Are the Conservatives keeping their election promises?

Amid the upheaval created by Covid-19, is the party on track to fulfil the manifesto commitments it made in 2019?

‘Delivering 50,000 more nurses and 6,000 more doctors’

The Conservatives promised this for England by March 2025.

The latest figures show there were 310,251 full-time equivalent NHS nurses and health visitors in June 2021. While that is up 14,158 since December 2019, it still leaves 35,842 full-time equivalent posts to fill over the next three-and-a-half years.

Not yet broken.

On GPs, there were 34,354 full-time equivalents in post in July 2021. That’s only up by 108 since December 2019. And if you exclude trainees and locums (doctors who temporarily fill a rota gap or who are not yet fully qualified), GP numbers have actually fallen by 255 since December 2019.

By either measure, an increase of 6,000 is a long way off.

Broken

‘20,000 more police’

The Conservatives promised this for England and Wales by March 2023. The latest figures, up to 30 June 2021, show an extra 9,814 police officers recruited. This is compared with 31 March 2019, the baseline the Home Office uses to track the 20,000 target.

With fewer than two years until the deadline, it appears the government is on course to reach this target.

But critics continue to point to the fact this does not compensate for the 20,545 officer reduction between March 2010 and March 2019 - under Conservative governments.

Kept

‘Get Brexit done’

This promise was certainly achieved in a literal sense, as the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020. Britain departed from the EU’s single market and customs union 11 months later, after agreeing a basic free trade deal with its neighbours. But if the slogan implied Brexit would be done and dusted, this has clearly not happened. A huge amount remains unresolved.

Disputes about Northern Ireland and fishing rights continue to fester. From food exporters to musicians who want to tour Europe, many people are still struggling to deal with new bureaucracy. And severe labour shortages in a number of industries have roots in the decision to cut ties with the EU. A large number of trade deals have been signed around the world to replace the ones the UK had in Europe, but the promise of a quick deal with the United States hasn’t happened.

Supporters of Brexit say sovereignty has been restored, and unwanted regulations can now be cut. But taking back control is still a work in progress.

Broken

‘An Australian-style points-based system to control immigration’

EU citizens wishing to live and work in the UK now have to apply via a points-based system (PBS), the same as citizens from the rest of the world. A visa is awarded if an applicant qualifies for a certain number of points. Having a job offer from an approved employer for a skilled job and being able to speak English provides 50 points, for example. Before Brexit, these reforms were not possible because the UK was part of the EU single market, which gives citizens the freedom to live and work in all EU countries.

The process has not been all plain sailing. Leaving the EU single market is one of the factors that has contributed to the HGV driver shortage, because EU drivers can no longer come and go as they please. The government has had to introduce 5,000 temporary visas for this sector.

But the PBS is in place, as promised.

Kept

‘We will keep the triple lock’

On 7 September the government announced it was suspending the triple lock for a year. Instead of rising with average wages - the highest of the three measures - the government said pensions would rise by either inflation or 2.5% instead.

At the start of pandemic, many people were placed on furlough, which meant they were earning less. Now, as people come off it and return to full pay, this has been recorded as a large rise in average earnings - up 8.3% between May and July compared with a year ago, according to the Office for National Statistics. Under the triple lock, this would have meant a big rise in the state pension.

Broken

‘We will proudly maintain our commitment to spend 0.7% of GNI on development’

The UK’s annual aid budget has been reduced to 0.5% of GNI (gross national income) - a cut of about four billion pounds. Again, the government blamed the pandemic - saying it had inflicted “immense” damage on the economy and cutting aid spending would help restore the public finances.

Broken

‘We promise not to raise the rates of income tax, National Insurance or VAT’

NI is a tax paid by workers on their earnings and on the profits of self-employed workers. Employers also pay extra NI contributions for staff. In September, the government announced that these groups will pay 1.25p more NI in the pound from April 2022.

From April 2023, NI will return to its current rate, but the extra tax will stay as a new Health and Social Care Levy.

Broken

‘We will lead the global fight against climate change by delivering on our world-leading target of net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050’

Net zero is the point at which the country is taking as many climate-changing gases out of the atmosphere as it is putting into it.

