Any Trekkies here?

I’ve watched it, it’s before Captain Kirk, right at the start of space travel.

1 Like

Because that’s what we’re like, we have to fight for things.

A few months after I wrote the OP and got Hulu, Viacom pulled all the Star Trek franchises from all other streaming services. It’s only on Paramount+ now. As a reward for finishing a project a couple days ago, I subscribed to Paramount+ for at least a month.

I’m now back to watching Star Trek. This time I’m starting with DS9, my favorite series that I’ve watched so far. I haven’t seen Enterprise, Lower Decks or Picard yet. Now that I have Paramount+, I hope to watch those too.

I’m watching the pilot of DS9. I never understood why Sisko was so mad at Picard at the beginning. Picard surely didn’t destroy his ship on purpose. I also didn’t think the story line that Sisko was threatening to leave Star Fleet but was allowed to stay as commander.

I had forgotten the themes of religion in this. I remembered the moral ambiguiity but not the religious overtones. The capitalism ala Quark amuses me.

Knowing the real life back story adds to the fun of watching it again.

Watching Odo shape shifting from the beginning is fun.

The pilot is a fun re-watch for the umpteenth time.

1 Like

Yes we are, watched most of the series and most of the films. Just watching Picard but not all the episodes are brilliant, but that’s only to be expected with anything.
We got Amazon Prime to watch it.
Think that TNG was the best. They’ve already filmed series 3 of Picard and it will be the last.

Nothing to do with Star Trek but we’ve watched The Expanse and that’s really good.

2 Likes

Thanks. Looks good. I’ll keep it in mind. I was thinking of getting Amazon Prime for some shipping today, but decided to pass. I think I have enough streaming services for the moment and 2 day shipping is not needed for what I was looking at. Maybe The Expanse will migrate over to one of the other streaming services.

Thanks for the review of Picard. I haven’t heard much about it. I like Patrick Stewart as an actor, funnier in the interviews I’ve seen as a person. I like how he met his wife in a restaurant. I’m looking forward to watching Picard.

1 Like

Personally, I found the initial series with Capt. Kirk quite silly and repetitive, to be honest. Each episode seemed to finish with Capt. Kirk getting off with whichever the particular beauty that week happened to be. Rather unbelievable.

The series which I found by far the best was TNG. Capt. Picard was excellent as played by a genuine Shakespearian actor and, in addition, we found some far more exciting storylines in particular when the Borg came along. Q, however, was too far fetched to be believable. Who would believe the point of any storyline which featured a being which was so powerful as to be unassailable?

My next favourite was Voyager. The horrible, whiny voice of Janeway, though, I found quite offputting. On the other hand, Seven of Nine more than made up for that!

1 Like

@butterscotch I’m not sure that any one else will take up The Expanse, Amazon Prime took it up from someone else that dropped it. We don’t have any other streaming channels.

1 Like

What I love about Star Trek. Sisko trying to explain linear time to aliens. Looking at the concept of time from the outside makes me think. Then the consequences of subconsciously living in the past, going over a traumatic event repeatedly.

The baseball analogy was a little hokey. I wish they used another description device, but I got the gist of it.

1 Like

DS9 episode 3 literally had me feeling sad. lol

Kira leaving behind her old ideals of liberating Bajor to instead join with the Federation. The Federation are supposed to be the good guys but I can’t help but think of capitalism and the machinery it seems to represent. She goes against her old friends who are still at the protesting stage. Is she a sellout? That’s something she will struggle with for the rest of the series.

DS9 episode 4

Starts out with the sphere puzzle game that requires a clear mind. It would have been funny if Bashir mastered the game and baffled Dax. But that would be giving away too much too early.

Odo: “The laws change depending on who is making the rules, but justice is justice.”

Spoiler alert

Summary

Moral dilemmas about clones. A criminal cloned himself then killed the clone to frame Odo. He was held responsible for the crime even if he created the clone.

1 Like

Got a notice from Paramount+ about a new Star Trek series called Strange New Worlds. It looks like this is on Amazon as well.

It’s a spin-off of Star Trek: Discovery (haven’t seen this yet) which is based on Christopher Pike, the predecessor to Kirk. That episode in the original series is haunting to me. The juxtaposition of the beautiful and the tragic stuck with me for a long time. The actor who played Christopher Pike was so handsome to me at the time. I wonder how Star Trek might have been different if he took the role of Kirk. Maybe I’ll get to find out when I watch Discovery and then this.

The review I saw of Strange New Worlds looks good.

I’m liking how all the Star Trek timelines come together in this series, based on this review. I’m looking forward to watching it.

2 Likes

Yes we’ve seen a review of it and it looks to be good.
In a episode of Picard it said something in a episode in the series of the enterprise.

1 Like

At least Jeffrey Hunter could act - so it would probably have been even better than it was - shame he died so young - only in his 40s. Shatner had too much ego and not enough talent in my opinion - but I did like the series and some of the films. It certainly has continued to be a money spinner!

1 Like

I am itching to see Strange New Worlds, but it seems it’s only going to be shown on Paramount+ in the UK in June, and I’m not going to pay their subscription just to see it. I’ll wait for the DVD to come out.

2 Likes

Trailer for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

If you can see it, the first full episode looks like it’s on youtube.

1 Like

I subscribe to Netflix, all the Star Trek series are included. My husband thinks it’s hilarious how often I watch them :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I started another Star Trek binge watch last night. I was watching Star Trek: Voyager. Before I knew it, I was on episode 4. The memories came flooding back. I could recite some of the lines before they happened. At other times, I had forgotten the story line. I completely forgot about how Tom Paris started on Voyager. It was such a disconnect from how things played out later. If I was on that ship, I’d be mad at Janeway too. Such an impetuous decision. Of course, no show without that decision, so there’s that.

1 Like

I’m watching DS9 for the second time, i remember a lot of it.

1 Like

I’ll always remember the late Jaquelin Pearce in her role as Alice in The Plague of the Zombies.
One of the most underrated horror films of all times in my opinion. Brooding atmosphere and an awful feeling of foreboding.
A shame that the very end of the film was a bit silly!

Yes, watched the original series in 1966 with William Shatner, then the films which followed. TV series, Next Generation with Picard, Voyager with Janeway, Deep Space Nine with Sisko.

Onto the new films with JJ Abrams and occasionally the new series titled Picard.

Never attended any conventions but have it all on DVDs.

Live long and prosper :vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I’m watching Voyager for the second time, I’ve got them all on DVD but a bit dated because we have a 4k TV now, so i watch them on Pick TV. it’s free.

2 Likes