Anti-masks - attitude - this sums it all up! FB post

I’ve been somewhat puzzled why the covid-denying anti-vax, anti mask bunch get so much pleasure out of posting on groups like this–i had the following reply on another forum:-

" Why do these people get so upset about a very simple means of protecting our communities, it’s all about point of view, you should listen to some of them when they deride masks, in the face of all evidence they will assert that masks ‘do not work’ what they mean is that cloth or surgical masks will not protect them, personally, individually, selfishly, and yeah they are right cloth and surgical masks will give them very limited protection, it’s not zero but it is very low.

But there you see the entire problem with these people, they can only see their immediate short term interest but they are too dumb and/or too mean to go out and spend the money on the selfish masks that would actually protect them, i.e. FFP3 or the American equivalent that is better than an N95 mask (FFP3 is way way better than N95) so they deride masks because they think they get nothing from them.

It never occurs to them that seeing everyone else around them wearing a mask is the thing that is protecting them because they basically don’t give a sh** about anyone else other than themselves, mask wearing of lower quality masks like surgical or even cloth face coverings work only if the majority of people sharing an environment wear them, wearing that mask means you are reducing the chance that the virus will infect those around you and that protects you, your family and everyone else.

With Omicron we may well have reached a point where ordinary masks make no difference but that has not been the case for the last two years and even now some form of barrier is better than none, from a selfish viewpoint FFP3 masks will, even now, reduce your viral load and even though infection via the mucus membranes and tear ducts of the eyes is still a possibility it is likely to be slower and deliver a lower overall viral load even if you do get infected via your eyes, any mask is better than none for society but these people don’t care about society they only care about themselves.

The Anti-vaxxers. it’s pretty much the same reasoning but now it is about opinion, they have been taught for decades now that their opinion is every bit as valid as the next guy or gal, that has been the educational and political thrust for decades now, the problem is that way too many people take that as licence to think that their opinion is equally as important as provable facts and that is the root of entitlement, opinion trumps reality because that is what they have been taught, what was missed is the bit about corroboration and supporting evidence and facts being tested against their opinion, hence we live in a world where facts are what you want to believe, facts are no longer reality.

This is more immediately obvious in USA society and politics but it is everywhere now and this debasement of reality is entirely deliberate because by devaluing reality you can more easily tribalise a population and this is an extremely powerful way to subvert democratic institutions everywhere.

If you were going to write an instruction manual in how to undermine a democratic society over decades, promotion of conspiratorial thinking and debasement of factual reality would be right up there at the start in chapter one, and the reality is that it has happened we already live in that world."

I think it sums it up rather well.

1 Like

It is SO easy to make a decent filtering mask and somewhere around this set up I posted a YouTube video that describes how to make a properly contour fitting one.
If spun polyester filter medium is trapped between two outer layers, its as good if not better than the commercially available FFP3 types out there. All that is needed to run them up is a sewing machine and it’s so easy too :+1:
Just type in No Fog Face Mask and all the instructions are there. You can add filter medium in the middle if you want better filtration.
EDIT … here ya go👇

3 Likes

I am seriously doubting whether masks do any good now. I have always worn one when it was mandatory (and again now) even though I feel faint and dizzy. Everybody I know who has tested positive have also worn masks yet still get it.

Looking at some of the homemade masks that are not effective or some of the filthy ones people drag out of their pockets I see no point anyway. Then there are the surgical types which actually say on the boxes that they will not prevent coronavirus.

2 Likes

That is because the masks do not protect eyes and eyes are just as capable to absorb viruses from the circulating air as nose and mouth. Given enough exposure, the skin will also absorb viruses which is why sanitizer has been pushed and pushed.

there was a study that found people who wear glasses are less likely to catch the virus. Wearing a mask and visor is probably the safest option for those worried about virus entering through the membrane in the eye. However, I think the same study or a similar one found that it’s only a big risk if someone sneezes in your face.

I don’t think covid passes through the skin. I’ve not bothered with the hand washing fiasco for months now. So many surfaces are now disinfected and if I wear a mask I don’t touch my face. I looked into this a while ago and they do not have definitive research confirming transmission via touch. That’s possibly why they stopped making such a big deal about handwashing in official communications.

