Anyone interested in Bonsai trees?

Air layering is a method of propagation. I’d say the leaf drop is from overwatering or being in a draft

Thank you.

I don’t think we’re bothered about propagation right now, but I’ve told Marge (who’s grateful for your advice) and we’re going to check carefully that we’re not overwatering.
It’s definitely not in a draughty area.

I have a friend who is a committee member of the local Bonsai club. I enjoy his reaction when I tell him I can hear the plants screaming as he stunts their growth, cuts their roots and forces them to live in containers too small for plant habitation.

Lol the point of pruning is so they fit in those containers

Airlayered my 8ft beech tree and stupidly cut off a branch I was going to develop to make the top of the new tree… oh well will have to see what grows back

I haven’t tried bonsai myself but on my trip to Japan I went to a garden market in Hiroshima where they sold bonsai plants among other things. This neat little arrangement was for sale at 120 pounds.

That’s not bad, actually. I paid £30 for a single plant for Marge’s birthday last year.

Bonsai is cruelty to trees .

That’s very nice

:-d:-d:-d:-d

Uploaded a few of my trees in foliage for anyone interested. They’re in my profile album

After a little downsizing and house moving this is the only tree I’ve kept as it is ok indoors as there’s no garden in flats

1 Like

Bit dull today but usually gets plenty of light

1 Like

Oh there you are!! I have been looking for this bonsai thread because I rescued a Japanese Elm recently, and wanted to post a picture. I have since bought more seeds and am scarifying them

bonsai1a
bonsai2a

1 Like

I’d say it was a Chinese elm . Just feed it once a month with good plant food and water it daily Don’t! but leave it standing in water

1 Like

Oh really? Ok…well I’m giving it Baby Bio & water occasionally, and watering it often. Its poor leaves were all yellow and falling off when I first got it. Now it’s sprouting new ones which is lovely to see. I didn’t know about leaving it to stand in water though - for how long should I do that?

Sorry @PixieKnuckles had to edit that … don’t leave it in standing water you’ll give it root rot

1 Like

Haha! ok, I’ve turned the bath off now! :joy: I’m reading up on things like wiring, and repotting, but I don’t intend doing that for a good long while yet - I’ve only had it a month!

The yellow leaves are most likely overwatering and leaving in standing water . I take it that tray underneath is one of those fixed in place ones?

No, I can remove the tray. The actual pot the tree stands in, has a one hole in the bottom of it. Should I take the tray away when I water it? Should the water run out from the hole?