The government has already taken some action, like continuing the move away from the use of coal and towards renewable energy. The sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned from 2030. It has also set a target of reducing emissions (from 1990 levels) by 78% by 2035.

The independent Climate Change Committee welcomed the pledges but questioned their delivery. It says the government has “credible policies” in place to deliver only about a fifth of this cut.

Not yet kept or broken.

Of course, the arrival of a pandemic complicated matters, as did BJ’s shambolic and deadly response to that pandemic … :scream_cat:

1 Like

It’s boris…he lies,

1 Like

If I remember correctly, Rishi said in his speech that this was a temporary measure so, I would say NOT YET BROKEN.

This again is a temporary measure, but I ask you how can this country of ours afford to keep throwing aid money at countries that can afford space and nuclear bomb programmes, refuse to help themselves, have leaders that pocket most of the cash? We’ve been borrowing money for the last several years to support the 0.7% GDP target so, I think it’s about time the aid budget WAS cut and cut permanently.

2 Likes

Hi

They cannot, no Political Party could.

We have Covid, a complete Game Changer.

3 Likes

I did not know this about the UK. You Really do expect politicians to keep promises. I gave up on that idea when the elections went from being dignified to being reality shows(bad ones).

3 Likes

They are not real promises although that’s what the Media like the BBC would have you believe. Manifestos are just statements of what the parties hope to achieve it they are elected to government. The parties cannot know whether they will have the means to follow through until they see the books. Anyone who thinks they are promises must extremely foolish.

1 Like

The lies on Boris’ Battle bus “We send the EU £350 million a week - let’s fund our NHS instead” - was SO obvious I don’t know how anyone voted for him! He just cannot recognise truth from lie…and besides that, the common people don’t matter enough for him to bother with the truth! We need to get rid of him soonest!

At least, deja Vu was ended, for a while. :biking_man:

I think the Tories have given the NHS far, far more than that £350million/week in extra funds since then Lindyloo.

1 Like

So why are the NHS having such a hard time? Why didn’t we have enough PPE? Why are waiting lists so long? The Tories came close to privatising the NHS pre-Covid - I don’t see any reinstatement. The Nightingale hospitals were fully functional - are they ready to use again?

Our Louisa Jordan hospital isn’t being used as anything as far as I know. It was last used on 31 March this year, before being turned into a vaccination clinic. The last vaccination clinic was in July this year. So nice to know its sitting there ready for…whenever, eh? :roll_eyes:

I think our Nightingale Hospitals were stripped of equipment (I wonder who’s profited from that!!) and are being used for something else…though it would be good to be proved wrong on that!
I don’t know how Scotland has been getting on with vaccinations - but we seem to have gone from top of the heap to bottom! We should have vaccinated the children far far earlier…AND found a way of persuading the anti-vaxxers to be jabbed…Vaccination Passports for entry into pubs, restaurants, every indoor function!

1 Like

Oh we have the vaccination passports, much to the disgust of the younger people. It applies to all mass gatherings over x thousand people. I think we are on track with vaccinations but a few ( hundred thousand) are still dragging their feet. A surge in schoolkids getting the virus has resulted in many schools struggling to keep classes ongoing. Its a nightmare across the board, frankly.

I have had to get a vaccination passport although not needed in England. Going to Cardiff in November to see the Offspring, passports are required in Wales for those type of events. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good for you! :+1: I’m not against the passport idea, although it’ll be an entire month on Sundays before I’m ever in need of one for going to “an event”. I can’t even go up the high street on a saturday afternoon! :joy:

1 Like

I think vaccination passports are a good incentive for getting non-deciders to get vaccinated. It cannot surely be left to people’s so-called “good nature” to vaccinate, wear a mask etc etc to protect others - because those people really, really, don’t care about anyone other than themselves.

There is nowt like a crisis to negate election promises.

The problem with the conservatives is that they are not a conservative party any more.

Is it time for “New” Conservatives?

It’s time for a deep and radical rethink about the way our group of four nations are run, because there is something radically wrong with the way everything is now!

1 Like