1 Like

I share my home with two advanced nurse practitioners and they told me the skin can and will allow viruses to pass through given enough exposure because the skin breathes. When they were involved with critical care patients, they were provided with full head to toe PPE and that included a filtered air head helmet; not to protect the patient but them as staff.

There are some viruses that can pass through the skin such as Herpes, shingles, chicken pox, etc. But I’ve never heard of an airborne virus passing through the skin. E.g you cannot catch flu by someone sneezing on your arm unless it goes up your nose or into your eyes at the same time. The skin is a barrier and an airborne virus is to fragile to penetrate it. I recall people being worried they could catch Covid through sitting on a toilet seat. But they would be likely to catch it in a public loo because someone sneezes in the next cubicle and they breathe it in. Most such myths about fomite transmission have been debunked as it’s extremely rare.

It can however pass through the more delicate blood/brain barrier once it gets into your eyes. All the more reason everyone should be wearing a mask so that they cannot sneeze at your face.

Pretty sure we’ve all been saying the same thing about masks, over and over and over again.

Bottom line is that wearing one is likely to induce different behaviour patterns by those who are wearing one and those around them. This is probably, IMHO, their main function.

1 Like

So many experts on the inter net.Our GP’s surgery wear N95’s , I would think they would know more than us,that’s why we do too.

3 Likes

That is certainly what I have read/heard too. It’s an airborne disease transmitted by aerosol particles, hence its high transmission in indoor settings with much less risk outdoors.

That’s also why choirs, gyms and singing were banned for so long.

3 Likes

My GP has made it clear that they are dealing with a disease they do not yet understand. I’ve seen very inconsistent adherence to PPE among different medical professionals over the last year going back and forth to clinics with an elderly parent. Lots of mixed messages and I’ve met a few anti vaxx district nurses.

They thought at one point there may be some risk ref open wounds but no real evidence that it’s a likely transmission route. I was really paranoid last year with parcels received and shopping, wearing gloves etc. I gave up all that when they suddenly announced it’s airborne. Then all the ads about singing happy birthday and hand washing with an egg timer suddenly stopped around the same time.

They still know more than me.

1 Like

I wear a mask
I don’t want people spraying me with their germs.

With such a contrary population left to be personally responsible it’s no wonder the virus is spreading . Some people are not even responsible for putting litter in a bin much less anything else .

3 Likes

I bought a mask when I was in China in 2019. The Chinese know lots about masks and wear them frequently. It’s washable and has a replaceable filter - so is ideal if you wear glasses. Last year I bought another similar mask. BUT when I went on holiday in September, I was told I had to wear a surgical mask on the plane. I also have to wear a surgical mask at the vaccine centre. So presumably they have carried out comparisons and tests etc.

I wear a mask…I also still use the anti bacterial gels if they are available although I’ve noticed not all shops have them now but I have them in the car too so when I’ve finished shopping I use them before driving home

2 Likes

Masks IMO should be mandatory now .
There should be absolutely no exemptions in public places .

3 Likes

I tire of all this chat, if you wear a mask, with gaps around the nose, it will protect other folk (and in some low risk situations) protect you. If you wear a mask in medium risk situations that is well sealed to your face, it will protect other folks and MAY protect you. If you wear a mask in high risk situations, you and other folks are probably vulnerable, so, avoid these if at all possible.
I still watch the driving school cars go by, instructor and pupil masked up (not sure how well they are worn), but, even on a mild day, no windows open, there are only so many lung-fulls of air in that car so, it follows both are sharing that, mask or no mask.

3 Likes

…and both presumably, have taken LFT tests prior to the lesson.

I genuinely HATE the situation we all find ourselves in now - but that latter phrase “we all find ourselves in now” sadly doesn’t seem to apply to everyone…not just stupid people either but those who are just plain inconsiderate to others. On the other hand, there are very many people who aren’t letting this situation get to them and continue their normal lives - going on holiday; having parties; going to festivals… Even during lockdown I know of some who had multiple bubbles and even travelled when and where they liked! Much as some of us frown on them, they appear to be far less affected …