Animal Extinction and Climate Change

I don’t think that overpopulation is necessarily the earth destroying monster that it’s made out to be Surfermom.
I agree that something needs to be done for future generations as climate change will probably reduce the area of habitable land available for humans, and indeed, there are places now that cannot sustain life, and throwing money and resources at the people living there is just counterproductive, and a tempting opportunity for corruption.

The Earth is 71% water, and 29% land, 27% is high mountains, forests, deserts or unsuitable terrain for human habitation; 1.8% is pasture or arable farm land; mankind occupies some of the remaining 0.2% The world is a far bigger place than most people can contemplate and as you can see, as far as being overpopulated, the world hardly notices we are here…And pre 20th century it didn’t until we started driving, flying and sailing big diesel engined or coal burning ships, and that’s when our problems began.

Yer average civilised bloke or woman these days wants a car each, complete with sat nav and all the latest gizmo’s. A house decorated every other year filled with labour saving devices such as dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines, fridges, freezers, TV’s, computers, smartphones, and then there is clothing (accounting for almost 30% of CO2 production and pollution) with fashions that change at the blink of an eye, so good clothes are binned off hardly worn. Food is not a problem, drive down to your local supermarket and purchase food from all over the world for less than the cost of smartphone contract…

We all earn too much money compared to our needs and it’s priced us out of the global market, obtaining most of our goods and food from somewhere else. Our priorities these days are listening to music, watching TV and box sets, playing computer games and spending time on facebook, twitter or forums…

Priorities in the fifties was putting food on the table and it was so expensive compared to wages, that most people I knew grew crops in their back gardens to save money. Nobody owned a car, they didn’t even own their own home, except the well to do…And things got repaired instead of binned…

Everyone on this forum has heard this all before and I’m not suggesting that we return to those good old days, but for the human race to continue we must reduce our demand on the Earth’s resources because in comparison to our 19th century predecessors we are far too expensive to keep. Even a population of 7.7 billion living by 1800’s standards would put no strain on the Earth at all.

Donkeyman, thanks. Good to read your thoughts on the subject. One of the things I enjoy about this site is learning and appreciating the difference between our countries and cultures. Is the vegan movement over there really that militant? :023:

Puddle Duck
:-D, yes, we probably consume just too much of everything. It’s awfully hard to discipline ourselves to do just about anything.

Floydy, I think you express how most people feel. There’s nothing wrong with the way you live. I suppose that if we all try a little, that’s something ;-). Artful does make a point that if we are aware, we might find a way here and there, that combined with everyone else, might make a little difference.

Muddy, you make an important point :-D. I suppose there is always the potential for new - old viruses :confused:. New one mutate like crazy so our immune systems have to remain vigilant. I do know that there was an outbreak of anthrax sometime back when it thawed out of permafrost. Immunologists are saying that the greater threat will probably come from tropical diseases like malaria and dengue fever as those pathogens have an expanded ecosystem.

OGF, what a thoughtful post :041:! You touched on some very valid points regarding the livable parts of the earth and the lifestyles of previous generations. There is no doubt that our affluence has crept up on us, and I am old enough to suffer when something that can be repaired is tossed out because it’s either too hard to find someone willing to do the repairs or replacement cost is cheaper.

We probably need to consume less for obvious reasons, but even if we become more disciplined how do we keep our economies afloat in such consumer-driven economies :102:?

Climate change! What sort of climate do we want? A moderately warm climate. This will upset people living in tropical regions like Africa and central America, those living in the the extreme northern and extreme southern parts of the planet. As the old saying goes, You can please some of the people some of the time etc;
We can all do our bit to help things like global warming but IMO we can do very little as the whole way the universe is changing will effect us all. It has been said that our planet,s orbit is changing. Very slightly but changing nevertheless and the smallest change can make a huge difference to our climate. No matter what we do, we can do nothing in the long run. Our climate will change and there is nothing we can do to stop it. We may be able to slow the process down a little but that,s all.
Millions of years ago the northern part of our planet was covered in ice. A hundred years ago the Thames was known to freeze over and the sea around the coast was known to freeze. The earth is getting warmer and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

Just been watching the local politics show.
Urging people to plant up to a million trees to ‘Save the planet’
Fine but as soon as these trees start to grow along comes the council. “We have to build a thousand more houses” So up come the trees to be replaced with bricks and mortar.
We just can,t win.

