Anything to do with wild birds

05:15, foodstuffs ready to go out.
I have noticed that as well as the pigeons waiting for me to sprinkle seeds on the grass I now have a couple of jackdaws perched near my shed waiting for the filled half cocunuts to go up, they used to last a day or so but since they and others have learnt that by pulling the coconuts on to the shed roof that it is very easy to get at the grub I am lucky if they last a few hours.

There all at it with the half coconuts. :smiley:

2022-05-04 15.18.05.jpg

2022-05-04 15.18.13.jpg

Big one does the hard work, not sure of the type, then in comes the magpie followed by a jackdaw

DSCN0557.JPG

DSCN0558.JPG

DSCN0559.JPG

The increase in the Parakeet population in the more rural areas down south has become much more noticeable this year. They fly over and often settle in the trees in my garden and even land on the power cables that run across the common. They look beautiful in flight with their long tail feathers but the loud squawking racket they make is far louder than most other birds.

This morning when I went to feed the bird I found a little white egg on the grass. Looking at charts I think it is from a collared dove, which are quite common here. There was no nest above it, so I have just left it where I found it.

Soon to become a tasty meal for a magpie or crow or other regrettably.

I saw these two in the hedge this morning, getting busy with home making and snacks :smiley:

3 Likes

Aaww, that’s a lovely piccy, Pixie. :smiley:

One of the parks I walk in has a pond and there have been herons there for years, but last week I saw what looked like a white heron. I looked it up and I think it must have been an egret. Couldn’t get a decent photo of it though. Years ago I was lucky enough to see a kingfisher there.

I just love watching a couple of Red Kites soaring high above the open fields close to my house. Easily identified by their V shaped tail feathers and huge wing span.

Early on back at the start of May on our morning Alf walks every morning we observed a Greater spotted woodpecker drilling on a telegraph pole in some fields, he’d been doing this to a couple of them, this morning saw both birds going into one of them with what one would surmise to be feed for chicks.

1 Like

That sounds exciting, caricature…I do like woodpeckers. :bird:

1 Like

Further on into the walk a good two mile away another pair had nested in another pole, saw them mating . That nest is now hard to observe hidden behind foliage of tree’s.

1 Like

Wow, you are lucky to have so many close to where you walk. Is the first nest you spoke of, in the telegraph pole…is that going to stay visible to see any babies, d’you think?

This is what remains of a lesser spotted childrens den.

1 Like

Haha! That gave me a chuckle :joy:

Yes that one is more out in the open but close to a hedgerow for them to fledge into, suspect we’;
ll have to be up super early to see that, but we saw a parent bird around this morning.

1 Like

My flock of rooks and jackdaws comes every day I thought they had forgotton me me no they swoop down every morning and gobble everything up in five minutes .
I try and sneak out and put the food in sereptitiously but they aways spy me and come in by the squadron .Trouble is they eat everything and leave nothing for the other birds I would like to see some variety .They are clever and one attacks the bird feeder so it spills out the seed to the others who wait below.
They also damaged the shed roof which they use as a landing strip so Mr M had to go out and buy roofing felt and climb about fixing it .
The good thing is they make a lot of noise and annoy my neighbour :slight_smile:

The tagged cuckoos and no doubt untagged ones are on their way south again.

A wildish goose in Kensington Gardens.

2 Likes