Any Trekkies here?

Star Trek was my favorite show for many years. I’d watch the series over and over on tv re-runs. In some places, I could recite the lines of the show.

Then I lost access to the show, so I couldn’t watch it for a long time.

On Black Friday, I got a Hulu special that allowed me to watch my beloved Star Trek again.

I started with Star Trek: The Next Generation. I had forgotten much about it. As I watched the first episode, I kept thinking that it aged well. The special effects were well-done even by today’s standards, although maybe not as grand.

The first episode, Far Point, has the debut of the holosuite and Data, both pivotal creations in the lore.

I liked how Data threw a rock at the wall and it shimmered. It made me wonder how the whole thing worked.

I feel a little sad watching Lesley Crusher. His career peaked there in terms of actting. I remember reading his blog years later.

The over-acting in that first episode was cringey but still added to the campiness that is Star Trek.

I’ll probably continue watching. Brings back a lot of memories.

3 Likes

Beam me up Scotty, but into Uhura’s quarters please :wink:

2 Likes

I do not mind Star Trek, but I am a big fan of Babylon 5. And there are a few cross over actors between B5 & ST. Walter Koenig being one, Patricia Tallman played all sorts of roles on various Trek episodes & a psychic on B5. Majel Barrett the wife of Roddenberry was also in B5.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen Babylon 5. I think I started watching that back when Hulu was free. I watched a few episodes and thought I’d get back to it. By that time, Hulu was subscription. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll look it up again.

1 Like

If you have access to IMDb TV then all of B5, including the films are available there & for free.

1 Like

Thanks, but the US and UK versions of IMDb TV are very different. Babylon 5 is not on the US version of IMDb TV. I do have it on my HBO Max though, so it’s all good.

1 Like

I like Star Trek. Don’t like the first series as William Shatner I didn’t rate. But enjoyed all the others, especially Voyager. Series. Seven of Nine floated my boat.

3 Likes

My favorite was the Deep Space Nine series. Back when I was watching it a lot, I used to like the moral complexity. The rest of the series has very black/white morality. Deep Space Nine leaves a little room for the complexity of being human.

Maybe on re-watch, I’ll change my mind.

I also haven’t watched the newest one, Star Trek: Enterprise, so we’ll see how that one rates.

2 Likes

I liked the original series, but perhaps that was cos I have happy memories of watching it with my Dad, who loved Sci-Fi. On long car journeys we used to take turns developing a horror/sci-fi story called The hook of slime. It was completely preposterous, I wished we had recorded it.

2 Likes

Maybe you could write what you remember of it here? Sounds fun.

1 Like

Sadly no, it was years and years ago and it was a great long rambling saga that made no sense to anyone (I remember by older sister and mother being baffled by it), including us, but Dad and I enjoyed it.

1 Like

I’ve been into Star Trek as long as can remember and I’m still watching the latest series Star Trek Discovery and waiting to see Star Trek Picard, as well as the two new series still in development. Although the original series is about 50 years old, some of it still holds up, but my favourite is The Next Generation, which despite a shaky first and second season, became the best series ever. My DVD stash is mainly Star Trek in its various guises, although I’m missing some of it, as not all Star Trek is brilliant as there are one or two duff episodes and a couple of the ST movies were pretty awful.

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard too much about Discovery. I thought that Enterprise was the last one. Thanks for the heads up. I knew about Picard but the only place to watch that here is Paramount Plus.

Uh oh, I’ve been thinking about getting Paramount Plus. Was just talking about that with someone yesterday. She told me that her two favorite streaming services are Paramount Plus and Netflix, and she has them all. I’ve already got Hulu and HBO Max, just recently. Now I’m being tempted by a third. . . and some colorful pens from another thread. Yikes! Haha.

In the UK, all Star Trek has been removed from Netflix, which caused a bit of a reaction with fans, just as the latest series of Discovery (season 4) was about to be aired. It is available for free on Pluto Tv at the moment. Star Trek Picard is available on Amazon Prime. Star Trek Brave New Worlds is a new series which is a spin-off from Discovery, which has no release date, although I suspect it will be on Paramount+, and then there is the long awaited Star Trek Section 31 which is still in development.
Then there is another Star Trek movie in the works…

Love it or hate it…it’s going to be around for quite some time yet.

2 Likes

Ya didna like old Bill the prankster? Okay, he was a tad stilted at the beginning, but as he got into the part there were times when he could barely hide his inner laughter.

I prefer that one too.Some of the aliens were treated as hostile by some but as gods by others.Terry Farrell was in it too.

1 Like

I’m an avid Star Trek fan!!!

Star Wars as well!

Actually, most Sci-Fi movies/series will do just fine by me!

2 Likes

Yowza! That must have been maddening!

This is weird. Voyager is not on US Netflix but DS9 and TNG are, according to JustWatch.

Picard is not on Amazon Prime here. :frowning: I’ve been wanting to watch that for such a long time.

Ooh, more to look forward to. Thanks for the update. I haven’t been keeping up.

I liked StarTrek - couldn’t stand Shatner - definitely more ego than talent!

2 Likes

I thought Kirk,Spock ,Doc and Scotty worked well together in the first Trek.It was the best thing about it.

3 Likes