Are you a bit of a rebel? Do you get involved with protests?

Saw this and thought of you lot :lol:

I used to go on CND marches but only to fraternize with young women really.

3 Likes

Not any more Azz, these days I’m far more preoccupied with the more immediate things around me, day to day life!
I used to go on CND marches with my buddies back in London but that was largely an excuse to down a few cans of strong lager and indulge in loud behaviour en route to Trafalgar Square. The march used to conclude with live bands.

I remember that particular performance, I’m there somewhere right at the front by the barrier, being loud no doubt!

5 Likes

The closest I have ever come to being a rebel is saying no to my wife and that has only happened twice in the last 62 years. The bruises soon faded.

4 Likes

Yes the Poll Tax marches of the 90s.
Previously a tax called Rates were paid on house values .
The poll tax was a head tax …
Where a rich couple living in a mansion would pay virtually nothing when compared to a young, struggling family living in rented accommodation.

3 Likes

I’ve sat in the pub for hours putting the world to rights.

6 Likes

At least it got rid of Thatcher. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes of course, whilst wrongs need righting we must fight on.
All that evil needs to exist is for good men (and women!) to do nothing.
So our generation must continue to protest and I am heartened to see so many old people on the marches for Palestine, even in wheelchairs.
And Tariq Ali is still there aged 80.

4 Likes

Being a rebel takes a lot of energy and anger, so i’m in favour if i think it will make a difference - like the poll tax demonstrations (as ripple mentioned earlier) which led to the tax being abolished.

People who ‘rebel’ about anything and everything, for the sake of, or want the world to see how naughty they are, and isn’t it all a ‘hoot’, are a bit one-dimensional in my opinion.

4 Likes

I prefer a nice open stretch of moor where I can relax and let my mind go where it will, and put all the anger and aggro behind me. Life is too short to waste it…
:sunglasses:

9 Likes

Absolutely OldGreyFox.
The closest i get to anything like that is when i have a get together with a friend over lunch,and we put the world to right.

3 Likes

and now I’m not young enough to know everything.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Somtimes,OGF I think you are a very wise man.

2 Likes

Steady on Mr Smith… :grin:

2 Likes

yes but too late…she sold off the UK INDUSTRIES’ …Made out the UK Was now Wealthy and encouraged everyone to spend spend spend…
Always been a Rebel for Worthwhile causes…

3 Likes

Yes she did…On British products, but we decided to ignore her and save a few bob buying cheap stuff from China etc, and all our manufacturing and jobs and wealth went down the pan.

2 Likes

While I do believe some protest movements have resulted in positive change, I tend to think the best course of action is to go out and DO something to exact change you want. More on that tomorrow.

Start wrecking things, blocking traffic, threatening people, hurting people, and defacing property, and you lose my attention and patience.

6 Likes

And that, my dear friend, is the secret to the universe.

3 Likes

Surfermom.

‘Be the change you want’

Ghandi

3 Likes