Anyone interested in Bonsai trees?

Anyone into the hobby?

1 Like

I like to see Bonsai ‘gardens’ but would not know where to start to create my own. Do you do it, Jaded? Is it easy to learn?

It’s easy enough if you know how to care for pot plants . There is more to it than that but it’s the basic idea lol

I have a lot of plants, and prune the leaves so they get a lot fuller. Haven’t tried Bonsai though. Not sure I would have the patience…the trees still take their own time to grow don’t they?

Yes the trees take some time to grow but there are starter trees available. All mine are outdoor ones so when winter comes around there’s not much to do

Any photos to share with us?

My family tree is Bonsai. :smiley:

I can’t upload from here as it’s asking for links I’ll try and sort some

:-d:-d:-d

Last year I bought Marge a bonsai tree from a reputable dealer.
It was well established with plenty of leaves over the summer, but towards winter they began to disappear. Then they started to grow again for a few weeks, then dropped off again. Just recently, they have begun to reappear.

It has been maintained properly, so can I assume that this sort of thing is normal?

What species is the tree you bought JBR ?

I’m rooting for you :mini:

you just need to watch the Karate Kid movie.

Lol that’s funny

Or watch how to on YouTube lol

I love growing all sorts of plants, but never tried Bonsai. I bet it’s interesting. How many trees do you have?

I keep thinking about starting some Topiary, but haven’t got round to it yet.

Love to see some pictures when you are able to, Jaded.

I’ve about 25 bonsai and a cloud tree ( niwaki)

Wow. That is some collection. :023:
You must be very proud of them.

I believe it’s a Chinese Elm, in a moss ball.
I bought it for Marge’s birthday in September last year.

Hi Jaded :slight_smile: I like Bonsai and once tried with an oak seedling I found in the garden but didn’t get far before it died .

I have a Liquidambar styraciflua that I planted in the lawn about 15 years ago not realising they grow to 12 meters :shock:
Every year I prune it right back and keep the hight to about 7 feet and the leaves and branches have got progressively smaller although it is not in a container. It is a sort of mini tree thought not really a Bonsai :slight_smile: