Apparently, it's the next big thing. What is the metaverse?

Instead of being on a computer, in the metaverse you might use a headset to enter a virtual world connecting all sorts of digital environments.

Unlike current VR, which is mostly used for gaming, this virtual world could be used for practically anything - work, play, concerts, cinema trips - or just hanging out.

Most people envision that you would have a 3D avatar - a representation of yourself - as you use it.

But because it’s still just an idea, there’s no single agreed definition of the metaverse.

• Nope, not for me…real life is enough, without taking part in another one! :joy:

Blimey…we won’t be ourselves anymore just a pretend being in an alternate life.

1 Like

Exactly! Nothing will be real anymore :cry: Going from looking at a screen, to being inside one…scary, eh…

I’m busy deciding who I’ll be…I might be a rock chic you know the dont mess with me type who rides a motorbike…no helmet though and my hair always looks perfect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you would be great at that! :+1:

I haven’t thought about it… I don’t suppose you can have Pixie’s in a boardroom meeting, could you?.. :joy: :fairy:

I dont see why not

Power to the Pixies!!!

I think it’s still quite a ways out. They’ve been talking about this for decades.

In another 10-15 years, the world will look very differently. I have been hoping for a more realistic version of VR for years now. It never quite gets there.

I was thinking that the game Second Life would become more advanced, but it seemed to stall and sort of go backwards in the connection to the real world.

I was also hoping that games that would help solve the world’s problems would become more widespread. Despite good intentions and a good start, that hasn’t happened either.

Can a person only enter the Metaverse if they have been double jabbed, and had a Booster. :thinking: :grinning: :heavy_check_mark: :biking_man:

1 Like

Yes…I’m making a Pixie Passport as we speak! :joy:

Haha. Only if it’s a booster for computer viruses.

The beauty of the metaverse is that the other stuff won’t matter.

Ooh I fancy being Bathsheba for real. Oh wait! It’s not real, is it, not really real? :thinking:

Described as ‘beautiful but capricious’, with a queue of suitors. Sounds good to me!

4 Likes

I’m SO glad I do not use so called ‘social’ media :+1:

1 Like

I think it sounds rather good :+1: Great for when we’re too decrepit to go out! :rofl:

2 Likes

Something like some in this universe believe in already
– no consequences for anything whatsoever?
:thinking: :grinning:

2 Likes

Erm… you do. You’re on here :wink:

1 Like

I do not class a moderated forum as social media.

There’s always consequences where humans are involved, if only the consequence of being thrown out of the metaverse. Just different consequences for different actions than in meat space.

Wikipedia disagrees with that view, as do many others.

Forums are an element of social media technologies which take on many different forms including blogs, business networks, enterprise social networks, forums, microblogs, photo sharing, products/services review, social bookmarking, social gaming, social networks, video sharing and virtual worlds

Still confused. Most sites people consider social media like Facebook, twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc. are all moderated. Unmoderated forums are very rare.

Seeing the post above, maybe the emphasis was on forum and not the moderated part.

Yep, but on a Forum, you don’t have to wear a headset, not unless you want to of course. :grinning: