

Wine tasters sniff, swirl and sip those glasses of wine in a performance that is meant to tell us, the Hoi Polloi, that they know their Grapes.
168 “Wine Experts” were given 3 Wines to sample and to give their interpretation.
Of the 3 wines, one was a White which had been coloured with food colouring.
All the Wine tasters got the coloured wine wrong. Naming it from Rose^ indicative grapes.

If you can’t sleep I would recommend Merlot.

2 Likes

Nope, Don’t drink, I cut my teeth on Carlsberg Specials when I was 17/18 and learned the hard way. Gave it up. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

If ya wanna sleep, I recommend

2 Likes

No. I don’t drink. I’m completely sober in all moments.

1 Like

From my hands you know you’ll never be
More than twist in my sobriety
More than twist in my sobriety
More than twist in my sobriety :notes:

I cant tell white from red

2 Likes

I like what i like regardless of what the so called aficionados say.
It`s all bull s…t imo.

2 Likes

If you saw the wine rack, you would say yes, but other than knowing the types, I don’t like it enough to be much of an expert. I keep bottles around for company, but why have wine when you can have a tall glass of iced tea with lemon?

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve a bit of knowledge of French wine. I used to drink more new world wine but increasingly found a bit all the same - unless you spent a good bit more. A recent trip to rioja region surprised me at how high the prices were. Decent aged rioja (reserva) typically was 13-14 euros but quite a few went soaring up to 50-60 euros. Lovely wines though even if you keep to the lower prices and younger wines.
It is fair to say I like wine and I do not share the view that its all hype and fancy descriptions. You can easily tell the difference between a quality wine and a poor wine - even just smelling it. And some wine only really works when drunk with food. And not all wine works with the same food.
However, I’m equally happy just ordering a carafe of the house wine when eating out.

1 Like

I limit myself to one glass of red before dinner, water with dinner, no other booze ever. I buy it by the case from a bloke who brings a van load of reds over from Portugal. And I drink it like a farmer in a Tasca, in a tumbler. Some folk seem to think those ridiculous oversized glasses on a stem are mandatory. Pah! I watch Netflix series from all over and always those silly glasses for a quiet glass at home. Not in the real world.

1 Like

Made a heady snakebite when mixed with Merrydown cider as I vaguely remember…

1 Like

Double good choice. Portuguese wine is excellent and tumblers for reds works well and gets more air into the wine than a narrow stemmed glass. Stems work best for chilled white wines - you hold the stem … makes sense unless you drink quite quickly when frankly it makes no different at all.

1 Like

How very irresponsible!
For insomnia I’d heartily recommend a very large glass of of Malbec accompanied by an episode of Midsomer Murders…

2 Likes

The wines we get are always red and what’s called house wine. Cheap but not the cheapest, young: this years or last. The sort of thing that doesn’t need to breathe. I’m absolutely fine with that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am not a fan of sweet wine or dry wine. When ever the miss has a glass of wine, I normally finish the bottle. Not wanting it to go bad and all.:wink:

1 Like

@Bretrick No I’m not, but I do know what I like. :point_right: A good round Barollo with my beef and a fresh crisp Frascati with my fish. . :+1::clap:

2 Likes

The nearest I have ever got to being a “wine aficionado” was a two week walking tour in the Bordeaux region of France. We took a day off from walking to attend a wine tasting school in St Emilion- a lot of that involved using your sense of smell rather than taste - it didn’t involve swigging copious amounts of wine - more’s the pity! :rofl:

The rest of our walking trip did involve stopping off at different vineyards along our walking route and sampling their fine wines.
It was all very enjoyable (apart from the food - if you are a vegetarian, I would not recommend the food in the Bordeaux region of France! :confounded:)

I must confess that French wines are not my favourite - I like Champagne but mostly I prefer a dry Italian Prosecco, a New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, a soft Spanish Red, a Portugese Vinho Verde or a slightly frizzante Italian white.
Not that I drink much, of course!
Cheers! :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

I’ve heard people in France offering chicken to vegetarians as its not much of an animal. Or noting bits of ham in a quiche or omelette and claiming they don’t count as they just a few bits. And the notion is being vegan is not understood, so you often get cheese in a vegan pizza.
I would note that 90% of the Bordeaux region is fairly average, volume produced wine. The good stuff in the dedicated posh wine regions is excellent but there the tasting tends to be by appointment, or even invitation only. Fronsac is one of my favourites.

1 Like

I’m not a wine drinker but if people are coming here for a meal, I often go by the alcohol volume written on the bottle. I noticed over the years that the wine drinkers might say what a good wine it is if it’s above 12%. I’m sure there must be good wines below that but I look out for ones at around 13.5% and that seems to be thought a good one.

1 Like