Good post Ben, and how much wood does it take to build a new house? ‘A’ frames and roof joists, door frames and floorboards…So up come more trees.
And we don’t get bricks and mortar for free, lot’s of heat (CO2) and pollution…(Lime Quarrying) makes a mess of the country…

I was told by me mum not to mix me drinks Floydy?
Who should l listen to?
BDonkeyman!

Grow more trees, live in tree houses, use rope swings for

transport, does away with cars and pollution in on shot?
Use the extra sunshine and heat to dry out all the sewage to use
as fertilizer without concentrating it all in one or two places as
we do now?
Trouble is, what would we do with the rich people?
Donkeyman!

Who’s mixing drinks? :confused:
A beer and coffee over two hours won’t make one ill, Donkeyman. That’s what I’m stuck with at the moment, the only other option is not go out at all and climb some walls around the house tearing my hair out. :shock:

I may be a bit biased SM, as the younger generations in my family
have mostly become first vegitarian, and now vegans! which some
of them practice to the level of being a religion!
So if they visit us our whole routine and diet is completely changed
to suit them, and if we go out to eat with them most of the time is
spent searching for meat free venues etc!
This trend is now becoming part of government policies as was
witnessed a couple of days ago in Holland when farmers blocked
roads with tractors and trailers to protest a proposal by government
That farmers, irrespective of how many animals they have, they
reduce them by 50%!
Maybe you aint heard about this yet over there? I think it would
cause BIG trouble with your farmers what with firearms etc!!!

Regards Donkeyman!

Sorry to hear that Floydy, hope its not going to last long for you!

l think l will stick with me mums advice though coz l got trouble
the few times l ignored her!!
Regards Donkeyman!

To think I once fancied going for a pint with you Floydy. :-p:-p

On tree planting projects:

1. One tree removes about 26 pounds of carbon dioxide each year, the equivalent of 11,000 miles worth of annual vehicle emissions.

2. New York City trees that were part of an urban planting project remove 2,200 tons of air pollution each year, the impact of which saves the city about $10 million each year.

3. The shade and insulation of the city’s trees provide $27 million savings in heating and cooling costs.

4. The trees take up almost 900 million in stormwater, saving the city about $35 million annually.

5. NYC trees remove 42,000 tons of carbon from the air annually that would otherwise contribute to greenhouse warming.

6. Each tree planted in provides $6 in investment return per year above the cost of planting and maintenance.

7. Trees provide an 11 percent higher property value, draw more visitors to hotels and vacation properties, provide habitats for an otherwise barren ecosystem…

…and they add to everyone’s enjoyment and quality of life.

In the whole of the Earth, there really isn’t any family of species that provides more for in terms of resources, habitat, health, protection, microclimate moderation, a place to carve your love’s initials than trees, or a shady spot and drink your blackbird ale ;-).

So put that in your pipe and smoke it Donkeyman…But preferably not in NY…:043:

The invitation still stands, Bob.
Not serious about the ale flavourings btw :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ooops…:blush::blush::blush:

Having lived in the southern forests of Africa for the last 17yrs
OGF I am in tune with Surfamums philosophy l think, and yours also
if l am not mistaken?
She has a greater command of data than myself allthough l know
the basics first hand!
Its nice to communisate with two such kindred spirits l think?
Especially when dispensed with humour! LOL!

Regards Donkeyman!

Preciate your response and understanding Donkeyman…And Yes! we do seem to sing from the same song sheet…:wink:

All together NOW, I AM A LUMBERJACK AND I DONT CARE!
I WORK ALL DAY AND-- – – ----
and so on, and so on!
Regards Donkeyman!

Yeah yeah yeah I realise my mistake :blush:

Whenever then Bob…

Great post !