Any Laptop Experts here?

Too late

1 Like

Thanks Ted, well so far there is nothing but silence. I removed the battery and still silence. The power light is on but nobody’s home nothing is happening. Not even the fan is running. I don’t have an SSD card in it. I might have to get that HD reader thing that @Chillie6 suggested. Haven’t bought anything yet though

Enjoy dinner! :smiley:

Just popped away from the table, for a minute!
Here’s a trick question - have you recently noticed if the clock, on the bottom tight of the screen, has been keeping the right time?
Reason for asking is that there is a separate internal battery, called the bios battery, which is there to keep the pc basic info safe when the PC is switched off. If that battery fails the clock quite often goes wrong!
Also, when you say the power light is on, do you mean the light built into the ON button or the one on the front edge of the laptop (often 3 little lights there two white & a red, the battery usually is on when the battery is charging. If that battery is duff, a lot of basic things cannot happen - they usually last 5 or 6 years.

1 Like

Thank you Ted, I do appreciate you persevering with this, despite you having guests!

The clock had no issues with time at all.

The light I mentioned is at the edge of the Laptop. Its amber and there are no other lights showing. It goes off when I unplug the charger. There is no light anywhere else (the power button)

Good, that red light means the PC is trying to charge the battery, if the battery gets fully charged that light would go off.

Does the CD tray open & close when the button is pressed?

1 Like

It doesn’t have a CD tray at all.

Would the battery have run out that quickly Ted, if I closed the lid and it was at 50% or therabouts?

If the battery went open circuit it would be a dead budgie! (but if the orange light is on it probably means that charging is taking place, current is flowing in)

Do any indicators come on?

e.g. The one asking for the boot up password?

Is there anything else plugged in to the USB sockets, or anywhere?

When it used to fire up OK, could you hear the drive whizzing up to speed?

1 Like

With the power removed, and the battery taken out, press the power button and keep it pressed for at least 45-60secs. This will discharge any built-up charge in the bios and battery. Plug it back in and see if it boots.

1 Like

I have plugged it in again, just to check. The amber light seems more white now. Nothing happens when I press the power button and the screen is blank so no password opportunity to be had.
No I don’t recall ever hearing the drive whizzing up, on start up, but I did hear the fans sometimes. and it did get awfully warm underneath. This was before I changed the battery. It still got warm with the new battery.

Thanks for pitching in, Judd
so what does this do? If removing all power sources, how can anything discharge? I’ll give it a go anyway because I want to try anything, but I’m just curious :smiley:

Check out Judd’s suggestion first.

If that doesn’t work we could be talking about:-

1. creating a recovery drive using an SD card. (might be done on a different laptop)

2. Getting the hard drive out and seeing if it’s visible/checkable on a different PC (one of your friends might have a cable device to allow a drive to be connected to the new PC USB port - they must NOT WRITE TO IT!

3. Take the new battery to the shop and ask why it seems not to work. They’d possibly do a quick free test?

4. Slim chance but, is the battery the same model as your new PC?

1 Like
  1. Hmmm ok, worth a try
  2. Going to try and get one of those adaptors to do that thing
  3. Its Scotland
don’t get nowt for nowt up here!
  4. Nope sorry :frowning:

I know Dex
well I missed you all! I HAD to do something :heart_eyes:

Thank you everybody for trying to help. I will do all of these suggestions tomorrow then take it away to see PC World if nothing works. My word, so much techy knowledge here! :smiley:

Yep. Can relate to that sense of emptiness and despair.

1 Like

Don,t forget @PixieKnuckles, if you want to feel that sense of the pointlessness of life, just start a conversation with Harbs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just one last point (probably make you more miserable) that, if you seek out a device to try checking out your hard drive on a different PC, you need to know the type of connection which your current hard drive fits into.
They have been changing over the years.
Notice the ad, placed above, does ask you for the make and model you’re buying it for.

If you know someone who can take your hard drive out, for you, it would be worth a go.(You can tell the shop what pins it has)

Exactly. I have two. Belt and braces!

2 Likes

Two of everything is good 
 :+1:

Hmmm yes, that’s a good idea
I now have two broken laptops to fix! :laughing: However, if I can fix them, I could use them for storage. :+1: