Any Laptop Experts here?

In the short term, I’d use the 64 GB freebie drive, which you mentioned earlier, to set up a recovery boot drive.

The idea of a recovery drive is that it boots when your hard drive refuses.

If your back up laptop has fairly new Windows you could do it on there.

Once made, (not difficult - depending on what Windows you’re on) and once you have it, you try to boot with it plugged in to your USB.

If it, actually, boots from that new SD drive it proves that your hard drive is the villain.

Even if the laptop doesn’t fully boot, but puts some messages up, it’s a big clue (hard drive + S/W)

Many hard drives are not to difficult to test & fix as long as they spin up.

That’s where plugging the hard drive into a USB adaptor serves it’s purpose.

Can you please tell us the make & model, of both of your lappies, and what Windows (W10?) they are on?

The difficulty is Ted, my new laptop is a Chrome book…I don’t think that would work with your suggestion? The one that broke was W10, HP Laptop…this one I’m on now is a Chromebook.

May I but in and ask if you’re getting a bios screen, or nothing at all?
Because nothing at all leads to far more possibilities of potential causes, though as has been said earlier with any recent replacements being a starting point.

1 Like

OK, thanks for that.

Do you have a friend, or neighbour, who you could press to make, or lend you, a recovery drive?

Or try your hard drive in/or on their PC.

Not sure what a bios screen is, Zaphod. There is nothing happening on screen. Its like the TV when its switched off…just a black screen. Zero activity on it, no cursor no lights, nowt :frowning:

Not really no, Ted. Nobody I know personally is that au fait with computers, and I would hate for anything to go wrong! Its fine, I’ll tinker about with it (and absorb any responsibility if it goes awry!), and then I’ll take it to a professional. There’s no rush at the moment since I’m able to get online. Yesterday I was in a little panic and suddenly being thrown into an old school life! :smiley:

Have a virtual hug PD, because I know how horrible it is not only when they go wrong but if you then lose stuff off them too.
:hugs:

That’s why I now have two backup discs connected to my router as well as one which I plug in manually twice a week.
Some might say it’s overkill but if one develops a fault I still have a backup.

It’s that blue’y screen with teletext writing on it which get’s accessed at boot up (if you’re quick enough to hit the del or esc button suggested while the screen is briefly black.

Ahh, right…well I tried to quickly press buttons when i opened it, but as its not even booting up, nothing happens. Its just stares blankly at me

Start at the very beginning, is there a power light on when its plugged in with its charger.

Yes Caricature. Its white-ish and is at the edge of the laptop, not at the power button bit.

The technical expression is “it’s a stiff” .Dead. Kaput. Pushing up the fjords.

Does that indicate its charged ? mine is blue when fully charged.

I haven’t noticed Caricature…I didn’t check on that light after I know its charging. However, on this little Chromebook I have, the light changes from red (charging) to blue (fully charged).

See…paying attention now! :+1:

Try to start it again and keep pressing f10, this on an hp gets to the bios if it can, see what happens.

1 Like

Ok…yes its HP. Elitebook…ok hang on…see the thing is, you are all thinking something happens when I lift up the lid…it doesn’t. It doesn’t “wake” or whirr into action. Its just a lump of black plastic. Pressing power, or F10 makes no difference. :frowning:

On the plus side, it might just be a simple component failure and thus cheap to replace. If so, then your hard drive might be fully intact, along with the data on it.

At least its established it wont start to even get to the bios, @PixieKnuckles any independent pc repairers around, probably cheaper and more savvy than say the help in PC world.

Agree 100%. They won’t have huge overheads which PCWorld will have.

I suspect that the fact that Pixie had to change the battery was a symptom of an impending component failure.

I’d rather go to PC World, if I’m honest…there are pop up shops round here that claim to fix phones and laptops, but I’m distrustful of them…one minute there they are, the next week the shops shut. :open_mouth:

Yes, the battery was discharging awfully fast from a full charge. I got a new one and replaced it, but clearly the damage was done :cry: