Angry about hedges!

My neighbours on 3 sides have let their hedges get out of control.
One side, the guy asked if he could come in and cut the hedge, he cut the bit at the front and left it growing wild with privet, brambles, shrubs and bindweed at the back.

Behind me they’ve got jasmine, ivy, brambles , elder growing over and through the top of my fence. It was just a 6’ wire fence but I put weed fabric and bamboo roll over it to try to stop their plants. There’s also a huge “blob” if ivy hanging over my side that pigeons are nesting in which is threatening to bring the fence down.

The other side have bamboo, over 10’ tall which grows up through my side of the fence, some is growing from under the bungalow. When I spoke to them about it the woman, puffed on her vape thing and said, “Oh yeah, sorry about that (chuckle) you should dig it up and sell it, costs a lot in garden centres”. It sheds flaky stuff all over my garden when it gets higher.

Since lockdown, my daughter and my wasband haven’t been able to help cut things back so it’s all spreading into my garden!

I asked my HA landlord if any help is available.
If I pay I may get some kind of help, they can’t do anything about hedge at the back as it’s private property, the garden is my responsibility, even though hedges are not planted on my side of the fence.
However they are sending a surveyor to look at the bamboo growing from under my bungalow (surprise :lol:).

I already have to pay £50+ for a garden bin which is 80% filled with neighbours’ weeds.

Fed up now, I am!

No wonder the last tenant left a watering can marked, “weed killer”!

Oh Tess, I sooooo understand where you’re coming from.

Remember a few years back when I had that subsidence problem here?
Well that was all other people’s vegetation - not mine.

My Insurers asked them to remove the offending trees, which they did after months of arguments - and they were also asked to keep their hedges trimmed down in future. They don’t! It makes me so angry. They are selfish gits.

Your bamboo is a difficult problem. I understand that stuff is very invasive, so that definitely needs seeing to somehow, but perhaps talk to the neighbour first, just incase they are unaware it is growing through to your side.

Good luck gal, and let us know how you get on if you can, please.

I did Mups, she said to dig it up and sell it!

I’ll post photos later.

Kerosene
Did a hole on your side put in a bit of tube or pipe .
Cover top of pipe with a flower pot or something innocent looking
Keep pouring in the kerosene until the blasted bamboos die .

:shock: :mrgreen:

My daughter had a similar problem with a couple of Leylandii growing right on her boundary and a miserable git of a neighbour. He refused to do anything and indeed threatened her if she touched them. I dug down her side, found the roots and drove copper nails in. Problem died within a year! The neighbour accused her of damaging his trees, which she in all honesty denied, because it was me!

Knowing my luck, she’d give up vaping and chuck a fag end on it.

Oooo there’s a thought! :lol:

Naughty! But clever!

I wouldn’t mind trees though.

What annoyed me was that the woman from the HA said it was my responsibility to keep my garden tidy! Therefore it should be theirs too as both sides are tenants too!

Do copper nails work on ivy or bamboo?

The answer is right there in front of you … find the modern equivalent of Agent Orange (glyphosate) and spray the greenery your side. A few days later and all should start withering - QED!

Done that, it only killed the bindweed. I sprayed all of it, even cut the bamboo and squirted some inside the stems. It just shrugged it off. A bit of ivy died but soon got replaced.

Right, this is from one side, not all of it just one corner,I’ve been putting rubbish there as I’m getting ready to plant a wildflower lawn when I get some help.

https://i.postimg.cc/3wkdjvBS/IMG-20200702-155215-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FKkHkQrw/IMG-20200702-155206-1.jpg

This is back fence bordering private house

https://i.postimg.cc/430Hj5yR/IMG-20200702-155108-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/c4cgdZCm/IMG-20200702-155203-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Wpwbk8Vp/IMG-20200702-155944-1.jpg

Bamboo nextdoor other side:https://i.postimg.cc/KzrFtGdp/IMG-20200702-160005-1.jpg

Cut as much as you can from all sides and throw it back over the relevant fences. If you have a ladder then better still. I don’t see anythig there which cannot be cut using a pair of garden shears.

Alternatively, hire a long reach hedge cutter. Will take about twenty minutes to do that lot.

Think that the law is that you are allowed to trim any overhanging stuff on your side of the boundary, but should ask the plant owners if they want the offcuts. Slinging it over the fence is not really a great idea.

If I could I would, arthritis etc. won’t let me. I couldn’t climb a ladder if I wanted to.

Unfortunately it looks like you’ll just have to wait until some family and friends are able to come round and help, unless there are any local voluntary groups?

As for help locally
The HA doesn’t sound very helpful at all !
It’s not fair you should have all this work .
You neighbours sound like jerks of the first water .

I think the young couple on one side have disabilities, he seems very quiet and doesn’t always talk. The bamboo people are plain weird, I’ve nicknamed them Mopey and Dick, she’s very narcissistic and talks like a slow version of that politics bloke, thingamybob Peston. At the back, I’ve heard an eldery posh lady, can’t see her for ivy. She gets her grass mowed, I tried yelling through the hedge to get attention but no luck. I don’t want to go around there in case I get the wrong house or she gives me a virus!
Whatever happens I’ll have to pay I expect. :frowning:

I will ask on the local Corona help page, I think people volunteer on there. I don’t mind paying if it gets my garden in a state I can manage.
You never know there might be a kind bearded gent out there!
Thanks for listening to my moan! :slight_smile:

Haha :slight_smile: I was just about to suggest weedkiller!

The overhanging foilage belongs to her neighbours. Strictly speaking she is not allowed to keep/dispose of any hanging branches. She is quite within the law to do as I suggest. She has already approached neighbour’s about her concerns. They have chosen to turn a blind eye. What, exactly, is she expected to do?