Anti-drone laser weapon hub to be created in Scotland

Raytheon UK said the “advanced laser integration centre” would open next year and would help meet growing demand for laser weapons designed to destroy small attack drones.

The firm said the war in Ukraine had highlighted the threat they posed.

The centre will focus on the testing, fielding and maintenance of defensive high-energy laser (HEL) weapons.

Raytheon’s anti-drone lasers are small enough to be fitted to military vehicles.

The future is now … :scream_cat:

Nothing to do with the Independence, for Scotland, discussions.

I hope we don’t invest anything there until that’s settled.

1 Like

Well it seems to be getting refused by all new contenders for PM, so that’s going to put Nicola in a bit of a pickle.

1 Like

I think research into anti-drone technology has been going on for some time, ever since it was realised how effective a drone could be. I would imagine it’s quite advanced by now.

I cant see the point since Helios was developed with its anti laser, laser capabilities
More Than a Laser, HELIOS is an Integrated Weapon System | Lockheed Martin

I read recently (somewhere) that our ships may be fitted with these, if it ever happens.
If it works, it could be an excellent defensive weapon. Instead of relying on anti-aircraft guided missiles, which take time to reach their target and whose target could evade a strike or use jamming technology, this could fire a laser beam (at the speed of light) at the target, giving it no time to escape or to overcome the effects.
We shall see.

2 Likes

I’m also informed that some are being fitted with DEW direct energy weapons which are high intensity laser based.

I got the impression that that is exactly what the article was referring to.